Abbott and Costello Meet . . .

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Abbott and Costello meet . . .

Thanks so much, Sean.

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with Laurel and Hardy.

Thanks so much, Sean.

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with Laurel and Hardy.

I had the same problem you had with Lou's body, trying to get a decent shape for Hardy's body (he seemed to be a bit larger than Lou). I got a fat suit, which I can add to, but the clothes to fit him are the problem (was aiming for The Music Box look). I can make a Wampa but can't really sew miniature clothing from scratch. I may end up altering an outfit I bought for a larger doll to see if I can fit it to him. Well see...

Sean

I think that you could easily alter the shirt by removing the stitched sides of the shirt and adding a strip of cloth there to widen the body. The good thing is you will not have to alter the collar.

I don't know how you will manage the overalls without starting from scratch.

I'd like to follow your progress... Do you have a thread dedicated to this L & H build? I really liked your Wampa work in progress pics!

I think that you could easily alter the shirt by removing the stitched sides of the shirt and adding a strip of cloth there to widen the body. The good thing is you will not have to alter the collar.

I don't know how you will manage the overalls without starting from scratch.

I'd like to follow your progress... Do you have a thread dedicated to this L & H build? I really liked your Wampa work in progress pics!

No I haven't done much as far as documenting the L&H project. I will probably do that soon as Hardy's head is nearly finished. The Wampa project sidetracked me while I felt stuck as far as the clothes went for Hardy and trying to find or make a smaller bowler hat for Stan. I got an Alex/Clockwork Orange bowler hat from whoever made the Clockwork Orange figures for Hardy, but Stan's hat is smaller. I need to find a solution to that or sculpt my own.

Sean

As promised, here are a few shots of my upgraded Strange Monster...
DSCN4158.jpg

The BigBoy body makes for a much more robust Monster(the teddy bear is my wife's idea,but it works)...
DSCN4159.jpg

Because the figures arms are scaled for a regular Buck body, a little re-sculpting was neccessary(I love Magic-Sculpt)
DSCN4161.jpg

Between the basic size of the BB and my own tweaks, he's roughly 13.5".Should be taller, but the proportions are already a bit dicey as it is...
DSCN4160.jpg

Classic...PS

Wax, did you do anything to the paint?

It looks better than mine.

I also added to the height of my Strange monster by building up the height of the shoes, but your tweaks put mine to shame...

He looks really good!

I had to paint the added material on the arms,and on the top of the head,which I re-contoured(hated the "dip"in the middle).Other than that his paint is stock(matching that was fun).He gained a little in the legs when I swapped the booted lower legs for the Kurgan's little footies;cut was made low on the thigh, at a point where the BB leg is the same thickness as the heaviest part of the original leg.Thank Gahd Sideshow casts their parts in styrene;makes modding them so much easier...PS

I had to paint the added material on the arms,and on the top of the head,which I re-contoured(hated the "dip"in the middle).Other than that his paint is stock(matching that was fun).He gained a little in the legs when I swapped the booted lower legs for the Kurgan's little footies;cut was made low on the thigh, at a point where the BB leg is the same thickness as the heaviest part of the original leg.Thank Gahd Sideshow casts their parts in styrene;makes modding them so much easier...PS

All the work you put into this really paid off. Great Glenn Strange figure!

Hey Jungle,

First, let me preface this by saying that I LOVE your hats along with reading about the progress you (and everyone) is making..! This is one of my favorite threads...

That being said, for those that may want another option on hats, I ran across some when I searched under "1/6 captain hat" and found the image below...not quite as accurate as yours but I think they can work..

a394915d.png

Hi, Jerry. Those hats are good options. I'm always interested in seeing new ideas.

How are your "Buck Privates" Bud and Lou coming?

And... Guinness... New Pix are coming! Lou's shirt is almost done.

Hey Jim,
I thought you might like to see some pics of the painted heads...i have been focusing on trying to get Bud and Lou's heads just right for a while now. I think I'm almost there, but not quite. I believe I got a nice blending for the hair, and Lou's complexion, but need a little work on the eyes (and eyebrows) for both, and Lou's complexion a little more. I'm not a pro painter by any means, but it has been fun trying to make them better and better.
Once that is done, I plan to use your technique to scale them to the right size. That will be relatively easy, I hope. The challenge will be to increase the width of Lou's shirt...:confused:

fa77c186.jpg

e21b5d51.jpg

Last edited:

Right Shoulder Arms, Left Shoulder Arms, Right Shoulder Arms...

Looking good Jerry!

I couldn't tell from your photos what color eyes Bud has. I believe he had blue eyes in real life. There are a lot of colorized pictures of A&C to be found but you can't trust them since they were originally black and white photos.

You are doing a real good job with your paints, the figures are instantly recognizable. I wouldn't dare to try painting these myself... I would need a set of eyes that are twenty years younger than mine to pull it off.

Keep up the good work, I love seeing your progress with these guys!

Here is a real quick shot of the progress on Lou's shirt. I just have to trim the length of the shirt and put some cuffs on the sleeves once I trim them down to the proper length.

It also turns out that I may not even be using these head sculpts, Mr Barlow is about to reveal his take on Abbott and Costello. I'll have to decide which ones to use once I see them. I plan on getting the new sculpts and the sculpts that do not get used for this project will be used to make Bud and Lou from their TV show.

DSC_0022.jpg

Hey Jim,

I've been on the lookout for some oversized clothes for Lou (by the way, you're sewing expertise is awesome), and I ran across these work shirts at Monkey Depot. Seem to be oversized from the picture, and although they don't fit for use in "Buck Privates", maybe they will work for "A&C meet Frankenstein"...here is the link:

https://www.monkeydepot.com/Jacket_Newline_Miniatures_Civilian_Work_Jacket_p/nl0162-q131.htm

Hey thanks Jerry, the jacket is about the right color but the collar would have to be heavily modified to match the jackets in A & C Meet Frankenstein. If I can't pull off the look of the jackets on my own this is a great fall back item!

Nice find...

By the way Lou's shirt is done and I will start sewing his apron next. They are the easiest thing to make. I wish I knew how to use a sewing machine, this hand sewing of everything takes so much time...

Back