12 shot dead at movie theater

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadian banking has always better managed than banking in the U.S., for some reason. Anti-branching laws had a terrible effect on us during the '29 crash. Canada didn't have that problem.

The current crisis is similar. I know TD didn't take any of the hits from the housing collapse. Again, they weren't forced to make bad loans on a macro scale. They were also responsible enough to stay away from sub-prime. Add to that the fact that your currency wasn't bound to repeated bailouts totalling in the hundreds of billions (plus the ones no one was told about), which ended up monetized by the central bank and I can see how you guys made out.

Good job. Too bad the American system appears to be incapable of learning from its own evils. Even the banks that knew better, and refused assistance were told they have no choice.

worldmap.png

Yaussssssssssssss!!!! woooo!!

I've always wanted to move to Sweden and New Zealand. I"m planning on a vacation to New Zealand next year, maybe I'll decide to stay.

Limiting aid programs would be a good start. Force those abusing the system to get off their asses and get work. Many who're leeching off the system right now refuse to work because they deem some forms of employment beneath them.

especially the refuse to work portion. The limiting of welfar programs in the 90's and early 2000's worked wonder for reducing unemployment. People who don't want to work, should not be paid to sit on their asses at home.

Right there is the disconnect in your mindset. There is a reason it is called social democracy.

You react as if the social welfare system was imposed by dictatorial fiat as in Communist states. In Western Europe, North America and scattered other developed nations, social welfare systems have been implemented by democratic governments out of enlightened self-interest. And after almost a century, the only nation with entrenched, albeit minority opposition to the core of social democracy is the United States.

Your lot refuses ultimately to accept a populace and ultimately government that does not share your vision of society. The birther movement is the most absurd manifestation of that trend.

And if your views are that of some silent majority, then why do libertarian candidates barely make it into public office? Why did Ron Paul lose to Mitt in the primaries?

People do not want your vision of society because most voters, even conservative ones, realise that it has been tried and failed.

I seem to recall many of the social welfare programs were basically forced on the American people as if by a dictator. FDR's "New Deal" Obama has basically turned his Presidency into a dictatorship as he chooses to circumvent the checks and balances imposed by the Constitution.

Your philosophy is of entitlement is what is absolutely wrong with this country. To many people enjoying their hand outs and not bothering to make an investment into the country. The welfare programs you praise have eroded our society. When you have people saying its easier to mooch off the system instead of getting a minimum wage job you have serious problems. I grew up in poverty and through hard work and schooling I managed to move up to middle class. I am in danger of moving back down into poverty because of the strain these welfare programs are having on the economy. I'm a teacher. I have always made sure to be responsible with my finances. I have never made decisions to live beyond my means, when I bought a house I didn't use crazy interest only programs to try to avert the system. I have always lived within my means. But because of idiots who think its their god given right to sit on their asses and not work, who were stupid and bought houses well beyond their means, and who saw their credit cards as free money, I am in danger. You see, these precious government welfare programs you value so much are leaching money from other, more important, government programs. Education programs have never, ever, been full funded. And now they are being cut to the bone to fund other programs. My salary has dropped each of the last four years as I am being forced to take furlough days because school systems can't afford to meet their financial obligations any longer. Anyone with an ounce of common sense should be able to see that the number one thing that will help a nation and its people get out of poverty and make better lives for themselves is education. But people like you for some reason would rather see that money earmarked for education go to lazy people who sit on their asses at home. I cannot fathom your logic.

oh and Ron Paul lost because of his stance on foreign affairs, not because of his economic policy.

:clap

In a system without any social programs... i.e.... "Personal Responsibility"... People would only become more desperate. More crime, more homelessness, less money in the system, failed businesses, etc. Some of us have fought tooth and nail to get whatever we could, yet we still hang precariously close to the edge... one paycheck from falling off of a cliff into poverty.

This painting a portrait of people who use social welfare programs as "freeloaders" who are milking the system... laughing their way to the bank is insulting to the majority of us that were forced into using them... to our SHAME... because of flat out dire need.

I don't tell everyone that I am on Food Stamps or Medicaid, because you feel horrible for having to do it. I am a knot of tension all day long because I feel like I have no way to fix my scenario. I have filled out 40 applications in the past 3 months since school ended.

And I don't feel like minimum wage jobs are "beneath me"... like I am too good for them. It's just that the minimum wage is so laughable and insulting that it is impossible to live off of it, even if you work two jobs and never sleep. Especially if you have kids and live anywhere but rent regulated apartments. So why kill yourself just to pay for childcare and gas, when you could try to wait for a better job that will pay enough to take care of your family?

I know there are people who gladly abuse the system... but don't lump all people into that category and live in a fantasy world where things would be "awesome" if we just did away with the programs and let people fend for themselves.

