13" Batman Figure From D.C. Direct

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael Crawford said:
Hmmm - I suppose you don't care what anything costs, and have no worries about what you're actually getting for your money. Consider yourself lucky. I'll continue to 'harp' on price, though, since most folks do care. But thanks for the helpful suggestion!

I do care but I'm not cheap (and I don't buy crap so odds are very high that the quality of my purchases are high to begin with) -if I want it I will get it that's the difference. If I want the best of a company I expect to pay top dollar for it. I don't understand the need for this price harping when in the end the quality of is what's important. I have no problem with mentioning the price but when you put so much emphasis on the price that it overwhelms everything else you've mentioned in your review.

This is the greatest toy ever made in the history of mankind - too bad its not ten bucks cheaper.

Darklord Dave said:
Michael's reviews are first and foremost TOY reviews. Toy collectors have a different mindset than high-end collectibles collectors. Value is an important part of that and whether Medicom has EVER put out a $75 figure is irrelevant - it's being compared to other 1/6 figures.

Thats the thing Medicom's are not toys. It says so on the box. To look at them as if they are glorified Hasbro GI Joes is the wrong approach to take. That's one problem I have.

The category is Value - that means what you get for what you pay, not JUST what you pay. It has everything to do with quality, which seems to matter to you. You seem to understand that you pay more for better quality - and yet, you don't seem to understand that there's a price that's right for the quality you're getting. So they could have charged you $200, $300, $500 for the Medicom Spidey and it wouldn't have mattered to you? Of course it would, and to ignore what you're paying for what you're getting is simply ridiculous.

The black costume spidey IS good - he's not a hundred bucks good. And yes, that matters when talking about the overall score.

Michael Crawford said:
So they could have charged you $200, $300, $500 for the Medicom Spidey and it wouldn't have mattered to you? Of course it would, and to ignore what you're paying for what you're getting is simply ridiculous.

The black costume spidey IS good - he's not a hundred bucks good. And yes, that matters when talking about the overall score.

The Black Symbiote Spider-Man goes for quite a bit more than a hundred dollars -so to a lot of people it's worth is far more than 100 dollars. An easy double.

Yes I kow it's expensive but I'm looking at it as a peice of art. For example the Enterbay "Game of Death" Bruce Lee. It retails for 350 bucks but it is the ultimate Bruce Lee doll - you will not find a better Bruce Lee doll anywhere else. Yet that's what it goes for and that's the price you will have to pay for something THAT incredible.

And while yes it is an expensive item the price shouldn't be used to against the product.

Medicoms are works of art, but so are sideshow and hot toys. But the value of Medicom is not as good as others. Hot toys you get alot more accesseries etc., sometimes medicom gives you the figure and just a different set of hands or a gun, sometimes yes they put the same amount of accesseries as sideshow or hot toys does now but other times they dont. When michael reviews these things and ses what he thinks of the value its everything about that toy that makes the price, sometimes its worth it sometimes its not. Medicom is nice but in my opinion i agree with michael in saying that they are great, but with some of them just a body and a extra head and hands just isnt enough to drive the 100-150 etc. brand new costs.(just my opinion) Michael youve influenced almost every 12 inch buy ive made with companies like sideshow, and medicom, anything i dont pre order i wait for your review before i do, keep up the good work

I don't pay for the acessories, I pay for the craftsmanship... look at the clothes that medicom tailor... they always fitt.. you don't have to pour water all over it or anything like that... Hot toys IMHO comes really close... but as far as sideshow goes... let's just say I won't be buying anything from them anytime soon.

Michael, I gotta ask: just HOW MANY different Batman figures DO you have ?!!! :lol

More than a few, that's for sure! Then again, I have a few toys around here from just about every license :D

Michael Crawford said:
More than a few, that's for sure! Then again, I have a few toys around here from just about every license :D
yes michael, I must say I envy your Batman collection... now only if some company would make the burton batmans..... not the shoemaker batmans.. just burton..

Great review as usual MC.

Are you planning on getting any more of the deluxes besides Two-Face?

So far I've got all the deluxe figures and have all that have been announced on pre-order, I have to say they're getting better and better with each one released. I just hope that trend continues.

A great review... and I know I harp on this but I still don't like those cut bicep and hip joints. I think they'd look so much better if they were just moved up to the bottom of the tricep and rounded like the Marvel Legends. I think that with such tight fitting clothes hiding the joints becomes much more important. But with a figure like Two-face I wouldn't think its a big deal.

