20th Anniversary of Buffy in 2017 - will you want new collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first Buffy PF is a great likeness--the best Sarah Michelle Gellar likeness we've ever gotten--and it stands proudly on my shelf. It's marred only by a lack of detail in the sculpted hair. A display base with some actual detail would have been nice too, and I hate the fact that the name "Buffy" is sculpted on the front. But for its time it was a great PF. I assume if we got 1/4 scale statues now they would cost a lot more but also be up to a higher standard as far as sculpt detailing and a more interesting base are concerned.

To tell the truth though I would prefer some other company get the Buffy license. I don't trust Sideshow on human likenesses and especially not on paint-work. Hot Toys giving us a line of 1/6 figures would be a dream come true.

Depends on who Sideshow would use

The first Buffy PF is a great likeness--the best Sarah Michelle Gellar likeness we've ever gotten--and it stands proudly on my shelf. It's marred only by a lack of detail in the sculpted hair. A display base with some actual detail would have been nice too, and I hate the fact that the name "Buffy" is sculpted on the front. But for its time it was a great PF. I assume if we got 1/4 scale statues now they would cost a lot more but also be up to a higher standard as far as sculpt detailing and a more interesting base are concerned.

To tell the truth though I would prefer some other company get the Buffy license. I don't trust Sideshow on human likenesses and especially not on paint-work. Hot Toys giving us a line of 1/6 figures would be a dream come true.

Hot Toys + Buffy?

ZOMG!!!!!!11!!!!!!! :rock

Much like with things like The X Files, I don't think it's that the property isn't popular or that it doesn't sell, I think it's more down to the simple fact that most of the stuff released as far as statues and figures go haven't been all that great.

These are iconic TV characters, so if someone comes out with figures or statues with really great likenesses that really does proper justice to the characters and the actors who portrayed them, then I absolutely believe that those would sell.

Even the hardest of hardcore fans struggle to get too excited about a piece that is merely okay, but put out something that truly captures the characters and looks properly great, with a spot on likeness, and you'll not only get the hardcore fans excited again, you'll bring in the old fans who have moved on, and a fair few casuals as well.

Personally I'd love to see QMX, or a company of similar quality and ability, do for Buffy and The X-Files what QMX have done for Trek earlier this year, in finally delivering definitive 1:6 figures with likenesses, accessories and outfits truly worthy of those classic characters. I do think the market is there for that, it's just in hibernation with certain licenses and properties until somebody delivers a product that is truly worthy of that iconography.

I got turned off by the comics fairly early and haven't followed them. I'll always treasure the show and re-watch every few years but it doesn't seem like there is much interest from Joss & the cast to keep it going in any other capacity. If there was a collectible line that went back to the beginning I would consider it.

PS - nice sig, Johnny Utah. :)

Much like with things like The X Files, I don't think it's that the property isn't popular or that it doesn't sell, I think it's more down to the simple fact that most of the stuff released as far as statues and figures go haven't been all that great.

These are iconic TV characters, so if someone comes out with figures or statues with really great likenesses that really does proper justice to the characters and the actors who portrayed them, then I absolutely believe that those would sell.

Even the hardest of hardcore fans struggle to get too excited about a piece that is merely okay, but put out something that truly captures the characters and looks properly great, with a spot on likeness, and you'll not only get the hardcore fans excited again, you'll bring in the old fans who have moved on, and a fair few casuals as well.

Personally I'd love to see QMX, or a company of similar quality and ability, do for Buffy and The X-Files what QMX have done for Trek earlier this year, in finally delivering definitive 1:6 figures with likenesses, accessories and outfits truly worthy of those classic characters. I do think the market is there for that, it's just in hibernation with certain licenses and properties until somebody delivers a product that is truly worthy of that iconography.

This. I haven't like the (imo) awful Buffy merchandise releases these past few years. From the (again just imo) the badly judged Sideshow statue line which had rather sexiest overtones (can I say Willow here) to the just plain fugly retro action figure line (seriously, did anybody buy those??) and the deformed Funko range which never appealed to me.

If some good quality stuff got made I'd be more then happy to buy it, but as the franchise is rather dead in the water right now (I'm sure some bright spark will re-boot it with a whole new cast somewhere down the line) I doubt many company's will want to take on the license.

