15 Reasons Tim Burton’s Batman Is Better Than Chris Nolan’s The Dark Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

https://whatculture.com/film/15-rea...-better-than-chris-nolans-the-dark-knight.php

Calling the usual suspects (DiFabio, intothevoid, etc.)

And.... GO!

aVZgT.gif

(This is an older article, but I've never seen it discussed here specifically. I await the fun!)

By the way, I absolutely 100% agree on #15 (THE BATSUIT):

The Batsuit is probably one of the most important things you need to get right when making a Batman movie. As well as concealing Bruce Wayne’s identity, the suit has to intimidate the criminal scum in Gotham and look really cool at the same time.

Michael Keaton’s suit in the 1989 film was designed by Bob Ringwood who based it on the Neal Adams design from the comics but instead of the established grey and blue, he made it all black. It set the mold for all future Batman movies and the design has never been topped. Everything about it is archetypal Batman, it’s sleek, not covered with distracting bits of armor, the cape is integrated into the suit and the black is broken up nicely by the yellow utility belt and emblem. Also the ears on the cowl are a good length and the cut off point where the jaw becomes visible is far enough back to give Batman a nice jawline. I know Michael Keaton had mobility problems while wearing the it and was unable to turn his head but on screen, his suit looked stunning and made an immediate impact.

Fast forward to Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy and the obsession with realism ruined what should have been one of the iconic images to come out of the movies and that is Batman. The suit in Batman Begins was never going to be a classic, it looked rubbery, the cape was odd and the neck on the cowl was too fat. But they did give it a redesign for The Dark Knight but managed the impossible by actually making it look even worse. You can forgive the camouflaged logo, the annoying armor plating and the fact that the ears are too small but the biggest problem is the mouth area.

The cowl’s design was based on a motorcycle helmet and that was a very bad mistake. Christian Bale never had the best lips to carry off the Batman look and the design of the cowl made it look like his face was squished. It also robbed Batman of a decent jawline. Once you add on his ridiculous voice, the whole look becomes a joke.

It’s becoming a trait in Hollywood now that in order to look edgy and appeal to the kids, you need to make everything look super busy. Look at the design of the Transformers in the recent Michael Bay feature films where every Transformer had to be made up of a million parts. Nolan’s Batsuit has the same problem, with all the ridges and lines all over it, it looks too busy. Batman is smooth and elegant when he moves and the suit should reflect that. Even though the suit in Tim Burton’s film had the fake muscles, it didn’t go over board and cover every area with lines and shapes so that it looks ultra modern and like body armor. Less is more and Nolan’s suit had too much going on and just didn’t look cool. It’s a remarkable achievement when even George Clooney’s suit is more ascetically pleasing.

Without even reading the link here are some of my excerpts from the HT Batmobile thread regarding Batman Returns (yes I'm a fan):

That said Batman Returns held up AMAZINGLY well. In fact watching it all the way through without such a critical eye there is just so much to like about Returns. It has the dreaded "multiple villain" thing going but to me it just helped to give the impression that Batman/Bruce has his hands full on all levels, both corporately and with regard to crime. Shrek and Selina in the office and Penguin/Circus Gang and Catwoman on the streets.

An incredible rock/paper/scissors of characters and subplots going on with each new encounter. The Batmobile sequences are some of the best in the series, including the Tumbler. I had also unfairly written off the Penguin as a loser who made Batman look lame, but he was actually kind of badass and the execution of his plot to frame Batman was undeniable.

To go from making the Ice Princess (or whatever her name was) fall to her death with Batman looking down as all the bats flood out of the tree to then immediately commandeer his fleeing Batmobile. And this was all only because Catwoman talked him out of just rigging the car to blow and killing him outright (which he obviously could have done.)

And Batman gliding down while everyone runs in terror from the swarm of bats, Nolan obviously like that scene because it was very reminiscent of Batman flying over the narrows when Scarecrow's gas was all over the place.

