12" Giles and PF Spike coming too!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I saw the Giles preview I wasn't too impressed. Maybe after soooo much time waiting for this I was expecting it to be absolutely perfect and he's not. His likeness is dead on Giles, however, I think the expressión, and in particular his mouth should be changed a bit. I like how ASH rounds his lips for promo shoots and I also noticed he does so many times during the show. A sexy kissy rounded lips Giles would look more like him... I don't know, I might be complaining too much. Even though the preview didn't impress me that much, I must say when I saw the pictures taken in the Con I was like 0_0 I love him. I can't wait to have him with me! As for the exclusive accesory I bet it'll be his training equipment (don't really know how you call that in English): https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/polarboy/Giles1.jpg

As for PF Spike, I ABSOLUTELY ADORE him. The interchangeable heads is great on one side, but on the other, I wish I could have two of them to display each one with each different head, but that'll never happen (well, just in my dreams). My favourite sculpt is the vamped out one, the human face is incredible, the likeness is more than perfect, but it looks so much like the first 12 inch figure of Spike. I will be pre-ordering exclusive versions of Lorne, Giles and Spike, do you guys have a clue when will the pre-orders begin??

Oh, and I also love the way Cordy looks in those pictures from action-figure! She's great, and her head doesn't look as huge as in the promo pics on SSC.com. As for PM Buffy I WANT to see something more than her back! The hair falls more naturally on the shoulders but I need a front look to make a veredict! Do you guys have any pic?

The PF Spike looks better than Buffy, IMO. He looks very life-like, and I don't think Buffy does as much.

The shot of the Cordelia figure makes her look better than the one on SSC's website.

I think Giles looks pretty much perfect. I'm wondering when he wears that suit though, I don't remember that tie....

Giles looks great in the actual case pics from SDCC. I want more pics of PF Buffy.:D

creecher said:
I didn't think Giles looked like him all that much from the link, but when I saw the little pic on the Sideshow homepage, with the glasses on, I was mightily impressed.

After such a llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg wait, I have to say I'm not all that impresssed with the sculpt from either image. For this much time spent waiting I would have expected a much more dead on sculpt that would be evident in any photo. Hopefully its just the pics and he looks more like ASH in real life. Out of the "new" figures and seeing how great Leia, Lorne, Bib and even Jabba look, I'm disappointed in Giles. It would only be worse if this were indeed the epitaph to the line.

okay, everyone is free to have an opinion but for those of you that say there's no likeness to Giles I think you must be smoking something. :lol

Here's my test. I have a girlfriend that has watched some Buffy eps with me but is certainly not a fan of the show. She hasn't seen more than a half dozen episodes and she hasn't watched any in at least a year. She couldn't tell you the names of anyone excpet Buffy Spike and maybe Angel though she didn't watch that show either and the Buffy eps she has seen are from later seasons.

Anywa, I pulled up the picture online and she said "Oh, the librarian from Buffy".

That's all the proof I need that it looks like Giles! :chew

These may take some time to load, The website is being overloaded.
Here's some great shots of Giles:
Full shot of Giles:
https://www.action-figure.com/events/main.php?g2_itemId=41948
Giles Close up with Glasses:
https://www.action-figure.com/events/main.php?g2_itemId=41950
Giles from waist up:
https://www.action-figure.com/events/main.php?g2_itemId=41952
Giles + Cordey:
https://www.action-figure.com/events/main.php?g2_itemId=41954

Here's a couple of the Spike Premium Format figure.
Full shot of Spike:
https://www.action-figure.com/events/main.php?g2_itemId=41960
Spike from the waist up:
https://www.action-figure.com/events/main.php?g2_itemId=41962

ffl1940 said:
okay, everyone is free to have an opinion but for those of you that say there's no likeness to Giles I think you must be smoking something. :lol

Here's my test. I have a girlfriend that has watched some Buffy eps with me but is certainly not a fan of the show. She hasn't seen more than a half dozen episodes and she hasn't watched any in at least a year. She couldn't tell you the names of anyone excpet Buffy Spike and maybe Angel though she didn't watch that show either and the Buffy eps she has seen are from later seasons.

Anywa, I pulled up the picture online and she said "Oh, the librarian from Buffy".

That's all the proof I need that it looks like Giles! :chew

Yes, the outfit and glasses do help to reach that conclusion. Just as the beard and outfit allowed for some to "recognize" Brent from the POTA line. The photos, [to be fair] that I've seen to not show a likeness as could be expected from Sideshow. Perhaps there were more likeness rights issues that are not being shared. If that is the case then this is a fine job of skirting those same issues and making a decent version.

