1st or 2nd Proto Michael Jackson thriller head?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one of the 2 do you prefer?

• Normal

Votes: 139 71.6%
  • Smiling

Votes: 55 28.4%

• Total voters
SMILE head all the way, or give us both HT! The other head is good, no doubt, but wayyyyy too serious for the Thriller piece. The other smile nails the nature of the character, easy going, enjoyable, and FUN. Although they should've made him open mouthed with those big pearly whites. :D Do some open mouth smile sculpts already HT!

I preferred the smiling head, so all good here.

ditto. I'm glad I do to because I'm really looking forward to this figure now.
He does smile alot in the video and I personally think the smiling sculpt has just as a good a likeness as the older one if not better. :huh
I like the idea of one sculpt being a zombie Michael and the other being a smiling Michael. Kind of from one end of the scale straight to the other.
I think the best thing they could do would be include all 3 heads but I really doubt that will happen.

He does smile alot in the video and I personally think the smiling sculpt has just as a good a likeness as the older one if not better. :huh
I like the idea of one sculpt being a zombie Michael and the other being a smiling Michael. Kind of from one end of the scale straight to the other.
I think the best thing they could do would be include all 3 heads but I really doubt that will happen.

i agree with everything u said:gun

This or nothing

32zkmec.jpg

Since it seems like Hot Toys hovers over these forums and follows all of the criticisms and complaints of the collectors here, I have a feeling they'll tweak him a bit.

I remember when the prototypes of Chris Redfield and Sheva Alomar were first show and people were freaking out about how bad they looked and they addressed pretty much every aspect that people complained about. It'll probably be the same for MJ.

I hope they don't tweak a damn thing. It's perfect as is imo.

Please, leave it be, Hot Toys!

I know how you feel because they added rubber arms to Sheva, which I really thought was unnecessary, but people were complaining about it. I think if people keep going on about MJ's smiley head, you'll suffer the same disappointment I did, unfortunately.

definitely normal. I don't hate the other head but the likeness is better on the first. I hope HT checks this thread out

I know Tay I was one of the 48 for shame! But as you stated I would rather have one that clearly is bad (zombie mike) and one that is good and pure (smiling mike) don't need a dance set up because I don't want to have to buy the whole dead line I'll just pose the 2 like this:
3732062955_d49b27e49f.jpg

Ugh... such a disappointment...
But how about what FANS want??...
I doubt MJ approved it... it was more likely one of those clueless
marketing guys...

What if we send HT links to this thread and other threads from other forums?...
Would that help in ANY way?...

I make sure they are aware of threads when I can (they know of this one), but as I'm sure we all know HT would love to make the collectors as happy as they can, and from my experience they genuinely do there best to keep both fans and licence holders happy. But there comes a point where their hands are tied (ALIEN Kane and Ed Scissorhands for example).

I've been lucky enough to know people inside quite a few collectibles manufacturers over the years, and some have told me (funnily enough this doesn't apply to HT, but I'm sure it's true of them as well) they feel like they are bashing their head against a wall when trying to keep everyone happy... better to please some of the people some of the time I guess!

I like things to be as accurate as is realistically possible, but I'd rather have an artist interpret something into 1/6th while injecting some personality and dare I say it 'artistic licence' rather than a computer scanned, perfect tiny, lifeless doll! You just have to look through the SS Vader and HT ALIEN thread to see how people have pulled them to pieces... and they're great figures... room for improvement, but both great figures that we couldn't have imagined getting at this scale with this much detail just a few years ago!

I guess it's about perspective and enjoyment... very few of the figures in my collection are 100% perfect, but they are damn close, and I ENJOY them, I don't wince every time I see a button in the wrong place or the wrong shade of purple/brown/green/black!

(next bit to be read in an Obi Wan ghostly voice over way!)

Come on, let loose, let go your feelings of negativity!

