1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of interest, asgardianboy. Have you ever displayed any of your collection in the Collection thread? From reading through the forums you seem to own almost all of the OT figures by HT or SSC and have been looking for how best to improve them or display them. Do you simply have them all boxed up in storage somewhere while dioramas are being built or have you got some of them on display with even simple dioramas?

I'm in the process of finishing up a DS corridor diorama (when I actually get any free time) and am probably going to make some Hoth, Jabba's Palace and Bespin dioramas for other figures, but these are just in Kallax shaped apertures on by bookshelf rather than Detolf cabinets. Even without the dioramas being built the figures are freestanding at 3 figures for aperture. After a bit of futzing and posing I've never felt the need to do anything other than remove the fat pants off the HT Snowtrooper to make me really happy with how they look (besides constant grooming of ANH Chewie to try and make the most of him when I remember).

I'm just curious as to how you display or store them and at what point you think you'd be happy to then open any figures and display them, with or without diorama. With the case of waiting for HT to make a figure so not opening a SSC version I don't think I could just keep a Biker Scout in the box in the hope that at some point HT made one. Even then I think I might only be tempted to pick up a Tomy 1/6 helmet to swap that out somehow. But that's regardless of making a diorama for it. I think I might be happy to have a Biker Scout, TIE Pilot and DS Gunner standing to attention... even before making a DSII Landing Bay dio.

Most of what you ask, I have already answered in posts that you say you have read.
Glad you took the time. I invite you to do it again. You will certainly find answers to your questions this second time.
I understand your preferences regarding not being able to keep a figure in its box. I clearly have other preferences.
m.

Just out of interest, asgardianboy. Have you ever displayed any of your collection in the Collection thread? From reading through the forums you seem to own almost all of the OT figures by HT or SSC and have been looking for how best to improve them or display them. Do you simply have them all boxed up in storage somewhere while dioramas are being built or have you got some of them on display with even simple dioramas?

I'm in the process of finishing up a DS corridor diorama (when I actually get any free time) and am probably going to make some Hoth, Jabba's Palace and Bespin dioramas for other figures, but these are just in Kallax shaped apertures on by bookshelf rather than Detolf cabinets. Even without the dioramas being built the figures are freestanding at 3 figures for aperture. After a bit of futzing and posing I've never felt the need to do anything other than remove the fat pants off the HT Snowtrooper to make me really happy with how they look (besides constant grooming of ANH Chewie to try and make the most of him when I remember).

I'm just curious as to how you display or store them and at what point you think you'd be happy to then open any figures and display them, with or without diorama. With the case of waiting for HT to make a figure so not opening a SSC version I don't think I could just keep a Biker Scout in the box in the hope that at some point HT made one. Even then I think I might only be tempted to pick up a Tomy 1/6 helmet to swap that out somehow. But that's regardless of making a diorama for it. I think I might be happy to have a Biker Scout, TIE Pilot and DS Gunner standing to attention... even before making a DSII Landing Bay dio.

Did you use some special, thinner velcro? Usual velcro can be so thick.....
Did you glue it, or sew it?
m.
If you open the links that I reposted about my mods you’ll see I have a picture of the type of Velcro and a picture of the placement on the figure. They are adhesive discs so no sewing or glueing. Very thin so the vest sits much flatter than with the original snaps.
You are indeed, as always James.
And a great seller, btw. :)
Regards,
m.

Thank you. I should also mention that any mod that alters the original integrity of the figure will diminish its resale value to most collectors so keep that in mind before attempting any mods. It’s only a select few that would see even the slightest changes as improvements and worth paying more for an item rather than less.

Most of what you ask, I have already answered in posts that you say you have read.
Glad you took the time. I invite you to do it again. You will certainly find answers to your questions this second time.
I understand your preferences regarding not being able to keep a figure in its box. I clearly have other preferences.
m.

Well... Thanks for the tone of your reply.

I guess I have the same amount of patience in reading through threads for information as your good self.

You seem to be under the impression I was trolling you. I wasn't. It was a genuine question. You've said my priorities are different to yours so maybe I was interested in what your priorities were when buying figures.

