15 Reasons Tim Burton’s Batman Is Better Than Chris Nolan’s The Dark Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that the Dark Knight Batsuit was too busy and not very Batman-like, but I personally think the Begins suit easily matches the Burton suit in terms of capturing the spirit of the comic version. Any criticisms there of design are purely subjective taste IMO. Begins suit looks "rubbery" but Burton's doesn't?? Regarding mobility, even as a kid I couldn't stand how awkward and immobile that Batman was. Despite the neck issue, the Begins suit didn't have that problem.

:exactly:

The Begins suit was far superior to the TDK suit.

Maybe they'll decide a "nice" MoS profit is a far cry from the ridiculously overflowing profits of the Avengers.
But to take the Marvel U analogy one step further, Avengers made a crapload, but character specific films Captain America and Thor didn't. Iron Man 1 seemed to do about as well as Superman is doing. The Bat-Films and Justice League have the potential to be the real monster hits, with Superman in a distant second place. I don't think the money this one is drawing would lead WB execs to reconsider their approach.

Oh, I don't know. There's a reason the Schumacher films weren't even mentioned. The problem with those are pretty obvious. :lol Just far too over-the-top with the campy, goofy stuff. They live alone at the bottom of the barrel.
I easily prefer the '60s film to the Schumacher ones. Frankly, it's no more silly, but at least it does what it does well.

I easily prefer the '60s film to the Schumacher ones. Frankly, it's no more silly, but at least it does what it does well.

Agreed. If you're going to do camp, just jump into the pond full bore. That's part of the charm and appeal with the Adam West BATMAN stuff.

Are Darth Zangetsu and I alone in preferring Returns to Bats 89?

I think we are. Returns to me is horribly underappreciated. Like i said I think it is perfect in tone to what a Batman film or story should be. But I remember when I was little how people were pissed about it having a happy meals tie-in. Even now there are jokes in there that I get as an adult, that I'm surprised my mother was so cool about letting me see.

Bruce: "No hard feelings then?"

Selina (reaches for his crotch) "Semi hard, I'd say.":horror:horror

Oh, I don't know. There's a reason the Schumacher films weren't even mentioned. The problem with those are pretty obvious. :lol Just far too over-the-top with the campy, goofy stuff. They live alone at the bottom of the barrel.

Still, it really comes down to the columnist's personal bias and "wish list" for a Batman movie rather than film quality. I'm surprised he didn't say, "which series had a more Keaton-ey Batman and Jack Nicholson-ey Joker? Batman 89. Tim Burton wins." :monkey1

I think we are. Returns to me is horribly underappreciated. Like i said I think it is perfect in tone to what a Batman film or story should be. But I remember when I was little how people were pissed about it having a happy meals tie-in. Even now there are jokes in there that I get as an adult, that I'm surprised my mother was so cool about letting me see.

Bruce: "No hard feelings then?"

Selina (reaches for his crotch) "Semi hard, I'd say.":horror:horror

I actually worked at McDonald's when Returns came out. I had all the collector cups. IIRC though McD's pulled the merchandising after realizing how violent and shockingly unkid friendly it was. I put Returns up there with Temple of Doom and Gremlins for being shockingly sinister and disturbing for an "event" family film.

Still, it really comes down to the columnist's personal bias and "wish list" for a Batman movie rather than film quality. I'm surprised he didn't say, "which series had a more Keaton-ey Batman and Jack Nicholson-ey Joker? Batman 89. Tim Burton wins." :monkey1

True. But that's what always makes these interesting discussions, those separate perspectives. But it's even more interesting when it's broken down into the different elements like this article does.

There's no right or wrong here. Just different opinion and sensibilities. Besides, there are also those (like me) who feel NONE of these live action movies have truly nailed the Batman formula yet.

I actually worked at McDonald's when Returns came out. I had all the collector cups. IIRC though McD's pulled the merchandising after realizing how violent and shockingly unkid friendly it was. I put Returns up there with Temple of Doom and Gremlins for being shockingly sinister and disturbing for an "event" family film.

I was 9 when this hit theatres. I loved it the first time i saw it. My mom took me to the theatre to see it 3 times. She never bat an eyelash. I guess she figured most of it was over my head, I just loved Batman.

Disagree with most of the list except for the Joker. While Ledger's Joker was certainly an original approach to the character, I think he lacked that homicidal "fun" element that the comic character and Nicholson's version had. And I think the BB suit was definitely better than the TDK suit. I can go either way with the Burton/Nolan BB suits.

And yeah, that list is not really fair..

I think Ledger's Joker was more memorable and intense. But I really do prefer the Nicholson type of Joker. If there was one thing about the '89 film that I really think they nailed (minus his being the wrong body type), it the Joker.

Honestly I put them on about equal footing. I don't really care much for either one, though I appreciate both for what they are. '89 might get the edge for me because of Nicholson's Joker. Folks here have talked a fair amount about how different those two films are, but when I watched them they felt like the same Burton "universe" to me.

Burton>Nolan.

Coincidentally recently I watched all Noland and the Burton Batman films, with a fresh perspective.

The Burton films hold up. Have their flaws and feels dated sometimes, but I still totally love em. Nicholson, Pfieffer, and DeVito FTW. Very watchable again & again.

The Noland films have all the elements that I really should dig em. I like em just OK, and try but I can't quite get why people love em so much. Joker and Bain were amazing. I think it must be Christian Bale and the girlfriends that I don't like. Agree the batvoice and suit are pretty retarded. Watchable but I decided to sell the DVDs.

JusticeLeagueAvengers.jpg

That would be an awesome batsuit. I hope they to with something similar but no Arkham cowl or gauntlets or any of that. Its cool for the video game but would look ridiculous on screen.

I'd like them to take parts from both franchises for Bruce Wayne. Dark, brooding over monitors/evidence from Keaton and the playboy he played to the public from Bale. We need a cool Batcar too. I love the Tumbler but no more of that ****. I'd also like them to amp up the detective aspect. That is what he supposed to be.

Hopefully with a more flexible suit we can get some really good fighting sequences.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Haha ... he included Robert Wuhl in "better casting" ... and Liam Neeson in worse. Good grief.

Even better ... called the Begins Batman intro a "dull cat and mouse game".

Two closer to a list of 15 reasons I question the judgment of this author.

SnakeDoc

And yeah, that list is not really fair..

Yeah if you're going to lead with "well Nolan's take of presenting the films with a more realistic setting was stupid so let's just measure how good a job each series does at being lighthearted and comic bookey" then yeah, Burton will win in almost all categories. Duh.

No, as far as Burton goes, I liked Returns more than it's predecessor.

But I like the Nolan movies more than any of the Burton movies.

Only thing about Burton I liked more was his vision of Gotham City

Edit - ...and Catwoman. ;)

Back