12" lotr line on hold

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No villains definitely hurt the line... but it was the snail's pace that killed it.

The real money was in the first year -- if SS could have produced six figures that year instead of three -- with a Ringwraith or Saruman to add some evil -- perhaps more people would have gotten committed...and stuck with it for two years to get to the Hobbits.

Ditto. They should have started strong and put out as much as possible. Something like the PT Jedi for SW... like a few Orcs or Ringwraiths, something along those lines. Just get people hooked and THEN put the R&D into the Hobbit bodies.

They were trying to do the fans justice and give them this new Hobbit body that would get them excited. Which it did, but then people were upset about the price of each figure and that caused issues. I still think a 2 pack would have sold well, and they could have done an SDCC Mount Doom version and made their money easily selling them... With even LESS clothing too! It's a win win!!

With the economy the way it is, there's probably such little profit in these complicated figures -- with the kind of detailing and extras that has come to be expected -- that it's just not worth pursuing.

Didn't Dave say that Gandalf is their least profitable figure?

Seems like a Ringwraith would have been profitable -- very little in the way of complex clothing. And a series of Orcs could have reused a lot of parts. That might have helped both the hype and the bottom line.

Now Dave posted those forgotten DiD Orc pics and I'm dying for some evil!

I wish we could commission from a "division" of Sideshow like we do some of the artists here...

Dave, maybe that's a division you should run for them? :)

With the economy the way it is, there's probably such little profit in these complicated figures -- with the kind of detailing and extras that has come to be expected -- that it's just not worth pursuing.

Seems like a Ringwraith would have been profitable -- very little in the way of complex clothing. And a series of Orcs could have reused a lot of parts. That might have helped both the hype and the bottom line.

I wish we could commission from a "division" of Sideshow like we do some of the artists here...

what a great idea

I didn't say least profitable - I said they had more invested in R&D on Gandalf than with most other figures. Mostly that's time, trying to source the materials, doing the research, etc. And that's the reason they couldn't come out as fast as Jedi either - each figure presents new problems - it's not just a new portrait, some basic robes and we're done like the SW figures.

I may be privvy to some information, but I don't know all the intricacies of their business model. I'm sure if they could continue to make the figures they would. The SSC guys loved Planet of the Apes, but the line wasn't viable (no matter how much you may say that line was mismanaged, the fact remained that even the most popular characters didn't sell well). They can't continue throwing good money after bad on a non-viable line.

And really aside from the buck body I can't find a single cut corner when it came to Gandalf. The outfit looks as good, if not better than the prototype and hangs and poses very well for 1/6. Not to metion that the paintwork on the head and hands was a quantum leap over the prototype.

I wish the line could have worked out... really quite a bummer that for all intents and purposes dead.

I still see life in the line. It may lie in a coma till The Hobbit comes out though. If Sideshow can just ride the wave of hype and not wait till a few years have passed by and the interest as ebbed away, I think they could really reopen the line with a BANG.

Hot Toys did it with the AvP Predators (reused a lot of parts), and while a lot of people pissed and moaned about it at the time, they all sold out and now fetch ridiculously high aftermarket prices.

Not taking advantage of LotR's evil characters early on was kind of a critical oversight. I don't know, maybe if they'd approached Hot Toys earlier and asked for help, they'd have worked out some of the design issues and been able to make some Orcs, etc., along with the human characters to help balance things out and keep people wanting more. That's pretty much what I was expecting from the beginning... I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

The Black Riders could've been on a Buck "big boy" body and it probably wouldn't have been such an issue with buck-haters, since they'd have been mostly hidden under robes anyway. And it probably wouldn't have taken as much development time as some of the more complex figures did. It also could've kept the costs down, making it more attractive to buy multiples. I think they definitely missed the boat there. What a shame.

I was holding on to one of the DML "horses" in 1/6th scale in the hopes of getting a Ringwraith from SS and creating my own custom "Ringwraith on Steed". Ironically, I had given away my ToyBiz Ringwraith when the line was announced by SS, so now I'll have to go and reacquire one.

it really is a shame if the line is over. having every figure next to each other on the shelf right now is something to behold. they are definate works of art.

it really is a shame if the line is over. having every figure next to each other on the shelf right now is something to behold. they are definate works of art.

I think they're the best, most detailed 1:6 figures Sideshow has made to date.

I didn't say least profitable - I said they had more invested in R&D on Gandalf than with most other figures. Mostly that's time, trying to source the materials, doing the research, etc. And that's the reason they couldn't come out as fast as Jedi either - each figure presents new problems - it's not just a new portrait, some basic robes and we're done like the SW figures.

I may be privvy to some information, but I don't know all the intricacies of their business model. I'm sure if they could continue to make the figures they would. The SSC guys loved Planet of the Apes, but the line wasn't viable (no matter how much you may say that line was mismanaged, the fact remained that even the most popular characters didn't sell well). They can't continue throwing good money after bad on a non-viable line.

I really wish they would find some way to make a Gimli figure at least. But if arguably the most memorable character Tolkien created and a figure as beautiful Gandalf turned out to be doesn't sell out, I doubt Gimli would do any better. :monkey2

I think a Hobbit movie will be our best bet to have the Fellowship revisited by Sideshow and completed.

I think they're the best, most detailed 1:6 figures Sideshow has made to date.

I really wish they would find some way to make a Gimli figure at least. But if arguably the most memorable character Tolkien created and a figure as beautiful Gandalf turned out to be doesn't sell out, I doubt Gimli would do any better. :monkey2

I think a Hobbit movie will be our best bet to have the Fellowship revisited by Sideshow and completed.

And you know the Lord of the Rings dvds will be re-issued when the Hobbit comes out, so they'll be renewed interest.

Honestly, best way to keep interest in this line is through Con Exclusives. Mt Doom Sam and Frodo, Helms Deep Aragorn. Stuff like that, which Im surprised we didn't see sooner.

I would buy anything they make...so they are missing out on my money. I don't own any of the premium format figures, and I never will.

If they made Orcs, I would muy duplicates of them and build an army. Obviously, Gimli needs to be made. I will actually be angry with SS if they let the line die and don't make me my Gimli!

Seriously, how can we not have a Gimli? :banghead

Thats why most of us are buying up DiD and ToyBiz Gimli's and making our own.

There certainly is a serious run on Gimlis the last couple of days. I think I've seen 7 DiD Gimlis go in two days. Who'd have thought?

At least of the line, he seems to be the one that's the easiest to customize given the solid parts out there.

Thats why most of us are buying up DiD and ToyBiz Gimli's and making our own.

Yeah I have been shopping them for a few weeks, but you guys keep running up the price. :rolleyes:

I will probably get a ToyBiz eventually and then decide if I need to customize it or go with the DiD. Now if anyone has any hot leads (meaning cheap) for those items, let me know. :D

Back