12" Inch Figure Dewback A New Hope

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people (myself included) might prefer the entire thing to be a statue, including the Sandtrooper, rather than having it be a half-action figure/half statue hybrid. But I don't think there are many people who would willingly pay $100 more to just have the dewback part be a "statue." What are the benefits of that?

I'd have loved to see them offer a vinyl version as well for $100 cheaper. I would have considered that. Polystone for the statue buffs and plastic for the cheapos like me. :D

:exactly::lecture

This way, everyone is happy; the statue guys and the figure collectors, and shipping won't set us back so roughly. :slap

I cant believe the complaining with this piece. I mean what do you want on it a button that when you push it the Dewback growls at you. I think it looks awesome and any articulation would have detracted from the overall sculpt. I have an repainted version of the Hasbro Dewback from Les that I may sell since this is coming and I thought I would have all kinds of problems selling it but I guess maybe not.

I cant believe the complaining with this piece. I mean what do you want on it a button that when you push it the Dewback growls at you. I think it looks awesome and any articulation would have detracted from the overall sculpt. I have an repainted version of the Hasbro Dewback from Les that I may sell since this is coming and I thought I would have all kinds of problems selling it but I guess maybe not.

I found the objections quite clear. At $300 (plus shipping) and it being a giant hunk of polystone, it's just not that attractive to many.

Aside from that it looks great. But, again, the objections aren't without basis.

Sean

Shipping from BBTS is about $200 to Australia for the Dewback and the Sandtrooper. Would the shipping be more expensive with SS??

jason2885:

What's not to get?

It's a statue for an action figure line. :huh

That's why it feels half-assed to some.

The polystone also makes it less attractive to the international fans due to the weight of the polystone. The shipping becomes very cost prohibitive for them. As a vinyl articulated "figure", it's becomes more financially attainable.

No one is saying the thing doesn't look stellar, just the materials choice is a weird one for something that should inherently have some type of articulation. If SWs was primarily a statue line, then u would expect it. This cross over product is just kinda strange. So should we expect 1/6th scale droids & Wookies just because polystone is easier to produce & cheaper just cause they may look awesome?!?!

To me, since this is an action figure line, all items that aren't inanimate objects sbould have some articulation at least.

Shipping from BBTS is about $200 to Australia for the Dewback and the Sandtrooper. Would the shipping be more expensive with SS??

May want to get some quotes from a euro dealer. Something tells me the size of that Dewback may push our shipping restrictions in the states

Again, unless someone is really in the market for a dewback-only statue, I don't think the statue guys are going to be happy with this release.

For statue guys this statue would be cool if Gentle Giant would release a 1:6 Sandtrooper. Or it may go with the Kotobukiya trio somehow.

I would suggest the "mixed" combo would not be the first choice for most collectors (statues or figures).

Having said that, maybe SS is smart doing it this way - they are attracting collectors from both camps...

For anyone who has trouble understanding the dissatisfaction with this figure, look at it this way.

What if...like Jabba, the Gamorrean Guard, and the Dewback...Chewbacca came out as an unarticulated or partially articulated figure.

Now, we all know that is not likely. I use it as a reference point to help some to understand the general feeling.

Not everyone will see the Dewback as an imortant-enough addition to the line to feel the same way. But some of us do and that is perfectly acceptable just as some being perfectly happy with it is perfectly acceptable.

I think that due to the design of the Dewback there is no way to make it look aesthetically pleasing and have articulation. Maybe if they had some kind of internal skeleton and a rubber body... but traditional POA just don't work on this guy.

Sideshow has chosen a fairly dynamic (for a Dewback that is) pose and either you'd have a super articulated and ugly (think of the MOTUC Battlecat) looking figure to achieve the same look, or you'd have a very basic pose (like the Hasbro 1/6) and still end up with joints that do nothing.

Jabba has moveable arms and that is only because his folds make for a hidden POA. Same with the Gamorrean... he's more articulated, but its all pretty much covered up by clothing or armor pieces.

As I said before, I've decided that the lack of articulation isn't a big deal to me. And it's probably more the "principle" of the thing that is upsetting to some people more than the actual lack of articulation. There's not a huge amount you could actually articulate on something like this, especially if you don't want it to look bad. I get that.

