A General Chat about Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"NECA and HOT TOYS will be launching figures and collectables in late 201?" is what it looks like to me...

Let the speculation and complaining begin!!!

How long does it take to go from idea to product?

I'm honestly amazed at how Hot Toys is going to be releasing their Captain America 1/6 figure within the next month after the movie has only been out for a week. How long does it take them to make an idea turn into a product for us all to enjoy?

Do they get preview pictures to base their costume/sculpting designs on? Do they make the obvious accessories, then scramble to make possibly pivotal/important accessories that occur in the movie?

Re: How long does it take to go from idea to product?

Since HT bought the license, they got access to everything they need for reference. And the rest of the question, only an HT employee can answer that. :p

Re: How long does it take to go from idea to product?

You'd be surprised. It can take years.

I know the Cowboys & Aliens license was shopped around in 2009. Production takes 2 months. R&D is the thing that kills. I'd bet Hot Toys has been working on Cap since early 2010. They definitely saw the suit MONTHS before we did.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Hot Toys is now waiting until their figures are in production before they 'announce' them. You don't 'announce' Captain America in December, whip up a prototype, get it approved and manufactured in 6 months. . . it just doesn't happen. As SilentSurfer mentioned in his own thread, he painted the Battle Droids last year after Comic Con, they've been in production (refinements, adjustments all that) for a year. That doesn't count the months of reference work, sculpting of the body, testing all the joints, paint work, etc. I'd say the average figure from concept to production takes 2 years, give or take a few months.

This is titled on Bills blog 'Some old friends'

69464edejw1djnyhdrt8fj.jpg

Just think this is a cool pic, no matter whats in the way, people can still be friends.

Would we see a pic of Howard and Bill like this?? :lol

Do you guys think Hot Toys will ever make a move towards doing male headsculpts with rooted hair? To be honest, I think that is what the new Joker 2.0 will be all about.

Rooted hair to me looks crap most of the time.

I think it can only be done well by a custom figure maker who has the time and patience to do it properly.

IMG_0996.jpg

..they have it easy with female figures like Black widow and silk spectre they don't have to worry about hair at the sides of the sculpt, they just plant there hair on top, Joker would need much more tlc when it comes to rooted hair, and i don't think a mass producing company like hot toys could pull it off.

Yeah with time and effort and a particular figure it can look good. I dont think the female hot toys figs that have been done so far look all that though.

Do you guys think Hot Toys will ever make a move towards doing male headsculpts with rooted hair? To be honest, I think that is what the new Joker 2.0 will be all about.

I was thinking the same thing. They probably saw the customs. They saw the prices they were fetching. And now they will release their own.

They did showcase Whiplash with rooted hair in the IM Monaco display at Anicom if you missed it.

Back