This is the biggest bunch of BS I have read. You can keep telling yourself that if it helps you feel better about yourself, but it is blatantly untrue. I know many many people who get off their asses and get minimum wage jobs to take care of their family and not be a drain on society. Choosing not to work should not be a choice. If your physically able to go out and get a job and chose not to then you shouldn't be able to assistance.

On a side note, I think anyone who gets aid and does not have a job should have to show up and work for the government every day. Doing thinks like trash pick up on the sides of the road, raking leaves in parks, cleaning public buildings, etc. Or they have to be taking classes for job training. No one should be able to sit on their ass at home while taking government handouts.

It's part of living in society. I have paid taxes for years, and I never gave a damn that it paid for people who needed help. In fact, I was happy about it. It's a cost we pay to live in a society that has services such as roads, public workers, parks, safe streets, etc.

And when I put my degree to good use, I will pay BACK into the system. I'm not going to stay on it forever, nor will my kid..

And besides... I paid my debt to society. I served this country and bled for this place. I earned my college education, and paid for a good bit of it with my investment in the GI Bill when I was active duty. If I have to spend a few months on Food Stamps to make sure my family doesn't starve... I feel like I have earned the right to do so... with interest.

I will never cry about paying taxes. I'm a patriot doing my patriotic duty when I pay taxes. It's paying for this society we live in, and it's all necessary. Every last cent.

Let me ask you this. Did you use the money you got from student loans, or education aid all for school? I thought I read in your threads that you used some of it to buy paints and ship packages for custom jobs you took payment for but didn't complete. Didn't you buy expensive crap like a Ghost Busters proton pack and Friday the 13th mask when you were having financial difficulties? Wouldn't you characterize that as an abuse of the system?

Canadian banking has always better managed than banking in the U.S., for some reason. Anti-branching laws had a terrible effect on us during the '29 crash. Canada didn't have that problem.

The current crisis is similar. I know TD didn't take any of the hits from the housing collapse. Again, they weren't forced to make bad loans on a macro scale. They were also responsible enough to stay away from sub-prime. Add to that the fact that your currency wasn't bound to repeated bailouts totalling in the hundreds of billions (plus the ones no one was told about), which ended up monetized by the central bank and I can see how you guys made out.

Good job. Too bad the American system appears to be incapable of learning from its own evils. Even the banks that knew better, and refused assistance were told they have no choice.

The housing crisis in America was brought about by those stupid welfare programs that Star Puffs and Darkartist like so much. The government forced new regulation on banks to provide just about everyone with mortgages no mater their income or finances. They said everyone was entitled to own a house. Before those regulations were forced on banks you needed to have about 10-20% of the house's purchase price saved up for a down payment. You were also only allowed to purchase a house within your means. When my wife and I were looking to buy our first house I was absolutely stunned by how reckless these interest only mortgage programs were, and just about every real estate agent was trying to force one on us. My wife, who is a teacher and made about $40,000 at the time was qualified for a $300,000 mortgage. WTF. What is sad though is the number of people who took advantage of the program. People who thought it was a good idea to buy a $200,000 house on an income of $30,000 a year. But its not their fault, after all their entitled to have the same home as someone who makes $90,000 a year aren't they?

worldmap.png

Yaussssssssssssss!!!! woooo!!

yeah, but China is not going to have a stable economy for much longer. Do some research on their "Ghost Cities" They invested billions into their infrastructure building these monumental roads and cities and no one wants to live in them. They are sitting basically empty. Not to mention they hold most of our debt and when that defaults, what happens to them?

yeah, but China is not going to have a stable economy for much longer. Do some research on their "Ghost Cities" They invested billions into their infrastructure building these monumental roads and cities and no one wants to live in them. They are sitting basically empty. Not to mention they hold most of our debt and when that defaults, what happens to them?
For some reason these don't get more publicity. Chinas bubble will burst, and when it does it's not going to be pretty. Hell it may be bad enough that we get one of them there calamities that us rednecks are wishing to happen that some in this here thread are chortling about.:horror

and Josh, if your serious about getting a teaching job you have a couple of other options. You can teach overseas. Countries like Japan pay top dollar to have American Teachers come over there and teach English. The US also has programs kind of like the peace corp where you sign up and they place you in an inner city school district somewhere in the country (you have little say) and in return for a three year contract you get a salary and your student loans paid off. One of your best options since you were in the military is become a DOD teacher. You have no choice where you get stationed as a teacher, but you would have a salary and benefits just like if you were active duty military.

especially the refuse to work portion. The limiting of welfar programs in the 90's and early 2000's worked wonder for reducing unemployment. People who don't want to work, should not be paid to sit on their asses at home.

