$75,000 in Collectibles Stolen

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#Chicken Little

Take one story of an extraordinarily rare instance of robbery and perpetuate it into rabid paranoia :lol.

To put it into perspective, in all my years on this forum, I've never seen any of the members complain about being robbed out of their collections. So, I think we're good. And even if it does happen to someone one of these days, it'll still be a rare occurrence, amongst the tens-of-thousands of members who actively participate by posting pictures of their shelves.

I bet potato doesn't cross streets, because of the news of pedestrian accidents :lecture

the way you quote people.... very annoying. Do you always have to be on top? or is it accidental? dominance issues perhaps?

buying selling is just an easy way to get your exact location. putting everything in show your shelves just like handling a shopping catalog to folks. if there's folks around your area (which is unlikely since there's not many collecting in Cali), and they are bad enough to steal, and they happen to see what they like in your catalogue, and somehow got your address, "They're coming for you Barbara".

but in this case most likely he made the tape and people around that area saw the tape & like what they see, and went in.

This may be a little off topic but since we are all in mode paranoia, I want to bring this up. As of late I've been getting an influx of users who just registered this month (with no posts) private messaging me and asking about stuff I want to sell on the classifys. One guy even wanted my address so he can drive about 2-3 hours away from his home just to save on shipping. Of course when I told him no he accused me of being a scammer and threatened to post our conversation all on the boards....

This may be a little off topic but since we are all in mode paranoia, I want to bring this up. As of late I've been getting an influx of users who just registered this month (with no posts) private messaging me and asking about stuff I want to sell on the classifys. One guy even wanted my address so he can drive about 2-3 hours away from his home just to save on shipping. Of course when I told him no he accused me of being a scammer and threatened to post our conversation all on the boards....

Let him post them, I think everyone will have your side on it!

There's two sides to a deal and it's all in the right as a seller that you want to protect yourself. Unless it's a huge item that needs to be picked up, shipping it is the only alternative. I don't really feel comfortable making local deals either. My roommate just sold a lot of his old motorcycle gear (along with the motorcycle itself) on Craig's list so we had a lot of strangers over recently.

He worked out every deal with a concealed gun in his pocket. He wasn't taking any chances. You can't trust people nowadays.

I called his bluff. His whole reasoning behind my being a scammer was I sent images of the item in questioned on flickr and that I didn't want him to show up at my quarters. So a took a picture of the box with a posted note on it "____, you are a moron" and uploaded it to flickr. He then apologized and I never heard from him again. This guy is still a member btw with 0 post.

I want a gun! This country sucks! :lol

All very well avoiding face to face deals but everything i send has a return address...

I am currently hiding in the undergrowth at the bottom of my garden.

It's easy if someone wants to meet for a sale, you give them the address of the closest police station and arrange a meeting time. If they are legit(sometimes they are) they will show up and all will be good, if not they will lookup the address and say never mind.

I want a gun! This country sucks! :lol

All very well avoiding face to face deals but everything i send has a return address...

I am currently hiding in the undergrowth at the bottom of my garden.

*switches on drone's heat detect* I seeeeee you!
.. wait..doesn't that mean the house is empty and your collection is unprotected?! *fuels up the white van*

I never meet anyone at my place, if I think someone is sketchy I go the police route if not pick a busy shopping parking lot.

Yeah I had to collect in a public place a couple of times.. only problem is firstly, the buyer may think the item is 'hot' and second, handing over money for a box in a busy public car park, looks dodgy as hell to anyone watching!
:lol

*switches on drone's heat detect* I seeeeee you!
.. wait..doesn't that mean the house is empty and your collection is unprotected?! *fuels up the white van*

Just take it! Take everything and leave me alone!

I'll be the next guy you see sleeping in a doorway using his own urine to keep warm...Oh for a stress free life :lol

Yeah I had to collect in a public place a couple of times.. only problem is firstly, the buyer may think the item is 'hot' and second, handing over money for a box in a busy public car park, looks dodgy as hell to anyone watching!

I did this once at a mall... the mall security patrolled by and then started asking us questions :lol

At the same time we both turned around and started yelling telling them to **** off... which got the police called

no matter where potato goes, nobody cares. it must be disheartening. im sorry little guy. thanks once again for the moot points. have a nice day sir.

I never meet anyone at my place, if I think someone is sketchy I go the police route if not pick a busy shopping parking lot.

Just ask to meet INSIDE a shopping place, Possibly near security or something. Somewhere where the person has to park and get out, and a place with cameras around

A parking lot is asking for trouble. There are many places that you can meet, even a KFC works :lol
i dont mean to be mean but reading potato's posts is annoying because it looks like a signature....:gah:

I did this once at a mall... the mall security patrolled by and then started asking us questions :lol

At the same time we both turned around and started yelling telling them to **** off... which got the police called

I don't know, I see all kinds of people at the mall with bags and merchandise. you guys could even be friends or family that are meeting at the mall,
Security wouldn't have to be asking questions, UNLESS you guys looked too suspicious :lol

Dude I get these all the time too, so annoying, and they ask me if im still selling pieces I have never even owned or listed... I usually tell em to **** off

Back