And for the value section I think it is very important. It seems some people don't get the idea of relative value. If there is a great company making 1/6 figures and release 5,000 units that sell for $50 a piece then a similar company should be able to do the same. Now when you have very limited figures (say 500 or less) that affects value and would drive it up and sometimes you'll pay more because another company can make it better. But of course the ultimate truth is that you will pay what you want to get a figure. :D

I think the Enterbay Bruce Lee is a great example of a not-so-good value. Sure it looks amazing... but 3,500 being made and a price tag of $350! Just doesn't add up... Oh I know Bruce Lee is the ****, but I have a hard time believing that charging that much is fair to the consumer. I would hope for that money you'd at least get a product that looks like the prototype... but only time will tell on that one.

You know, this one has me thinking about it. I don't have any others on pre-order, but that might change once I see old Harvey.

Oh and by the way... another rockin' Connor shot!!!

That scale really is a killer :monkey2
review_dcbats_8.jpg

:rock :rock :rock :rock

Michael Crawford said:
You know, this one has me thinking about it. I don't have any others on pre-order, but that might change once I see old Harvey.
I would highly suggest Hal if you can find him at a decent price, next to Batman he's my favorite.

rabidwolverine21 said:
Medicoms are works of art, but so are sideshow and hot toys. But the value of Medicom is not as good as others. Hot toys you get alot more accesseries etc., sometimes medicom gives you the figure and just a different set of hands or a gun, sometimes yes they put the same amount of accesseries as sideshow or hot toys does now but other times they dont. When michael reviews these things and ses what he thinks of the value its everything about that toy that makes the price, sometimes its worth it sometimes its not. Medicom is nice but in my opinion i agree with michael in saying that they are great, but with some of them just a body and a extra head and hands just isnt enough to drive the 100-150 etc. brand new costs.(just my opinion) Michael youve influenced almost every 12 inch buy ive made with companies like sideshow, and medicom, anything i dont pre order i wait for your review before i do, keep up the good work

I don't need Michael Crawford to influence me, I have far more knowledge of these toys way before Michael Crawford even has them. Nice plug for his reviews btw.

I wouldn't compare Sideshow to Medicom or Hot Toys. They are far away from being on their level. Honestly DRAGON is also way up there. If anything Dragon dolls are cheaper, better made and have more accessories than Sideshow dolls. I buy Sideshow dolls because of their licenses -no other reason. After all I don't see Medicom, Hot Toys, BBI, ALFREX or Volks making a Jason Lives! doll any time soon. Sometimes they nail it and sometimes they don't.

Although they should make a doll of Rhodes...

Bad thing about Dragon is that they don't really do any licensed products (in terms of big license products).

Rhodes got a point here, I don't need someone else's opinion to help me make up my choice.. I get what I like... but I think the point of michael's reviews are to show people if the collectible/toy is worth while. :lol

snakebeater said:
... but I think the point of michael's reviews are to show people if the collectible/toy is worth while. :lol

Quite right. Over here I don't get the opportunity to see most products in the stores, as most here don't stock them, and I have to have them shipped. I love Michaels reviews, to get an unbiased review, and make a decision whether to get an item, or if I am better off trying to score on the secondary market, for a more realistic price. The purpose of his reviews isn't wasted on me. He's reviewed most of the items I have. The pricing is just a part of the overall score and doesn't always influence me. After all, having an item shipped is going to cost me, one way or the other, and it's great to be able to look back later, when something crops up on ebay that I've forgotten about, to remind me how good or bad the item really is.

Sure the scale is out, but they do stand out in my collection, and being superheroes maybe they should. The baddies in this line haven't caught my fancy, so I wont be a completist on this line. Thanks to Michael I know some of the better aspects of this figure, like the pleather, rather than material cape, and some of it's drawbacks too. His pictures are another aid, and look much better than the initial ones that I've seen. Thanks to BD I know I'll be up for around A$120 or around US$90 if I find myself with that much spare cash. On the border with this one, mainly because of the price.

Rhodes, I don't particularly care about how something rates in that section myself, so we agree there. I think the "value" of a toy or collectible is probably too subjective to be of much use in a review - too much goes into that decision person by person.

However it's just one category among the rest in his reviews. It just happens to be one you don't care about. A McFarlane collector no doubt gives a rat's ass about how a figure rates in the articulation section, they care about the sculpt and paint apps. Doesn't mean the articulation section shouldn't be there for those who want it.

Back