And I love how Batman just mans up and just takes everything that's thrown at him. No moping or freaking out over being framed, just immediately goes back to work at putting down the criminals. An odd, odd, odd movie that wears its absurdity proudly on its sleeve is now once again one of my favorite Batflicks.

Take that DiFabio! :lol

Don't forget "shut up you're going to jail"

I actually *loved* the banter in Returns (except for the "you don't really think you'll win do you/things change" exchange, that seemed a bit forced.)

The back and forth between Bruce and Shrek is electric and highly entertaining.

Catwoman's comment about every woman Batman tries to save ends up dead or deeply resentful, "maybe you should retire," damn, incredibly harsh (and again, Bruce just takes it like a man, awesome.)

And the hilarious, "who cares who the mayor is," "I care," "Yawn." :lol

There are so many characters and subplots that the film really *should* be a mess...but it isn't. I love how the story just seems to evolve out of the motivations of the characters rather than the characters seemingly just having contrived moments to serve whatever action sequence is called for at the time.

Case in point: Penguin's plan to kill Batman and then murder all the firstborn children. He could have done it! But Catwoman convinced him to tarnish Batman instead (perfectly reasonable for her to guide him that way based on her character and it was perfectly reasonable for the Penguin to be swayed) and Shrek convincing Penguin to run for mayor. Totally unexpected by the Penguin and showed how even in that crazy "world" everybody gets curveballs thrown their way depending on who they are dealing with, not just the "hero" who moves from one action sequence to the next.

Returns is my favorite Batman film, for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus I would add the moment on the dance floor when they discover each other's secret with just a line, was amazing!! And I love when Bruce is still trying to save her, because he cares even at the end. He just wants to go home :monkey2

I agree. Great moment of irony with them being the only two attendees not in costume at the party. Obviously lifted in part by Nolan for TDKR.

And I love the "prowling Batmobile" scene when he checks up on the Penguin in the Hall of Records. It shows that when a villain is at large he doesn't just sit around until someone lights the Batsignal. He's proactive and investigating even when things are "quiet."

As opposed to in Batman Forever where Two-Face is out pillaging and killing people night after night and teaching Riddler how to punch guys in the face while Bruce is just sitting on his *** at home or in the office.

Walken was superb in Returns. His lines were over the top but he delivered them perfectly. "Who would have thought Selina would have a brain to damage?" :lol And his little shrug to Penguin when the people start throwing tomatoes at him. Subtle and yet so unquestionably condemning.

And I agree, Keaton and Pfeiffer play their absurd characters in an absurd world with an authenticity that is hard to deny. That look she gives the Penguin after he tried to kill her while he is giving his speech, you just feel the narrative stakes getting more and more personal.

I agree that the Dark Knight Batsuit was too busy and not very Batman-like, but I personally think the Begins suit easily matches the Burton suit in terms of capturing the spirit of the comic version. Any criticisms there of design are purely subjective taste IMO. Begins suit looks "rubbery" but Burton's doesn't?? Regarding mobility, even as a kid I couldn't stand how awkward and immobile that Batman was. Despite the neck issue, the Begins suit didn't have that problem.

For the record, I've come around to being glad that we have these different "interpretations" of Batman (Burton and Nolan). They're both far from perfect, but I dig them on their own merits, overall.

That said, I'm always excited for a reboot because it gives me hope that a live action film will finally get the Batman formula right.

I've come to the conclusion that I will always despise the design of the TDK suit. I know this now because I have purchased all 3 versions of it that Hot Toys has done (MMS TDK, DX2, DX12)... and eventually sold the figure off each time. I just can't stand to even look at it in my collection. Ihave the 1/4 scale one on pre-order at one point, but went ahead and canceled that preemptively. :lol

Bring on the reboot suit (and please don't suck :pray: )

I actually think the Returns suit might be my favorite. The 89 suit is cool but now looking at it again it's a little too "Schumachery" to me with the sculpted abs and pecs.

