12" lotr line on hold

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brant mentioned there being at least 2 more figures in the INDY line in the same chat today. Conventional Wisdom... and some informed speculation assumes one of those is Toht, which could breathe some new life into the line (if SSC doesn't snuff it out again with this sluggish pace).

If they brought Toht out I would pick up Indy again. :)

:rock

Toht!

Re: Fool of a Took

...But I really, really don't think that the SSC LotR are bad in any way and need all this work - all of the sculpts are great...

We've seen that LotR collectors are probably older, didn't grow up with licensed toys like Star Wars fans, and gravitated to the static statues. They just didn't respond to the posable action figures.

This sounds like it might have hit the nail on the head. I really only come to the LoTR thread to check on PFs pics. I am not a collector of 1/6th, so I don't know much about the delays and such that people have mentioned, but I thought the 1/6th looked great from Sideshow's stock photos.

I am assuming that as the interest from the movies fade, overall worldwide interest in the less expensive 1/6th will fade. As DD said, this would leave only the older fans behind who may prefer the more expensive PFs. I would also assume that Sideshow knows very well what lines have the most interest and is most profitable and they will judge what lines to push in terms of that. I know alot of people have complained about the rising cost of the 1/6th scale figures across the board, so Sideshow has to judge that as well.

on "hold" huh? *sigh* i remember when they said buffy/angel was on "hold". well time to find a new line to collect to fill the void. looks like it will be GI Joe until that line also goes on "hold". it's starting to suck to be a 1/6 collector. sure the figures seem to be getting better and better but the selection is gettting less and less. lines like LOTR and SW have a very large number of charactors so you can keep them going for years. unlike Dark Knight, pirates etc which only have a couple of characters and then it is done. so it's a real shame to lose a line like LOTR.

buy those hobbits, people. they are awesome. SS is practically trying to give them away. get some gift cards. anything. you wont regret it. the heads look great and there is a plethora of fine accessories. almost a bevy. not quite an exorbitance but definately an array of very fine accesssories.

It did and still does have so much potential. The LOTR world is just as big as the SW universe in my opinion.

True but SW figures are way more simplistic in their overall designs. The jedi and sith for the most part are just headsculpts and robes. The aliens are headsculpts and hands....they all use normal base bodies with no problem. The armored figs are just starting to be figured out, but still, pretty simple compared to leather belts and buckles and scabbards, etc on the LOTR figs.

I think if Sideshow priced the LOTR figures at a price that was actually profitable for them on all accounts, they really would not leave the shelves at all.

That's probably very ture, Nash.

SS is losing a chunk of change on the Hobbits -- their profit margin now dwindling just to get them out of the warehouse.

It's understandable why SS got out of the 1/6 LOTR business...but it's still sad, because we got so close. In fact, for me, one figure away: Gimli.

Even though im done with 1/6th, this was definitely my fave line from SS. hopefully they get things worked out, or maybe pair up with HT one these too.

yeah the detail on these guys is outstanding. still remember when i got aragorn. couldnt believe the materials and the number of accessories. lots of real leather/suede material. not that plether stuff(well except for his duster). plus weathering on the duster. cant believe we got all that on a $70 figure at the time.

"On Hold" = End of the Line (SS Lingo)

The writing was already on the wall for a long long time. And with GTG Exclusive Edition coming back on 2nd Chance, it seems that SS has made the "correct" business decision to "terminate" this line. Imagine, they can't even sell out with a ES of just 1250 and they are selling this worldwide.

Oh well. I bought a DiD Gimli this morning, and already had a Gandalf The White from the DiD line.... so I'm really only missing Merri and Pip.... I would think these two will happen once the current stock goes, and the initial amounts of Sam & Frodo sold will set the edition size of them.

Well for me, that's it! Enough is enough!
Over the last several years I have spent literally thousands of dollars on Sideshow stuff. I have several premium format figures and in 12":
All the Bond figures,
Live by the sword,
Fife and Drum,
X Files,
Terminator
All the R Lee Ermeys
90% of the Star Wars line. (No EU)
The entire Buffy and Angel line (which was almost acceptably complete)(a line i purchased three times over, having bought for my son and daughter too)
However, the LOTR "on hold statement" has enraged me. To abandon the line with just three figures left, to complete the Fellowship is nothing less than a betrayal of the collector/fan. Of course I understand the commercial arguments, but collecting is not a totally rational hobby. The statement itself enrages me, like others have said, "on hold" is Sideshowspeak" for cancelled. I wish they would just be honest and say it's cancelled.
Well that's it. I have cancelled all my future orders, except Iron Man and it's goodbye from me!:mad::mad::mad::banghead

Last edited:
I am sad. :monkey2

Sideshow, why the hypocrisy? As recently as SDCC, I remembered reading that people within Sideshow have repeatedly "confirmed" that this line is still alive and that we collectors will soon enough hear words of a new 1/6 LOTR figure.

And now, after GTG has shipped, the line is 'on hold' all of a sudden? If you have decided to cancel the line, just say so. Even if you have not decided but there is a chance for the line to be canceled, say so too. :banghead

IMHO, SS is slowly steering away from 12-inch figures into Statues and Dioramas. Despite the lower ES of Statues and Dioramas, the profit margin is probably higher for these items.

I'm soo sad !!

LOR 12" was the only original Sideshow line I was buying (except from Hot Toys stuff they offer) - hopefully they'll give the license to Hot Toys - that would be a great ending to this sad story ....

Back