I seem to recall many of the social welfare programs were basically forced on the American people as if by a dictator. FDR's "New Deal" Obama has basically turned his Presidency into a dictatorship as he chooses to circumvent the checks and balances imposed by the Constitution.

Your philosophy is of entitlement is what is absolutely wrong with this country. To many people enjoying their hand outs and not bothering to make an investment into the country. The welfare programs you praise have eroded our society. When you have people saying its easier to mooch off the system instead of getting a minimum wage job you have serious problems. I grew up in poverty and through hard work and schooling I managed to move up to middle class. I am in danger of moving back down into poverty because of the strain these welfare programs are having on the economy. I'm a teacher. I have always made sure to be responsible with my finances. I have never made decisions to live beyond my means, when I bought a house I didn't use crazy interest only programs to try to avert the system. I have always lived within my means. But because of idiots who think its their god given right to sit on their asses and not work, who were stupid and bought houses well beyond their means, and who saw their credit cards as free money, I am in danger. You see, these precious government welfare programs you value so much are leaching money from other, more important, government programs. Education programs have never, ever, been full funded. And now they are being cut to the bone to fund other programs. My salary has dropped each of the last four years as I am being forced to take furlough days because school systems can't afford to meet their financial obligations any longer. Anyone with an ounce of common sense should be able to see that the number one thing that will help a nation and its people get out of poverty and make better lives for themselves is education. But people like you for some reason would rather see that money earmarked for education go to lazy people who sit on their asses at home. I cannot fathom your logic.

oh and Ron Paul lost because of his stance on foreign affairs, not because of his economic policy.

This is the biggest bunch of BS I have read. You can keep telling yourself that if it helps you feel better about yourself, but it is blatantly untrue. I know many many people who get off their asses and get minimum wage jobs to take care of their family and not be a drain on society. Choosing not to work should not be a choice. If your physically able to go out and get a job and chose not to then you shouldn't be able to assistance.

On a side note, I think anyone who gets aid and does not have a job should have to show up and work for the government every day. Doing thinks like trash pick up on the sides of the road, raking leaves in parks, cleaning public buildings, etc. Or they have to be taking classes for job training. No one should be able to sit on their ass at home while taking government handouts.

Let me ask you this. Did you use the money you got from student loans, or education aid all for school? I thought I read in your threads that you used some of it to buy paints and ship packages for custom jobs you took payment for but didn't complete. Didn't you buy expensive crap like a Ghost Busters proton pack and Friday the 13th mask when you were having financial difficulties? Wouldn't you characterize that as an abuse of the system?

The housing crisis in America was brought about by those stupid welfare programs that Star Puffs and Darkartist like so much. The government forced new regulation on banks to provide just about everyone with mortgages no mater their income or finances. They said everyone was entitled to own a house. Before those regulations were forced on banks you needed to have about 10-20% of the house's purchase price saved up for a down payment. You were also only allowed to purchase a house within your means. When my wife and I were looking to buy our first house I was absolutely stunned by how reckless these interest only mortgage programs were, and just about every real estate agent was trying to force one on us. My wife, who is a teacher and made about $40,000 at the time was qualified for a $300,000 mortgage. WTF. What is sad though is the number of people who took advantage of the program. People who thought it was a good idea to buy a $200,000 house on an income of $30,000 a year. But its not their fault, after all their entitled to have the same home as someone who makes $90,000 a year aren't they?
Damn what a post.:clap

Pathetic and wrong. I have never used any form of need-based social welfare in my entire life, unless I suppose you count being alive and using the NHS. And unlike you I would never stigmatise someone who did.

The fact you take my statement and reduce to a personal attack based on a false premise really says it all about your inability to engage in an intelligent discussion. Dismissed.

You think fronting as a sesquipedalian is fooling anybody? The fact that you took offense to that post only proves its accuracy. There's no reason why anybody with an IQ above 78 would think that people are entitled to free assistance with zero desire to earn it, and approve of their refusal to better their situation because of the "free ride" that's financed by those who pay taxes, unless you're abusing that same system.

So you have no ideas at all on how to curb these types of mass killings in the future? You are resigned to the fact that these will continue to happen and there is not one thing at all Americans can do about it? When was the 10 year ban introduced? Was there any mass killings like this during that 10 year ban?

Here's some other things you could try:

1. Invent a Minority Report type machine so you can see the future just before it happens.

2. Lockup anyone who even looks remotely crazy.

3. Develop a cure for any type of mental illness

4. Ban/Limit the sale of guns.

Which of the above is the easiest? Which of the above uses common sense? I feel for the 60% of Americans who have nothing nor want anything to do with guns, so the minority can feel a false sense of security at night snuggled up to their AK and wave a 200 year old piece of paper around when someone even questions the need for gun ownership. All of your reasoning is a joke, this is why certain groups of people in your country are the laughing stock of the world!