The Return suit got the symbol right. So it's the easy win for me. I didn't have a huge problem with the Begins suit. As the author did.

Like Irish I want a look truer to the comics. I will keep saying the next suit needs to be an adaptaion of the Arkham City costume.

I like the design of the Arkham Asylum/City suit. He just can't be that bulky in an actual movie. It wouldn't look right.

A cross between that something more functional would be great. Kinda like this:

JusticeLeagueAvengers.jpg

Take the Arkham cowl and put it on that and you have a winner.

For the record, I've come around to being glad that we have these different "interpretations" of Batman (Burton and Nolan). They're both far from perfect, but I dig them on their own merits, overall.

That said, I'm always excited for a reboot because it gives me hope that a live action film will finally get the Batman formula right.
I agree, and think all this could also apply to the Superman franchises as I see them. Unfortunately, WB seems interested in more "realism and modernization" at the expense of trying to really capture the spirit of comics broadly defined.

I agree, and think all this could also apply to the Superman franchises as I see them. Unfortunately, WB seems interested in more "realism and modernization" at the expense of trying to really capture the spirit of comics broadly defined.

I think that's actually coming from Nolan and Goyer more than anywhere else. But hopefully further films will move even further away from that "grounded in reality" stuff.

Of course, the problem there is that this direction turns a nice profit. Little incentive to change when that's the case.

Maybe they'll decide a "nice" MoS profit is a far cry from the ridiculously overflowing profits of the Avengers.

That said when you look at the breakdown of the "list" of reasons Burton's Batman is better than Nolan's technically almost all of the same comparisons would favor the Schumacher films as well (simpler batsuits, more stylish batmobile/batwing/Gotham, the casts, lighthearted escape vs. real world blues, etc.) which utterly destroys any credibility the columnist was trying to achieve.

Oh, I don't know. There's a reason the Schumacher films weren't even mentioned. The problem with those are pretty obvious. :lol Just far too over-the-top with the campy, goofy stuff. They live alone at the bottom of the barrel.

Maybe they'll decide a "nice" MoS profit is a far cry from the ridiculously overflowing profits of the Avengers.

That said when you look at the breakdown of the "list" of reasons Burton's Batman is better than Nolan's technically almost all of the same comparisons would favor the Schumacher films as well (simpler batsuits, more stylish batmobile/batwing/Gotham, the casts, lighthearted escape vs. real world blues, etc.) which utterly destroys any credibility the columnist was trying to achieve.

I will agree that I preferred Burton's car, suit, music, and city to Nolan's version.

I think the reason why he has some credibility, is that he does point out that while Nolan's (to him) are far to serious, the Schumacher films go too far the other direction. They don't take anything seriously. Burton toes the line in 89, and may veer (at least for WB's taste) too serious in Returns(which I think in tone is the perfect Batman film.) It's dark, but not overly depressing. And I prefer the tumbler to any of the Schumacher cars. But the Burtonmobile beats them all.

While I have my preferences and find myself drawn to rewatch one series over another, I do own both Burton's and Nolan's films. I even own Batman Forever (which believe it or not, I watch more often than either Burton flick).

The things I hear about JLA all the time makes me fear for the future of Batman on film. I would love something along the lines of Arkham City with no origin told all over again and I'd be satisfied. But for now, my "perfect formula" of Batman is B:TAS and MotP.

While I have my preferences and find myself drawn to rewatch one series over another, I do own both Burton's and Nolan's films. I even own Batman Forever (which believe it or not, I watch more often than either Burton flick).

The things I hear about JLA all the time makes me fear for the future of Batman on film. I would love something along the lines of Arkham City with no origin told all over again and I'd be satisfied. But for now, my "perfect formula" of Batman is B:TAS and MotP.

Mask of the Phantasm is the greatest Batman film of all time!:lecture

Back