$20 Cancellation Fee Sucks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what the difference between flex pay and just plain saving your own damn money is. I can put aside $X every month without having to sign up for flexpay. :dunno

Exactly Pixletwin.

If giving your money to someone to hold onto makes you feel better that's cool. I like to keep my cash available instead of earmarking it and risking fees when something comes up.

SSC isn't doing it to be nice. They realize they make money off the program.

im thinking of cancelling my boba fett ex, i have no interest and was just fooling around with the PPo , that day, trying to see if my order would go through, i contacted SS a week later and asked if i could cancel and they said , there would be cancellation fees, which is better?, pay for it get the reward points, and then flip it or pay the cancellation fees, im a confused soul lol.

This is one of the reasons there are cancellation fees. People ordering with no intention of going through with the transaction. It completely screws with their edition sizes and inventory control.

This is one of the reasons there are cancellation fees. People ordering with no intention of going through with the transaction. It completely screws with their edition sizes and inventory control.

Yeah and fans that really want it get left out with that guys thinking...

Not sure what the difference between flex pay and just plain saving your own damn money is. I can put aside $X every month without having to sign up for flexpay. :dunno

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Which is why it is nice that Sideshow offers the option for those who do like it. I also don't sign up for flexpay unless it's something I know I'm not going to cancel. If an unexpected emergency comes up, I have my savings account to cover those costs.

I'm with Jen different strokes for different folks.I don't use it often or really much at all but its nice to have as an option. If people don't like it then don't use it as you're already doing.

Flexpay is stupid, IMO for smaller priced items. Never use it. Spreading $120 over 3 payments might as well just pay it all at once. For a car or a house payments are ok. Everything else I either got the money all at once or I don't.

It's a way of making things more affordable and accessable to those whom it otherwise wouldn't be. Additionaly Flexpay allows me to order more items from sideshow than i could without it. ESPECIALY when many things ship at the same time.
3 190$ hot toys figures shipping at once? no chance

Split each figure up into 3 payments, only paying 190$ a month, for three months? THAT I can do.

Though i RARELY ever order something DIRECTLY into flexpay. I usualy place standard orders and then change to flexpay later on.
Becuase once something is on flexpay, I DON'T cancel it. So i tend to think Long and hard before i put anything on it.

It's a way of making things more affordable and accessable to those whom it otherwise wouldn't be. Additionaly Flexpay allows me to order more items from sideshow than i could without it. ESPECIALY when many things ship at the same time.
3 190$ hot toys figures shipping at once? no chance

Split each figure up into 3 payments, only paying 190$ a month, for three months? THAT I can do.

Though i RARELY ever order something DIRECTLY into flexpay. I usualy place standard orders and then change to flexpay later on.
Becuase once something is on flexpay, I DON'T cancel it. So i tend to think Long and hard before i put anything on it.

That would make sense if SSC began the payments AFTER the normal buyers get charged, but they begin charging you 2 months BEFORE. So clearly you can afford 3 $190 items, its just that SSC is managing your funds rather than you doing it yourself.

For the record I don't have a problem with SSC offering the service and charging a cancellation fee. Just for me personally, it seems dumb to use it when I can do it on my own and not box myself into a corner with my own money.

I agree with Dave for the most part. The problem is Sideshow isn't showing you the completed product most of the time until after you have paid them the deposit. If you don't like the product then you are screwed. Technically the deposit then should be void because you paid a deposit on an item that you won't be getting. A good solution would be for them to show the production models at the time of pre-order. Problem solved.

I agree with Dave for the most part. The problem is Sideshow isn't showing you the completed product most of the time until after you have paid them the deposit. If you don't like the product then you are screwed. Technically the deposit then should be void because you paid a deposit on an item that you won't be getting. A good solution would be for them to show the production models at the time of pre-order. Problem solved.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

You have the definition of float backwards. :lol Float is when the shipper sends product first before taking payment. :lecture

No. When I commit to buy an item and not pay cash, I am mentally taking possession off that item and not paying for it for 2-3 months. Hence floating my money.