I hope that the continual loss of life is worth your right to own a gun. Lets hope none of the pro-gun supporters on this forum aren't caught up in one of these massacres in the future as the assault rifle you have at home won't do you one shred of good? Owning a gun didn't do any of the Movie goers caught up in this incident any good and I am sure some of them would of owned guns.

End of story!

It is a lot of fun to discuss an issue with someone who has so little knowledge, understanding, and evidence of their position on the matter that they simply can not discuss in a sensible manner. It is the weakest debate tactic on Earth to throw out ridiculous notions like you have in this post. I was hoping to discuss this in a logical and level-headed manner. I thought I might even learn something. Am I wasting my time?

Your note of 60% of Americans not wanting guns is a smokescreen and is easily more indicative of your lack of knowledge and understanding of the matter than it is a proving point for you. The strong majority support the freedom to have them whether or not they care to have them themselves. The current news in this nation is that politicians are less and less likely to fight for gun control because they see that.

Although it is just a single article in a newspaper with a (edit - 28,000) subscriber circulation in the big picture...here is an article to show you how false your assertion is that the majority of the U.S. want nothing to do with guns. It does generally reflect the attitude in the Nation outside of Washington D.C.

DSC02565.jpg

I am trying my best to conduct this discussion in a sensible and logical direction. To jump around and make ridiculous statements does your point of view no good except against the simple. Try again to address the first issue. Then we can move on to solutuions. And, you may be surprised to find that I do have a few ideas about that. devil0f76 has actually hit what I think to be the nail right on the head.

Our Constitution denies our Government the authority to restrict our gun rights.

We'll get to to the other stuff, soon, if you would simply address the information I present to you as I am polite enough to do for you.

Last edited:
The fact you take my statement and reduce to a personal attack based on a false premise really says it all about your inability to engage in an intelligent discussion. Dismissed.

But your response to this post:
Meh, easy pass. :monkey1

is to infer:
WTF? Is this one of those female figure = doll = gay panic things? I could see passing if the figure had flaws, but you say "easy pass" before it is even revealed. Makes me wonder...

:rotfl
:clap

Stay classy!

And that's what politics does every time.

I really hate reading about politics on this board. Occasionally there can be a civil and informative discussion - but usually it just becomes a bunch of people telling the other people they are idiots for not believing what they believe and it goes back and forth.

I don't come on this board to read this crap - and I'm sure a lot of other members don't either. If I want to have a political debate I would go to a site that was geared towards that.

All these people with their different political ideas on how this country should be run - I wonder how many actually do something. How many are at political rallies or working with grassroots organizations that support their ideas. Or how many just like to be armchair warriors and spout off on collectible forums. For those of you who are out there doing something about what you believe in - good on you. Whether I agree with your political views or not - I have great respect for people who are moved to action.

I really hate reading about politics on this board. Occasionally there can be a civil and informative discussion - but usually it just becomes a bunch of people telling the other people they are idiots for not believing what they believe and it goes back and forth.

I don't come on this board to read this crap - and I'm sure a lot of other members don't either. If I want to have a political debate I would go to a site that was geared towards that.

All these people with their different political ideas on how this country should be run - I wonder how many actually do something. How many are at political rallies or working with grassroots organizations that support their ideas. Or how many just like to be armchair warriors and spout off on collectible forums. For those of you who are out there doing something about what you believe in - good on you. Whether I agree with your political views or not - I have great respect for people who are moved to action.

Let me ask you this, as quickly as websites and media turned this into a political issue with running the gamut of everything up to and including those that think this is all a government conspiracy, how long exactly did you think a thread about a shooting would stay off of politics?

In a system without any social programs... i.e.... "Personal Responsibility"... People would only become more desperate. More crime, more homelessness, less money in the system, failed businesses, etc. Some of us have fought tooth and nail to get whatever we could, yet we still hang precariously close to the edge... one paycheck from falling off of a cliff into poverty.

More crime and failed businesses without social programs? :lol

Sorry, I was out golfing. What'd I miss? (besides the hole on a few putts)

Let me ask you this, as quickly as websites and media turned this into a political issue with running the gamut of everything up to and including those that think this is all a government conspiracy, how long exactly did you think a thread about a shooting would stay off of politics?

I can see some politics being involved - regarding gun issues - since this was a shooting. People are looking for a reason that this horrible act happened and there will be those who choose to believe this may be some govt. ploy.

But this thread has really gotten off track. Talk of welfare, the housing crisis, etc...really have no place in this thread.

Saw this on the news when it happened such a a senseless tragedy. hope the guy burns for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back