12" Inch Figure Dewback A New Hope

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I've gotten a number of those extra emails as well... don't think it means much.

I will eventually get the Dewback and at least one Bith band member; but no hurry to jump to pre-order either of them especially since there is no exclusive.

I too am puzzled at the reason that this the new Sandie costs so much. There isn't much of a difference aside from a bunch of weapons. It's not like they had to sculpt anything new.

As far as the Sandtrooper: why would SS think people would pay $40 more for this one than the retailer exclusive version.....without anything new to offer?

The black pauldron one can still be found for $91 plus shipping

What are you guys talking about!!!! :horror:horror:horror:horror

Are you crazy :cuckoo:

We got a whole brand new prod rod!!!!!!!

Its not a ridiculous increase in price considering all that comes with him... but given that there is nothing new I'd think $125 would have felt a bit more appropriate.

However, i'm good with the 2 I have... so just the Dewback for me :rock

Bring on the 1:6 Tusken Raiders and Bantha!

If we go by the size of the Gentle Giant Bantha statue, a Bantha would not be THAT much bigger than the Dewback, and it could give Sideshow some practice on using fur that's a little easier than Chewie....

who knows at SDCC....Chewie would be the announcement that would top the Dewback!!Him and the droids,fett etc.

I too am puzzled at the reason that this the new Sandie costs so much. There isn't much of a difference aside from a bunch of weapons. It's not like they had to sculpt anything new.

Exactly. Are we on the brink of yet another price hike?

I usually buy directly from SSC, but, this one, I see if I can find it cheaper with an EU reseller. If not... well, I don't really need a 4th Sandtrooper... . Bet the money is better spend on one of the (OT) characters still to come.

As for the Dewback. It's a nice statue, no doubt about it. But I'm still having trouble with exactly that. It's nice that the quality of 12" figures has drastically improved over the last years, but... to me they are still toys, albeit very expensive ones... . I just can't think of this Dewback as a toy. It's a statue. Like it was mentioned before, one thing I particularly like about 12" figures, is the fact that they can be posed. I can understand that it's difficult to achieve that on a lizard-like creature, so, the lack of movement is not the real deal breaker for me. The price is though. Is Poly-resin/stone really that expensive? Perhaps they should have used a different material then. Just like they should have for Jabba's throne, Han in carbonite and all the other SW accessories which could have easily been made in plastic.
Wonder when we will read fist reports of Dewbacks that have become prey to gravity.

Last edited:
Ordered both the dewback and sandie:yess:

wasnt going to get the 4th sandie...but someone's gotta look after Dewie...:dunno

"Insert Dewie"
5671797304_d219ded1a0.jpg

I guess my only hang-up is it being made of polystone, which can break or chip easily if not careful. Hopefully, I won't have to make a return due to a chip or broken piece as result of manufacturing quality control. Although, my understanding is polystone is the best material to capture minute details of the original sculpture, which is a good thing in my book.

I have yet to order either one......the sandie would have been a no brainer for me, except the price was very unexpected. I am assuming they are justifying the increase due to materials costs going up, but I aint buying it

Believe it or not but that poly-stone crap is incredibly strong. I had to destroy a Thrawn throne in order to get a new one due to the original having a very bad paint job. I took the thing in the basement to smash it and it literally just skipped across the concrete floor with just minimal damage...and I threw it on the floor!

It actually some type of epoxy or something. Similar to car bondo. It can be broken easily but it does take some effort.

...still doesn't justify the cost though.

As far as the sandy goes, I would have preferred they give us a reg priced one and offered the extra accessories in an accessory pack.

I broke down and ordered both the Sandtrooper and Dewback from Alter Ego....the paint apps on the final piece better look as nice as what Sideshow is picturing...!

Exactly. Are we on the brink of yet another price hike?
As for the Dewback. It's a nice statue, no doubt about it. But I'm still having trouble with exactly that. It's nice that the quality of 12" figures has drastically improved over the last years, but... to me they are still toys, albeit very expensive ones... . I just can't think of this Dewback as a toy. It's a statue. Like it was mentioned before, one thing I particularly like about 12" figures, is the fact that they can be posed. I can understand that it's difficult to achieve that on a lizard-like creature, so, the lack of movement is not the real deal breaker for me.

Lee and I are completist on these, but your point is well taken. They ARE toys, and this simply is not. I wish they would have done a bit more with all the polyresin additions so far. Jabba could have used some electronics and articulation and so could the throwns and carbonite set. At least that would give a "toy like" feature to them versus a museum statue aesthetic. We got both, but really wish the dewbacks mouth moved or something!!!
Edit: Gotta give em credit for the Yoda hut, they kicked ass on that one. Well worthy of a "toy" collection.

Believe it or not but that poly-stone crap is incredibly strong. I had to destroy a Thrawn throne in order to get a new one due to the original having a very bad paint job. I took the thing in the basement to smash it and it literally just skipped across the concrete floor with just minimal damage...and I threw it on the floor!

It actually some type of epoxy or something. Similar to car bondo. It can be broken easily but it does take some effort.

...still doesn't justify the cost though.

As far as the sandy goes, I would have preferred they give us a reg priced one and offered the extra accessories in an accessory pack.

:exactly:
That would have been cool. I think, like that automotive resin, these are some type of cold cast process that probably doesnt require steel castings to produce them, so they come out cheaper to manufacture. For SS, the detailing is captured because it probably starts off as a viscous liquid, versus molten plastic, but that's just my guess. Could be some crazy other process:huh

Last edited:
Here's a standard description of what polystone is...

Polystone is a compound made up largely of polyurethane resin mixed with powdered stone additives that give it added weight and the porcelain or "stone-like" feel that resulted in the materials name itself. Polystone is durable and highly effective at maintaining a sharp paint finish. Unlike porcelain which is fired in an oven, Polystone is a cold-cast material in which no heat is used in the manufacturing process, resulting in much greater variations of paint finish.

People refer to it as 'cold cast porcelain' also. May be durable, but I would not put that to the test on any of my status. The thin parts do break very easy. Also, it doesn't take much to make a polystone statue chip!

SSC SW Completist are becoming an endangered species I'm afraid. I could hold it up for several years, buying every exclusive, inclusive, what have ya... eventually I quit some weeks ago, meaning I passed on the Yoda hut and the 2nd Gamorrean Guard. Once the switch is made, it's easy. Haven't ordered the Dewback nor the 4th Sandtrooper at this point, whereas in the past, I was glued behind my CPU, for every new 12" SSC PPO.

Last edited:
Back