Is Buffy over?

There doesn't seem to be the same excitement for collectibles for Buffy that we still see for Firefly and a resurgence in older properties like Trek or Back to the Future. Would you buy new Buffy 1:6 at current quality/price levels? What characters would you want to see at those price points?

I would love to see a 1/6th company like Star Ace or QMX or the like take them on. The Sideshow ones just don't cut it in today's market, but I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of them because I have nothing to replace them with, and Buffy was my first introduction to fandom, and created my interest in writing.

I would be down for the Scooby Gang: Buffy, Willow, Xander, Cordelia, Oz, Giles... as well as Faith, Angel and Spike.

I'm most nostalgic for the high school years, seasons 1-3. At today's prices ranges, I don't see myself buying later season characters. I wouldn't be interested in an Angel line, either.

At this point, only 1/6th would truly interest me.

Last edited:
It seems that a show like Firefly, which only had 13 episodes, continues to live in the hearts and minds of viewers whereas Buffy may have overstayed it's welcome and fans became more satiated and jaded. I just don't get the same enthusiasm for Buffy stuff as I see for Firefly merch right now.

It seems that a show like Firefly, which only had 13 episodes, continues to live in the hearts and minds of viewers whereas Buffy may have overstayed it's welcome and fans became more satiated and jaded. I just don't get the same enthusiasm for Buffy stuff as I see for Firefly merch right now.

Buffy definitely overstayed its welcome with me--I absolutely detested seasons six and seven. I still have fond memories of the earlier seasons of the show though, and would love to have some Hot Toys-quality figures.

1/6 Buffy at the quality level of QMX Mal would be a dream come true. Bring on season 2-3 versions of everyone.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

All I'd want from QMX now is X-Files, I'd like Star Ace to focus on their current licenses. Though they have been making some great choices, I'd like to say it again that a new interview would be great. There hasn't been hype around here for a long, long time. It's just DC/Marvel/Wars with a bit of glimmer that Blitzway are providing us. Two licenses in Fight Club and Ghostbusters have gotten more people excited about the hobby again, but they are only followed up by silence and delays.

^X-Files with Mulder & Scully would be awesome, too. Another Sideshow figure set I would like to replace with updated versions.

Buffy seasons 2-3 were the show at its peak, to me. 6-7 were my least favorite, and 4-5 were solid, but the show lost something for me when the group left high school.

I never cared enough about Firefly to collect anything from it. I liked it okay, that's it. It kinda surprises me how popular it is for such a short run show.

Speaking of Buffy and Angel, I would love for a company to tackle Greenwalt's other show - Grimm.

Last edited:
I would definitely buy Buffy, Spike, Angel, Willow, and Faith at current prices. I might go for Wesley, Cordelia, and Anya.

They should do Buffy and Angel to test the market.

I'm waiting until my daughter grows up to watch Buffy again, but it is way more meaningful to be than Firefly.

I'm the other way...I'm over Firefly, but still game for Buffy and Angel

Have to agree. I love Firefly dearly. Still my 3rd favorite show of all time. BUT, as for figures, I have no interest. Buffy figures = 100% in.

I don't really understand how the enthusiasm for Buffy merchandise has gone compared to Firefly. How can they be compared when Firefly have new figures and statues out from QMX whilst Buffy hasn't had anything new since the Sideshow maquette line years ago?

As far as we know, no one has the licence for Buffy, unless Sideshow still do, but just aren't producing anything. However if some other company announced the licence, then there would be more enthusiasm because we would know something is on the horizon.

I was never a Firefly fan, but seeing as it only lasted 13 episodes, there isn't much to complain about storywise as a fan. There's a lot of division with fans in the Buffyverse, which is common with shows of today, especially on tumblr.

Well I can guarantee that if the likenesses were good, I would definitely buy lots and lots of Buffy figures from QMX. Variant versions too. I'd be willing to buy at least three versions of Buffy herself, not to mention Willow, Vampire Willow, Faith, Tara, Drusilla, Darla, Dawn, and various monsters. But the likenesses have to be there. The Sideshow line disappointed me.

Back