A General Chat about Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You the same pre orders as myself

But I will say this, I have sold lot of other figures in recent months because I of both room and the feeling of being a horder and I have not regretted selling anything.
If you think you can live without certain figures, I'm of the opinion that you should sell em for Hot Toys.

I may wind up canceling Leonidas. I haven't decided if he is iconic enough for my collection.

I won't regret selling figures moreso, I have not made it a priority. I never sold anything using ebay, paypal, posting pics etc. I need to take the initiative to find out how all that works. :eek:

If Hot Toys is in the title of the thread and you don't like them or are sick of them, then don't read the thread! I don't read every thread or section. I don't have the time!

:lecture

this is a good thread btw.

anybody wanna throw in some theories/suggestions as to ht's next innovation? we already have life-like, poseable eyes in the PERS system. what's next?

i'd like to see "real" hair instead of sculpted. the realism of a ht sculpt and paint app, no matter how awesome, is always halted dead in its tracks by the one-look-and-u-know-its-not-a-real-person fakeness of sculpted hair. i know most of us are against doll-like rooted hair, but i was just thinking, a candidate like the tdk joker could have fibre-based hair and still avoid the doll feel. and if ht came up with some kind of new technology, it could look pretty convincing!

Agreed tylerdurden, but sometimes sculpted hair is the way to go. Real/rooted hair aint gonna cut it sometimes.

It was ED-209 what done it for me. McFarlane, the feckers, never bothered to make one to go along with their 7" Robocop and yet I knew I just had to have 209, any 209, represented in my collection. So I ordered one from Forbidden Planet, it took so long that by the time it turned up at my door I'd actually assumed they either forgot about me or they didn't have it in stock despite what the site said (as does happen with FP) and I'd forgotten about it. Couldn't believe it when this big box came for me.

That was my first HT and as we all know when it comes to this company you're kidding yourself if you think you'll "just get the one". Naturally Robocop, Aliens, Predator and Terminator followed. And for the first time since my early teens I jumped back on the superhero bandwagon too and started on the TDK line, followed by a back catalogue purchase of Superman, then on to Iron Man, jumping over to Medicom to get Spiderman (just before HT announced they had the license wouldn't you know), back to HT for Wolverine...I'm contemplating Blade...:rolleyes: Its non-stop and 2010 could be even busier with T2, maybe T1, Christopher Reeve superman, further Marvel superheroes. On top of this I still collect Hasbros Star Wars line and also NECA 7" and 12" figures as long as the licenses take me, which last year and this year they did and will - T2, Predator, Predator 2, Predators....

I don't think I want rooted hair. I just think it would add unnecessary problems to the manufacturing of the figures and if I'm being perfectly honest, I really don't want to be keeping my figures hair in check.

I really love HT's figures BUT the cost keeps me away.

I do think that Hot Toys could be a little cheaper in fairness! I know they are the best in the world at this but when you start going above a certain number for an action figure, I can imagine the conscience starting to get at you.

I may wind up canceling Leonidas. I haven't decided if he is iconic enough for my collection.

300 is one of my favs so this is a no brainer. What I am wondering is weather they will release a battle damaged version?

That was my first HT and as we all know when it comes to this company you're kidding yourself if you think you'll "just get the one". Naturally Robocop, Aliens, Predator and Terminator followed.

I was only planning on buying just Iron Man HT but once that Terminator with rubber skin came out, it was all over for me.
What's shipping like in Ireland then? Is the Forbidden Planet in Dublin the best place to get stuff from?

At the moment, I think HT is doing great on all their products. They have made figures that literally no other company has dare to make or even come close to what they have produced so far. The only draw back is, they are all license figures. That really is the limitation on what HT can do. They are limited by the source material. And that's Why I would really like to see HT creating their own toys. A toy line that is only limited by their abilities, and not whatever source material they get. Just imagine how far they can go with that.

I was tempted by Mattel's Ghostbusters 12" figures but as they were not up to the HT standard, I opted out. No 12" figures do compare.

I'd be interested in creator owned ideas.

And that's Why I would really like to see HT creating their own toys. A toy line that is only limited by their abilities, and not whatever source material they get. Just imagine how far they can go with that.

Interesting, but can't say someone inventing a character out of thin air would really interest me. I never get into licenses like Ape Explorers where they just seem to be made up. There are soo many untapped established licenses or historical events that have the fans already lined up just waiting to by. Newly invented characters or ideas you need to be sure that concept is going to fly or else its a bad investment.

Personally I think its best to leave it up to the natural Darwinian process that have determined pop culture icons and leave it up to toy manufactures just to translate them into toys.

Last edited:
Interesting, but can't say someone inventing a character out of thin air would really interest me. I never get into licenses like Ape Explorers where they just seem to be made up. There are soo many untapped established licenses or historical events that have the fans already lined up just waiting to by. Newly invented characters or ideas you need to be sure that concept is going to fly or else its a bad investment.

