12 Years a Slave

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This film was incredible! I came out of the cinema feeling rather drained as it is quite an overwhelming film to watch but that is certainly not a criticism.

This is cinema at it's very very best I believe. We have an extraordinary talented director in McQueen using cinema to tell a story that is truthful, shocking and unbelievably quite recent historically.

Chiwetel Ejiofor gives an Oscar winning performance as does Lupita Nyong'o. Everybody in the film is sensational to be honest but them two definitely stand out.

I would be astounded if this movie didn't get best picture, best actor, best actress and best director at the very least.

There were a few moments where I had to look away, again not a criticism. This is most definitely NOT Django Unchained. This feels real from the very beginning and completely unflinching in it's account of slavery.

I have never witnessed so many people cry watching a film and then leaving the cinema.

This has 2014's film of the year all wrapped up for my liking. Certainly interested to hear what others think of it.

I agree with everything you said. This is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Bit of a no brainer this won best drama picture at the Golden Globes, however, I am surprised it didn't win in any of the other categories. Don't get me wrong, Matthew McConaughey is a fine actor these days and steadily climbing my favourite actors of all time list, but he seriously cant have given a better performance in DBC than Chiwetel Ejiofor did in 12 Years a Slave????? All I know is I am extremely pumped for DBC now :)

I thought it was good not great, I think its the fact that I've seen the slave angle done before in other films with graphic imagery included. Idk I just couldn't get into it. Also, I think McConaughey did give trhe better performance in DBC after seeing both of these films back to back.

I haven't really seen any films tackling slavery, certainly not as unflinching as this. I am a pretty big fan of McQueen though, so maybe I am being a little biased. I do think this is film of the year and I do believe this is one of the greatest films to be made. It affected me deeply but that is a good thing.

I really can't see how McConaughey can top the performance of Ejiofor, but I am sure looking forward to finding out :)

Saw this last night incredible movie the acting was top notch in this .had to turn my head a few times when watching.

Watched it, I thought it was good, not sure I'd give it best picture though...or even best actor really. Seemed unnecessarily long, going from one scene of cruelty to another again and again. Ejiofor was good no doubt and I like him generally, but, I dunno, how hard could it have been to look depressed for 2 hours and to cry at the end? Was that an oscar-worthy range? Not saying I could do better but maybe that some of the other oscar nominees did. I still have a few more of the Oscar films to watch though.

Back