12" ANH Leia

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The production paint job on ROTS Obi-Wan is nowhere near SSC's best effort and was a huge disappointment.

The sculpt is great, though. Josh (DA) brought mine to life. :rock

Thats funny, cause I actually thought the paint app on Obi Wan was one of the better ones. The repaints of that head sculpt, although done wonderfully, dont really add anything more dramatic as far changes go. (at least based on the pics Ive seeen so far of those that got it repainted).

I didn't see any major problems with Obi-wan. Or at least there are a number of other figures that I would think of first when it comes to disappointing paint jobs. I wasn't collecting SS figures when he came out, though, so I didn't see the prototype. Anyone have any comparison pics?

The production paint job on ROTS Obi-Wan is nowhere near SSC's best effort and was a huge disappointment.

It definitely wasn't spot on accurrate as was indicated by the earlier post, but the overall application of the colors was one of SSC's best jobs, even if the hair tones weren't right, they were applied cleanly and the skin tone had a nice mix to it, and the eyes looked good, definitely not a huge dissappointment, slightly irritating slip up maybe.

Nah. I respectfully maintain that it was a disappointment:

obiwan_bungled.jpg

Left: PROTOTYPE................. Right: FINAL PRODUCTION

If you set your hopes as high as the proto, especially the SDCC images, ya, it would be dissappointing, but I'm surprised you expected it to be that good, SSC never came close to their protos when the Star Wars line started, ther bar was always much higher. They're getting better now though. The best comparison is SSC production piece in hand to the Rebelscum Toy Fair images, and the final piece wasn't that far off in quality, just color choice.

The best comparison is SSC production piece in hand to the Rebelscum Toy Fair images, and the final piece wasn't that far off in quality, just color choice.

This is one issue that I really don't understand. The prototype for Faramir, for example, had very different hair color than the production figure, and so have a number of others like Obi-wan. I can understand the applications not being as nuanced on a production figure, but why can't they use the same colors?

This is one issue that I really don't understand. The prototype for Faramir, for example, had very different hair color than the production figure, and so have a number of others like Obi-wan. I can understand the applications not being as nuanced on a production figure, but why can't they use the same colors?

I think they try, but for whatever the reason, there is inconsistency with Sideshow paint apps sometimes. Faramir was a tragedy and yet, I don't rememeber what, there was another figure just before or just after him that was one of their better paint jobs. My guess is, multiple production facilities, cheap labor, and accidents happen. It's somewhat par for the course with them, for better or worse, and I think most long time followers of their product have come to expent the Russian roullette that is Sideshow production paint.

I think they try, but for whatever the reason, there is inconsistency with Sideshow paint apps sometimes. Faramir was a tragedy and yet, I don't rememeber what, there was another figure just before or just after him that was one of their better paint jobs. My guess is, multiple production facilities, cheap labor, and accidents happen. It's somewhat par for the course with them, for better or worse, and I think most long time followers of their product have come to expent the Russian roullette that is Sideshow production paint.

If they mess up ANH Obi-Wan.... :emperor:emperor:emperor:emperor

It just seems to me like they would have a manual that would detail what colors should be used where, such as "for the hair, use brown #3 with brown #1 highlights" or whatever. Surely they don't just show them a picture and say "do your best." I would also think that they would have some people monitoring the production to make sure it doesn't go off the rails. So how does this kind of thing happen? The only thing I can think of is that the paints used by the people who paint the prototypes are totally different from the ones used in production, and the production people just have to choose the ones in their range that are the closest.

It just seems to me like they would have a manual that would detail what colors should be used where, such as "for the hair, use brown #3 with brown #1 highlights" or whatever. Surely they don't just show them a picture and say "do your best." I would also think that they would have some people monitoring the production to make sure it doesn't go off the rails. So how does this kind of thing happen? The only thing I can think of is that the paints used by the people who paint the prototypes are totally different from the ones used in production, and the production people just have to choose the ones in their range that are the closest.

I think you've come very close to making the case, if you haven't actually hit the nail on the head. I've long thought the same thing. I remember at least one case in which fabrics were switched out at the last minute, due to a particular type of cloth's inability to be located by the Chinese factory. No reason to believe the same thing can't happen with paint.

The process is, they do up the prototype, and I believe they send it to the factory for viewing. The factory then turns in at least one production sample in the course between prototype and the final, shipped item. Sideshow approves of the production sample and off it goes for final production. Instances like Obi-Wan's hair color could have been a matter of SSC approval, or it could also be that the factory slipped up and didn't match their final production sample, same with instances like Faramir.

As for proto-production differences, the proto painters are staff members that are highly skilled and take their time painting the pieces, where the production painters are certainly not amateurs, but they're also not at the same skill level nor are they going to be able to give each figure the same time and care as a single prototype. I figure a production painter rolls out 100 figures in the time it takes to paint the prototype head alone, rought figure.

I couldn't agree more. With the exception of Palpatine, this is the 12" figure I've looked forward to the most.

It would be interesting to see a sort of study of why there is such a disparity in paint apps, and how it seems to be spread throughout entire runs. One figure (say Faramir) suffers from abysmal paint application, while another (ANH Leia) winds up being particularly flawless. And this occurs throughout the run of the figure!

Leia shows that it can be done, and done consistently through a figure's complete run. Find out what department of the factory is responsible for the mess-ups, then insist that they don't do it again.

I'd like it if the Bespin Escape figure was a SDCC exclusive and the Hoth Leia was the regular release.

That would be a good idea, although if that were the case I'd probably just pass on the Hoth version. I'm gonna try to stay away from Hoth figures (except for maybe a grunt)... gotta draw the line somewhere

Oh you and me both, he's my grail of the year, I might actually shed a tear, BUT, we've gotten Leia and Bespin Luke, both looking fantastic from the factory, so I have high confidence in success with Ben.

Keep in mind that the proto painters are using paints from the US and the the paints on the production pieces are locally sourced. You would think they'd use a color standard like Pantone or something to make sure they matched up though.

And I think everyone will be very, very pleased with production ANH Obi...

Keep in mind that the proto painters are using paints from the US and the the paints on the production pieces are locally sourced. You would think they'd use a color standard like Pantone or something to make sure they matched up though.

And I think everyone will be very, very pleased with production ANH Obi...

Hurrah! Lead based Chinese paint for our SSC figures!

Back