Personally I think its best to leave it up to the natural Darwinian process that have determined pop culture icons and leave it up to toy manufactures just to translate them into toys.

very true. And what I had in mind was for HT goes the long way to establish that. First create a comic/story that would (hopefully) gather fans and such. Then move forward to toys. Its something that I think all toy company would want to do. Have something of theirs and no one else's.

The creating of own idea's isn't that sort of what their plan with the Hot Angel line is/was?

The Machiko figure is based upon an excisting license and character but more according to HT's view of the character... :huh

The creating of own idea's isn't that sort of what their plan with the Hot Angel line is/was?

The Machiko figure is based upon an excisting license and character but more according to HT's view of the character... :huh

I thought machiko was based off a predator comic? Anyways, I was thinking something completely unrelated to already created properties.

very true. And what I had in mind was for HT goes the long way to establish that. First create a comic/story that would (hopefully) gather fans and such. Then move forward to toys. Its something that I think all toy company would want to do. Have something of theirs and no one else's.

Thats not really a model all that used anymore and certainly not one used by a relatively limited edition company aimed at adults. Adults typically collect based on their childhood icons.

What you're talking about worked for Mattell and Hasbro in the 80s, MASK, GIJOE, Captain Power, Transformers etc, but it doesn't happen as often anymore even for those huge companies. Shame I guess as some of those licenses made just to sell toys were great.

Thats not really a model all that used anymore and certainly not one used by a relatively limited edition company aimed at adults. Adults typically collect based on their childhood icons.

What you're talking about worked for Mattell and Hasbro in the 80s, MASK, GIJOE, Captain Power, Transformers etc, but it doesn't happen as often anymore even for those huge companies. Shame I guess as some of those licenses made just to sell toys were great.

well, I wasn't really referencing mattel, hasbro, etc. I guess with my asian background and HT is a HK company and all, I was more referring how things are done over in asia. New stuff are constantly created there and its not just toys. Comic, TV shows, anime, etc. Properties that goes from story/comic to TV/anime to Toys/collectable is still a very common practice.

I thought machiko was based off a predator comic? Anyways, I was thinking something completely unrelated to already created properties.

Yeah you're right, she is based upon a character in the Alien vs Predator comics and books, but I think she looked and was described totally different than the HT figure.
So they basically made their own interpretation of an existing character if I'm not mistaken...

But anyway, I know it's not a totally new creation, but it's not literally based on anything either.
I'm not sure if I'd buy stuff from self-created licenses or stories... I never have... I've bought a McFarlane Dragon or something unlicensed in the past because they looked awesome, but those figures where the first to go into storage because there wasn't any cool source material and just felt like figures instead of representations of awesome characters IMO...
I think for me it'd be the same with HT figs, as cool as they might be.

well, I wasn't really referencing mattel, hasbro, etc. I guess with my asian background and HT is a HK company and all, I was more referring how things are done over in asia. New stuff are constantly created there and its not just toys. Comic, TV shows, anime, etc. Properties that goes from story/comic to TV/anime to Toys/collectable is still a very common practice.

Thats not the impression I had of what you where originally talking about. Going from story to tv to collectible is exactly what 90% of current toys are.

My impression was that you were originally talking about HT coming up with a toy line and then making a tv show or comic to support it. Which would be very similar to what Hasbro did with GI JOE.

Does HT even broadcast commericals for the Asian market? How would they possibly move on to making tv shows and movies to support a completely invented brand they created?

Thats not the impression I had of what you where originally talking about. Going from story to tv to collectible is exactly what 90% of current toys are.

My impression was that you were originally talking about HT coming up with a toy line and then making a tv show or comic to support it. Which would be very similar to what Hasbro did with GI JOE.

Does HT even broadcast commericals for the Asian market? How would they possibly move on to making tv shows and movies to support a completely invented brand they created?

yeah, re-reading my original quote it does seem like I was talking/referencing mattel, hasbro,etc. Guess I should elaborate more on details but the main thing I was conveying was I want to see HT make something that is not limited by the original source material. Its kinda like watching your favorite comic book artist create something their own and totally blows away anything they did previously for DC or marvel. (ie, mignola's hellboy)

As to how HT move onto making TV and movie? well, didn't HT co-financed the movie Goemon? That to me says HT has the ambition to play on a bigger ground. Not just the best 1/6 figure maker of other people's creation. Anyways, if they do create something of their own, weather it starts as a story/comic or whatever, and it gets popular enough, I am sure it can branch out to other formats. Like you said, that's 90% of the toys today.

who knows if they could do it. maybe they could.

There is a lot of room for HT to take an existing story and make it their own through toys in the meantime.

I could probably never afford this, but Starshiptroopers, Robert A. Heinlein's original novel incorporates robotic armor and alien bugs.

If HT was able to get a license for the book, and ignore all the concepts used in the film versions, they could effectively design how it all looked themselves without having to worry about creating a brand name.

Sorry if someone mentioned this, I just skimmed the posts in this thread, but Hot Toys did the Goeman movie in Japan right? And then the figures to coincide with that, so thats pretty original.

Back