I actually saved money by using flex as I cancelled my Pred LSB Ex and instead of paying 60 dollars I only pay the NRD of 35 dollars. I love the option of Flex as Jen said when it comes to ship the item then it is not as big a hit as it would be paying the lot at once. I also agree it is better for the big ticket items.

They aren't a faceless corporate monster like AT&T that leave you no options. If you think that the product has changed significantly from the solicitation, I suspect that if you present your position logically and reasonably they just might waive the deposit at that time.

They aren't a faceless corporate monster like AT&T that leave you no options. If you think that the product has changed significantly from the solicitation, I suspect that if you present your position logically and reasonably they just might waive the deposit at that time.

Hahaha! This is certainly true. They have some of the best customer service around. There is no denying that.

My $.02 worth . . .

1. I use FLEXPAY on all of my preorders with Sideshow? Why? It allows me to budget. Before I commit to FLEXPAY, I am well aware of the terms & conditions. So far, I've never had the necessity to cancel a FLEXPY item. If the necessity ever happens, then I am aware of the ramifications, because I agreed to the terms & conditions of FLEXPAY. Of course, based on the circumstances I will very likely contact Sideshow Customer Service by e-mail or phone and politely/respectfully inquire if a one-time courtesy adjustment can be made. There is no harm in politely/respectfully inquiring and the worse Sideshow Customer Service can say is NO.

2. Given my ongoing relationship with Sideshow with regards to many purchases over the past few years, I am very satisfied with their customer service. They have gone above & beyond in all my interactions with them so far. I do admit I did experience one hiccup with their customer service a couple of years back with their 1:6 TOMB RAIDER figure, but that was resolved to satisfactory conclusion. I admit I did once post they have one of the best customer service within the hobby, but not necessarily the best. I'm now of the mindset that their customer service is the best within the hobby.

3. This will irk some people, but I'm of the belief that we as consumers whether we acknowledge it or not have a something for nothing mentality. Yes. We all do. Though I can empathize with how & why a cancellation fee sucks, if you cancel knowing that there are ramifications, then you have to deal with it. Making a big deal out of IMHO is not really productive.

4. The hobby has gotten very expensive for everyone. I continue to see this in a variety of forums, but if it's getting too expensive for anyone to continually keep up and people start to complain about prices and how it is too expensive, then please . . . find yourself another hobby or spend what you can afford to collect and be happy . . . unless it's a production/quality issue with price, then by all means complain like no tomorrow which is what many do within this forum and the various sub-sections.

5. As for Dave's AT&T statement . . . a couple of years ago I got laid off and ended up exceeding my monthly usage on my cell (with AT&T Wireless). My bill came up to over $200.00. I called AT&T's customer service and spoke with a representative and politely explained my situation. I've never been late with a payment during my 10+ years with them as customer. I did not demand anything. I simply & politely inquired if they can do anything in this instance. The representative told me he'll apply a $150.00 credit to my account as a one-time courtesy. Sure enough, he did.

6. I work customer service/technical support part-time for an ISP. The job is what it is. I am more inclined . . . willing . . . to work with a customer who calls in calmly & reasonably explain their issues and inquire what can be done compared to a customer who calls in making rude demands and comes off with air of entitlement like the company owes and they want something for nothing.

7. I work full-time for one of the largest financial companies in the US and I deal with a bevy of ignorant & rude people daily . . . and that's not counting the actual customers. Again, I can and will work with anyone who simply explain what their issue and offer options and solutions. Even I get a rude customer, I will work with the customer to offer options & solutions, but don't expect something for nothing.

8. Always read the terms & conditions when it comes to FLEXPAY or anything else. If you avoid it, ignore it, indifferent about it, then it's your own fault.

Last edited:
That would make sense if SSC began the payments AFTER the normal buyers get charged, but they begin charging you 2 months BEFORE. So clearly you can afford 3 $190 items, its just that SSC is managing your funds rather than you doing it yourself.

For the record I don't have a problem with SSC offering the service and charging a cancellation fee. Just for me personally, it seems dumb to use it when I can do it on my own and not box myself into a corner with my own money.

Except in my case I Don't put things on flexpay until right before they ship, with VERY FEW exceptions.

Back