But making it polystone statue rather than a vinyl figure like Jabba or Bubo is an upsetting trend, IMHO.

i just hope the paint apps on the sandie are up to the paint on the dewback........like SS's.................:yess:

I think that due to the design of the Dewback there is no way to make it look aesthetically pleasing and have articulation. Maybe if they had some kind of internal skeleton and a rubber body... but traditional POA just don't work on this guy.

Sideshow has chosen a fairly dynamic (for a Dewback that is) pose and either you'd have a super articulated and ugly (think of the MOTUC Battlecat) looking figure to achieve the same look, or you'd have a very basic pose (like the Hasbro 1/6) and still end up with joints that do nothing.

Jabba has moveable arms and that is only because his folds make for a hidden POA. Same with the Gamorrean... he's more articulated, but its all pretty much covered up by clothing or armor pieces.

My opinion is that for an action figure...articulation trumps perfect aesthetics every time. Aesthetics are the priority in a statue format. Action figures are made to articulate. To me, that is what makes them action figures. Nobody complains about a 3 3/4" action figure's aethetics being sacrificed for articulation. And, to me, these are larger and more expensive action figures, but action figures just the same.

Now, as I have stated and continue to state...if Sideshow wants to create a statue to stand in for the action figure Dewback...that is their priveledge and they have done nothing wrong in doing so. I have no anger toward it, myself, but I do chose not to collect it as I have no interest in a static Dewback.

Im personally not a stickler for articulation seams...if u want articulation, it's a trade off you have to accept. Came to terms with that through years of collecting "action figures". As a matter of fact, I think that's the next big thing to happen in boys toys and probably the only thing that will come close to knocking Hot Toys off their perch...a fully articulated figure with no joints! While the technology may not be there yet (but Mattel is attempting it!) articulation points are just par for the course.

As for the Dewback, at the very least he should have included a neck joint and a hinged jaw. There are plenty examples of that type of joint being done well enough to mask it.

The 100% statue in an action figure line for something that isn't a chair/throne, wall ornament or platform diorama sets bad precedent and I hope this isn't just the first of more to come.

All that being said, my brother and I still ordered it cause we support the line...and it does look pretty kick ass!

My opinion is that for an action figure...articulation trumps perfect aesthetics every time. Aesthetics are the priority in a statue format. Action figures are made to articulate. To me, that is what makes them action figures. Nobody complains about a 3 3/4" action figure's aethetics being sacrificed for articulation. And, to me, these are larger and more expensive action figures, but action figures just the same.

I promise I'm not trying to argue... just discussing :duff

I get your point and agree with you to a point... but generally in 1/6 errs towards hidden, or at least aesthetically pleasing articulation. Clothing hide most of the POA on a traditional figure. So while the roots are in action figure, they are a different animal. Just look at the Sandies, if posed well they look like statues. I think the majority of 1/6 collectors (including myself) would have passed if the Dewback had articulation like this:

MOTUCBatCatCringer.jpg

Even the 3 3/4" Dewback is barely poseable... and what is there only looks right in a single position. I can understand wanting to be able to pose these guys, but at the end of the day most people will end up with the same pose and you might have well just made a statue :lol

^^^ I for one would have considered passed on the Dewback if he looked like that with all those joint seams. If it did, I might as well just stick with my Hasbro 3 3/4" Dewback.

jason2885:

What's not to get?

It's a statue for an action figure line. :huh

That's why it feels half-assed to some.

The polystone also makes it less attractive to the international fans due to the weight of the polystone. The shipping becomes very cost prohibitive for them. As a vinyl articulated "figure", it's becomes more financially attainable.

No one is saying the thing doesn't look stellar, just the materials choice is a weird one for something that should inherently have some type of articulation. If SWs was primarily a statue line, then u would expect it. This cross over product is just kinda strange. So should we expect 1/6th scale droids & Wookies just because polystone is easier to produce & cheaper just cause they may look awesome?!?!

To me, since this is an action figure line, all items that aren't inanimate objects sbould have some articulation at least.

:clap:clap:clapYou spoke my heart.:lol

Back