Don't think, FEEL, and you'll find a little of the spirit of what ever given character you are looking at. If you don't feel it then it's not for you. Feel free to say why you don't feel it in a constructive manner then move on!

By the way, this isn’t aimed at any one person, I know sometimes I feel let down by figures, but generally they have to be half arsed attempts to make my blood boil!

Rant over... carry on!

Last edited:
Yeah no doubt,hard to make everyone happy.To make everyone happy they might give us all 3 heads,but then again...the fans will expect more figures with 3 heads in the future.

a Thriller MJ True Type should come with the first head,and i think we will get a TT soon or else they wouldn`t have given us 2 complete sets of clothes.

I'm not gonna bother reading this thread cause all that matters is my opinion when getting a fig. And my opinion is whatever HT gives us in the end is good enough for me. (i trust them that much)

As far as which head i really don't care as long as it looks like MJ which it does.

I like the smiling one, don't get me wrong,
It's just that the other one captures MJ's essence quite a bit more IMO...
And I want a more neutral face to kit-bash it... as I'm not sure how many more MJ figures we'll see from HT.
Do you know if there will be another Wook?

If indeed the smiling head is the one we're getting, I guess I'll paint the eyes to make it look like this:

63.gif

According to Goodshipped(ebay seller) there will be 2 more MJ made and that was before Thriller was announced.

I'm fine with the smiling head, I think it looks good.

So one more, eh? I don't know if I'd get it - the fact that it's not just Michael Jackson, but a CHARACTER Michael played in an important '80s horror "film" is the appeal to me. It's almost like having Freddy Krueger or Jason, as far as I'm concerned. Wonder which it would be though... Bad was a pretty famous look.

I make sure they are aware of threads when I can (they know of this one), but as I'm sure we all know HT would love to make the collectors as happy as they can, and from my experience they genuinely do there best to keep both fans and licence holders happy. But there comes a point where their hands are tied (ALIEN Kane and Ed Scissorhands for example).

I've been lucky enough to know people inside quite a few collectibles manufacturers over the years, and some have told me (funnily enough this doesn't apply to HT, but I'm sure it's true of them as well) they feel like they are bashing their head against a wall when trying to keep everyone happy... better to please some of the people some of the time I guess!

I like things to be as accurate as is realistically possible, but I'd rather have an artist interpret something into 1/6th while injecting some personality and dare I say it 'artistic licence' rather than a computer scanned, perfect tiny, lifeless doll! You just have to look through the SS Vader and HT ALIEN thread to see how people have pulled them to pieces... and they're great figures... room for improvement, but both great figures that we couldn't have imagined getting at this scale with this much detail just a few years ago!

I guess it's about perspective and enjoyment... very few of the figures in my collection are 100% perfect, but they are damn close, and I ENJOY them, I don't wince every time I see a button in the wrong place or the wrong shade of purple/brown/green/black!

(next bit to be read in an Obi Wan ghostly voice over way!)

Come on, let loose, let go your feelings of negativity!

Don't think, FEEL, and you'll find a little of the spirit of what ever given character you are looking at. If you don't feel it then it's not for you. Feel free to say why you don't feel it in a constructive manner then move on!

By the way, this isn’t aimed at any one person, I know sometimes I feel let down by figures, but generally they have to be half arsed attempts to make my blood boil!

Rant over... carry on!

My God that was well said wook! I have always felt the exact same way ........... so much so that I am sometimes considered a Hot Toys "fanboy" I am not a fanboy ............. its not my fault HT's produces the majority of amazing 1/6 pieces.

Thank God I have never been too picky about figures ............ I think i'd lose my mind with all the energy wasted. In my current collection I can find many flaws or areas that could have been improved on but I won't go there because i'm not that anal about toys.

Yes! They are, regardless of what they cost still toys.

Still in this particular thread I believe most were complaining that HT's had an excellent sculpt and just prefered the original over the end result. But to say you will pass because of a "smiling" sculpt is just silly.

Back