1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn't this and Hoth Han be released by now?
Release dates have been the same since these were put up for PO a ~year ago. Next time you feel the need to post asking why these figures haven't been released yet, cross reference the product pages on Sideshow with a calendar. :D

Release dates have been the same since these were put up for PO a ~year ago. Next time you feel the need to post asking why these figures haven't been released yet, cross reference the product pages on Sideshow with a calendar. :D

That’s why I come here to get help from my “kind” brothers!! I am not getting these so it was a question of the fly. I remember it was last year at SDCC when I saw them last….

We see things different then. I would like my figures to look like small people jumping off the screen. I live a life of dissapointment. :mad:

Agreed. I think that the gradual increase in price and the evolution of quality in this hobby over the years is what fuels today's expectations. I get where the old-schoolers are coming from because they've watched this hobby evolve from pretty meh $40 figs 10 years ago to what the 1/6 game has became today. For several reasons it's probably easier for them to have lower expectations then many of the newer guys.

Personally, it's the quality that we've seen over the last 5 or so years that even attracted me to this hobby. I wouldn't even be interested if the product today looked as it did 10+ years ago. And it's hard for me to really view these as toys considering today's quality and price points. I mean they are but they're not. I've only been collecting for just short of 3 years so maybe it's a newb mentality, but I have pretty high expectations for my $200-$1000 1/6 items.

I get where the old-schoolers are coming from because they've watched this hobby evolve from pretty meh $40 figs 10 years ago to what the 1/6 game has became today. For several reasons it's probably easier for them to have lower expectations then many of the newer guys.

It's that yes, and experience. Experience that teaches you that no matter how 'perfect' you believe your figure is today, time will catch up with it and your amazingly accurate Loki or Batman or whatever will look toyish by future standards.

That is when the newb becomes the old-schooler.

I dunno, Wor-Gar. No doubt figures will continue to improve but I don't think we'll see the kind of orders of magnitude improvements we've seen over say the last 3 or 4 years. I remember looking at Sideshow SW figures way before I got into collecting and what kept me out of the hobby was how crappy I thought they looked. If I had bought those figures then, I'd be itching to replace them for sure. Whereas, say HT releases a 'better' BD T2 Arnie 5 years from now, I really doubt it will have improved so much that the DX13 looks like a POS in comparison. Most of what I'm buying now I just don't feel even needs to be improved (for my display purposes, anyway).

The tremendous improvements we've seen recently haven't been due to advancement in technological/manufacturing processes or other factors that were previously limited (insofar as you can limit imagination), they've been due to changes in market and consumer preference for the most part. Then of course simply more effort and resources (maybe even passion) put into producing the finished products to address the market. It's already possible today from an engineering perspective to create something far "better" and more robust than what the majority of the industry is putting out, but the market isn't there yet. It may never be. How much more are we willing to pay for a super advanced base body for instance?

I don't think we'll see the kind of orders of magnitude improvements we've seen over say the last 3 or 4 years.

Improvement is improvement, regardless of magnitude. The better things get, the more expectation is created and the more complaining and disappointment you find. Its an ironic thing.

Areas that can be improved upon: body type, shape -- using "real" hair -- glass eyes -- bendable hands that look and pose real --

The possibilities are endless how to improve beyond where we are. You sound like many of us did back in 2006 having come from 1/6th collecting in 2001. Leaps and bounds were made then too, but you'd never notice it now.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Wor-Gar again.

Very well put, WG. I started writing a response but gave up. You managed to say what I was thinking!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Wor-Gar again.

Very well put, WG. I started writing a response but gave up. You managed to say what I was thinking!

Ha, I just had the same thing happen to me.

Very well put WG. I still can't believe it when I look at Sideshow's old Jedi Luke and Aragorn figures that those were what got me into 1/6 collecting. Back then they seemed so great and now they just make me laugh.

when I look at Sideshow's old Jedi Luke and Aragorn figures that those were what got me into 1/6 collecting. Back then they seemed so great and now they just make me laugh.

Then you'd be floored when holding and looking at a 1/6 Million Dollar Man from 1977.

You guys want to have a good laugh, take a look at Sideshow's Terminator T2 figures from old against what HT offers now. Makes such a good example.

T800-1-SS.jpg

I remember being a lowly rebelscum lurker and seeing a link to the utterly "lifelike" Jedi Luke in 2006. I was hooked on high end 1/6 and 1/4 from then on. Of course those figures from 8 years ago are anything but high end now. $49.99. Ah the good old days . :lol

Back