Yes, the outfit and glasses do help to reach that conclusion.

actually the pic she was looking at was this one where he isn't wearing the glasses:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=1726

I reduced the page size so that she couldn't see the "Giles" "Buffy" info on the right and asked her who it was and the answer wasn't a "ummm, eeerrr, the librarian from Buffy????" She said it right off.

Doesn't mean you're wrong, you don't think the look is right, that's fine. I'm just telling you that someone else who isn't even a fan recognized it as "the librarian from Buffy" without hesitation.

DAMN! Spike is a preorder for SUNDAY. Which is my monday! I was hoping I could snag it on the weekend!:monkey4

That sucks. I'll pray it doesnt sell out.

I figured out what is throwing me off with Giles: His hair in all the pictures is kinda chestnut brown. I remember him having brown hair, but lighter, with hints of grey. I think the face sculpt is fantastic, he just looks younger than I remember him ever looking on the show. thanks for all the pics screamingmetal!

Perfect.

IMG_0114.JPG

Perfect.

IMG_0121.JPG

Ironman1188 said:
The photos, [to be fair] that I've seen to not show a likeness as could be expected from Sideshow. Perhaps there were more likeness rights issues that are not being shared.

I think the likeness is excellent--the expression is just unusual for Giles, who's usually very facially expressive with either his mouth or eyes. Neutral expressions are rare with Giles.

As for likeness rights, ASH is one of the few Buffy cast members who apparently either doesn't have or doesn't personally deal with likeness approval rights--DST doesn't preview their figures publicly without an approved likeness, but after the new Giles line was unveiled a fan asked ASH about it and ASH was pleasantly surprised that figures were coming out. So either he didn't need to be contacted for approval, or he has a manager or similar agent rubber stamp approvals for him.

I can understand a couple of the comments about the hair being kind of flat (not the color though, the color is fine to me), but I think the likeness is spot on. I showed my mother a picture of this (she was a Buffy fan during its initial run) and she loved it.

What I'm really impressed by with Giles is the way the glasses fit his face and look so natural. Much better than Skinner's glasses in the X-Files line, and definitely much better than what they did with Wesley's glasses in the DST figure line. That makes me think of a "Buffy" Wesley, when he wore his glasses all the time, and I love what I see in my head:monkey3

Now I've seen more imagesfrom the toy fare I have to say that I'm a little disapionted with elements of both the Spike and Giles figures.

Firstly I'm afraid Sideshow is showing that once again when it comes to human likenesses they are very 'hit and miss' to say the least. This Giles doesn't look that much like ASH at all I'm afriad. It could have been worse I suppose, but it's just a shame that their sculptors aren't as hot with studying the details of the human face as they are with monsters and aliens.

I like the suit and thank god he comes with a pair of glasses! After saying all that I of course want to get him as I'm a huge Giles fan, and my scoobie gang wouldn't be the same without him.

As to my beloved Spike, well as I've studied and sculpted this character so many times myself I'm going to be rather over critical I fear, but here goes.

Firstly thank god they still have the scanning info from the 12 inch version of him! So the likeness is flawless, even though the paint job is rather plain. Spike's hair is two tone (more yellow at the back fading to more white at the hairline) so to see it rendered as one flat colur is a little depressing.

As to the costume, well certain things have been bugging me there too. Things like how oversized the hands appear to be, and that shirt and the length of the duster and how narrow the sleeves are. If you look at them with the size his hands are he wouldn't be hardly able to get them out of that coat!

Here's a photo of season 2 Spike, and you can see how long the sleeves hang and what the shirt should look like. I suspected that the duster would be very difficult for them to get right as it would involve a lot more detail being put on it then is possible without upping the price even further, but little things like the length and the width of the sleeves and coat could have been achieved without too much trouble.

pic.jpg

If nothing else I do hope that they change that shirt, I find it very distracting.

I wouldn't have minded so much if this was just a 12 inch doll, but considering the price range this should have been the ultimate Spike figure, and at the moment certain little 'touches' are stopping it from being that.

Last edited:
Minimodel said:
Shame i was hoping Thames Valley Dude might have got the drop on this much as Tomandshell did with Boba Fett.All his tireless campaigning...he must be delighted

I am now I've seen it...I knew going on a vacation during the Con was a mistake!

Dance of Joy time :chew

Back