12" lotr line on hold

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didnt some high up muckity muck at SS say they were committed to at least completing the fellowship awhile back?
Thought I saw that posted.

...and if they think Im going to start forking over more dough for PFs in this economy they gotta another thing coming.

Didnt some high up muckity muck at SS say they were committed to at least completing the fellowship awhile back?

If they did it means nothing, Sideshow had stated that they were "committed" to finishing the Jason line and left it 2 figures short.

...and if they think Im going to start forking over more dough for PFs in this economy they gotta another thing coming.

Not only do I prefer the 1:6 scale stuff, but my wallet does too. I don't know that I'll keep anything with Sideshow anymore.

I think the content of this line is what has it stalled....IMO "on hold" means dead until they can figure out a way to produce certain characters.

Ive said this from the beginning, they wont be able to do orcs or Lurtz just because they dont have the body for the figure. Those would look ridiculous on a regular buck body, especially when they don't wear much clothing. Those are just 2 examples...when thinking about the monsters in LOTR, there are so many more challenges to make them into a good figure. I think even Hot Toys would struggle a bit with this line just due to the complexity of creating each monster. They wont be able to use base bodies for the most part except for on human characters.

Haven't read the thread - and maybe it's been pointed out - "on hold" is what the 12" Buffy and James Bond lines also are (exact phrasing). Also "on hold":
Planet of the Apes, X-Files, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Spinal Tap, etc.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out a way to make this line more popular, but there just don't seem to be enough 12" collectors that are into LotR.

How do we get the Star Wars fans to buy LotR figures?

I think Sovereign Studious came up with a great weigh to achieve a Lurtz without a specialty base body. Using paint cloth of a standard base body turned out quite well, hid the joints, but maintained the articulation. And surely, there are a few baddies that can be done without needing a special base body.

That's it for me. Yeah, PF's can look better because of scale and all, but you're also stuck with either liking or disliking the design of the piece. With 1/6 figures, you can make the "statue" however you want it, and when you get tired of it, change it to something else. You get tired of a PF, not much you can do but get rid of it.

I disagree and I think that saying that a 1/6 figure can be compared to a "statue" is craziness. no matter how good you pose them or whatever, they will still "look" like a figure more-so than the actual representation.

I view figures as toys and statues as art. You dont put a painting on the wall and decide you want to add more paint to it. That doesn't make a painting "boring".

I think Sovereign Studious came up with a great weigh to achieve a Lurtz without a specialty base body. Using paint cloth of a standard base body turned out quite well, hid the joints, but maintained the articulation. And surely, there are a few baddies that can be done without needing a special base body.

baddies such as? Besides human ones...the only one i can think of is ringwraiths.

The base body is just one example imo. There's also the armor and tiny gear and tailoring of the clothing that is all very intricate compared to other lines.

baddies such as? Besides human ones...the only one i can think of is ringwraiths.

The base body is just one example imo. There's also the armor and tiny gear and tailoring of the clothing that is all very intricate compared to other lines.

Agreed that they're more intricate, but still doable with existing base bodies.

Saruman, Wormtongue, Wringwraith, Witchking, Mouth of Sauron, all doable within reason and would have brought something to the plate, enough evil in the collection to keep things interesting at least, even if there was a lack of Orcs and such.

Saruman, Wormtongue, Wringwraith, Witchking, Mouth of Sauron, all doable within reason and would have brought something to the plate, enough evil in the collection to keep things interesting at least, even if there was a lack of Orcs and such.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Agreed that they're more intricate, but still doable with existing base bodies.

I think Sauruman, ringwraith, and witchking would be only ones worth doing of those choices.

I just see the LOTR line as a very tough line that is probably not very profitable for SSC to continue due to the complexity of producing them.

HT has developed a new body for Arnold and Sonny, so that one could be used for Uruk Hais. And SST/HT are already working on armour for the SW figures.
But I do believe the cost of R&D and production on these figures is what has killed the line. They're just to expensive to make... I doubt they make much profit on the LOTR 12" line. It's probably one of those "labour of love" lines that gets mostly paid for by other lines, and with the economy as it is, it's no wonder they don't want a line that (probably) can't pay for itself.

HT has developed a new body for Arnold and Sonny, so that one could be used for Uruk Hais. And SST/HT are already working on armour for the SW figures.
But I do believe the cost of R&D and production on these figures is what has killed the line. They're just to expensive to make... I doubt they make much profit on the LOTR 12" line. It's probably one of those "labour of love" lines that gets mostly paid for by other lines, and with the economy as it is, it's no wonder they don't want a line that (probably) can't pay for itself.

Well with all the spare money they are making from all those weak ass Dead color variants, they could spend a little extra to make a few more LotR figures :mad:

Back