12 shot dead at movie theater

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.. If you notice, I only commented on things a few times. People started spouting off at the mouth about everything else. It became less about the tragedy of these people and more about the conservative agenda. It started with gun control, which at least was topical... and then it began to spiral, ending up on the talking point of the "nanny state" and "nutty liberals" and "social programs". I keep waiting for abortion and gay rights to come up.

Any time I came in to comment, my life was scrutinized and people tried to make it personal. So I commented more.

I think this thread has long ago lost it's point. And if people are passionate about this stuff, they should share the word on Facebook, go to rallies, protest.... do whatever they can. Participate.

So I agree. Is that sufficient information or do you need more. :lol

with all due respect you made it about you when you talked about your specific situation, so when I commented it was to address your personal statements. If you had kept it general I would have kept my comments general. You made it specific so I responded with specifics. It was not a deliberate attempt to denigrate you but to show how I personally think your logic is flawed.

I agree.. If you notice, I only commented on things a few times. People started spouting off at the mouth about everything else. It became less about the tragedy of these people and more about the conservative agenda. It started with gun control, which at least was topical... and then it began to spiral, ending up on the talking point of the "nanny state" and "nutty liberals" and "social programs". I keep waiting for abortion and gay rights to come up.

All of these things are separate an not interrelated as far as you're concerned?

DarkArtist81 said:
Any time I came in to comment, my life was scrutinized and people tried to make it personal. So I commented more.

I made a point of keeping all of that out of this. Still burns my ass to get lectured on how I have a responsibility to society...

DarkARtists81 said:
I think this thread has long ago lost it's point. And if people are passionate about this stuff, they should share the word on Facebook, go to rallies, protest.... do whatever they can. Participate.

Participate? I'm earning a living, thanks. When I'm not, I'm maintaining a house. When I'm not doing that, I'm enjoying the company of people here. And as I've learned in the past few days, the extremely intelligent, rational company of people I did not know were as sharp as this thread has shown them to be.

(So I disagree with Jen. But, it's to be expected. We've nearly made an artform of that.)

I WISH I did. And I can't go overseas nor can I move around... I have a house here and my family can't relocate. But it would be nice, just not feasible right now.

I am curious as to why its impossible for you to move to where the work is? A friend of mine got a job making $50,000 USD a year tax free in Japan, along with an included apartment and stipend for living expenses. He has a house in Colorado he is currently renting out because he can't sell it, but makes more then enough to pay the mortgage if it wasn't rented. The military also offer housing allowances. My assistant principal worked for the DOD teaching program and everywhere he was stationed he was given housing.

I wasn't going after you specifically csi... you've posted some truly helpful things and I respect you man. I may not agree, but I respect you.

And Devil, I never meant to lecture... I was talking about people in general, not you specifically.

And yes, those things are not related. Gun control has nothing to do with social programs or welfare. So why are we talking about them?

And you can participate and still be a productive person, with a job and responsibilities. It takes moments to share online or to sign a petition. You can be active politically without much physical involvement if you can. I have to do it this way much of the time because the Wife takes our only car to work all day.

I always find it ironic how quickly people say "this isn't the place for politics" whenever the conversation disagrees with their opinions. And I am not just referring to message boards. In a free society, when everyone's life, liberties, and well being depends on politics and their countries political system, why wouldn't you think its appropriate to discuss everywhere you possibly can?

I am curious as to why its impossible for you to move to where the work is? A friend of mine got a job making $50,000 USD a year tax free in Japan, along with an included apartment and stipend for living expenses. He has a house in Colorado he is currently renting out because he can't sell it, but makes more then enough to pay the mortgage if it wasn't rented. The military also offer housing allowances. My assistant principal worked for the DOD teaching program and everywhere he was stationed he was given housing.

I have a family, for one. We are flat broke and we literally just moved 2 months ago into a house, which we are agreeing to buy one day from my Wife's aunt and uncle.. who are graciously letting us stay rent free until I can get decent work.

Besides, my Wife has a job and she is an only child... she wouldn't let me talk her into moving up North in the US, let alone to Japan or to some random military base in our country.

I have an interview with FL Power this Friday... so maybe that will pan out. We will see.

I always find it ironic how quickly people say "this isn't the place for politics" whenever the conversation disagrees with their opinions. And I am not just referring to message boards. In a free society, when everyone's life, liberties, and well being depends on politics and their countries political system, why wouldn't you think its appropriate to discuss everywhere you possibly can?

I would even say that maybe we should have a politics thread... for those of us who can discuss these things without getting violent or calling each other names. :1-1:

I WISH I did. And I can't go overseas nor can I move around... I have a house here and my family can't relocate. But it would be nice, just not feasible right now.
Well as Sam Kinison once said in his skit about Ethiopia and their drought, move to where the water is. If you can't get a job in your field in your area then you may have to move to a different location.

The main problem is that it costs money to relocate, and a lot of jobs won't pay for your relocation. And my Wife is like a brick wall, she would just tell me to keep trying to find something here before she would let me move anywhere.

I have a family, for one. We are flat broke and we literally just moved 2 months ago into a house, which we are agreeing to buy one day from my Wife's aunt and uncle.. who are graciously letting us stay rent free until I can get decent work.

Besides, my Wife has a job and she is an only child... she wouldn't let me talk her into moving up North in the US, let alone to Japan or to some random military base in our country.

I have an interview with FL Power this Friday... so maybe that will pan out. We will see.

while I agree that those are all well and good reasons not to move, I struggle with the concept of taking government assistance because of your personal choices. I don't doubt your working hard to find a job, but at what point does being self sufficient take precedent? Should it be societies obligation to help people out because they don't want to move, or don't want to do a particular type of job? And if so, for how long? I guess my biggest question is how can anyone ask other people to give up their money to government assistance programs when there are things they aren't willing to give up themselves?

I would even say that maybe we should have a politics thread... for those of us who can discuss these things without getting violent or calling each other names. :1-1:

Absolutely not!

We need an entire political section.:)

And, as I mentioned, it can be a hidden...members only section.

Now that I think of it...couldn't someone just make a group for that?

On second thought...there would need to be too many...I am back on the hidden section wagon.

Absolutely not!

We need an entire political section.:)

And, as I mentioned, it can be a hidden...members only section.

Now that I think of it...couldn't someone just make a group for that?

On second thought...ther would need to be too many...I am back on the hidden section wagon.

They could. The question is do they want to.

I think that's a Sam Jackson line from Sphere. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back