Maybe I'll take the Slikkerias road of response in future.

You are welcome. :)

What?? You mean that, after making the effort to track down my past posts in all those threads, and going through the pain to actually read them and feeling your curiosity aroused, now you won't do it again? Do you consider repetitive tasks a waste of time??? Fascinating... We agree in something!!!!!!! :)

Or maybe... maybe you didn't read anything of what I wrote, which would explain why you were asking those obvious questions?
If that was the case, and you actually didn't do what you said you did, what kind of tone is that for your first message, to begin with? And while we are at it, what kind of tone could you expect in return? :)

You are free to take any road you see fit to take. Just as I am.
If only... You know? Taking the road you suggest, assuming your initial tone was actually so amicable as you seem to imply, turns out quite puzzling to me. Maybe the tone was not amicable, after all? Maybe you were trying to troll me? Who knows! (And I hope will never get to know! :) )

Best,
m.

Well... Thanks for the tone of your reply.

I guess I have the same amount of patience in reading through threads for information as your good self.

Maybe I'll take the Slikkerias road of response in future.

Sorry, James.
I am saving that valuable and significant message of yours for when I am done with the futility of having to excuse myself to others just for asking questions to a supposedly helpful community. Your very message is proof of how futile that is and how futile those are.

I haven't thoroughly read your message yet, nor have I actually pondered your pictures. It further links to previous messages. There is even "velcro activity" in this thread, linked to you, going back to 2015!:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130765&p=7656037&viewfull=1#post7656037

I'll go through all that and get back to you.

I have 2 (expensive) spare Bespin Luke heads, bought back in the day to improve 2 SSC Lukes, way before HT entered OT. ANH Luke and Jedi Luke by HT just turned the tables. I remember one of the heads costing me $125 on eBay.

One is already repurposed, the other one dangles yet. This might be it. I know modding the helmet will have consequences, just as you point out, even if my Luke is the Exclusive one. If HT releases Hoth Han/Luke before I get to it, then the tables will turn again. I just can't do it right now, just to please my "friends" around here.

Talk to you soon.
m.

If you open the links that I reposted about my mods you’ll see I have a picture of the type of Velcro and a picture of the placement on the figure. They are adhesive discs so no sewing or glueing. Very thin so the vest sits much flatter than with the original snaps.

Thank you. I should also mention that any mod that alters the original integrity of the figure will diminish its resale value to most collectors so keep that in mind before attempting any mods. It’s only a select few that would see even the slightest changes as improvements and worth paying more for an item rather than less.

You are welcome. :)

What?? You mean that, after making the effort to track down my past posts in all those threads, and going through the pain to actually read them and feeling your curiosity aroused, now you won't do it again? Do you consider repetitive tasks a waste of time... Fascinating... We agree in something!!!!!!! :)

Or maybe... maybe you didn't read anything of what I wrote, which would explain why you were asking those obvious questions?
If that was the case, and you actually didn't do what you said you did, what kind of tone is that for your first message, to begin with? And while we are at it, what kind of tone could you expect in return? :)

You are free to take any road you see fit to take. Just as I am.
If only... You know? Taking the road you suggest, assuming your initial tone was actually so amicable as you seem to imply, turns out quite puzzling to me. Maybe the tone was not amicable, after all? Maybe you were trying to troll me? Who knows! (And I hope will never get to know! :) )

Best,
m.

Maybe check my edited post.

I didn't read through all your responses but in reading through various posts that I follow (I normally checkin on anything OT) I've seen the same post from yourself about owning a figure or getting a figure. I then saw a post about you making dioramas for figures and not needing stands as you feel figures need the right environment to be displayed based on the work that's gone into creating them in the first place.

With asking for the tips/tricks/hints/upgrades to each of these figures I'm assuming you want to make the most of each figure you have and then have them displayed in an environment that would further enhance them.

Based on that I simply asked if you had ever displayed anything without this level of care and attention. Simply by futzing the existing figure into a pose and viewing it for a while to better get a feel for it. It was when I'd displayed my Stormtrooper figures and watching the JazzInc diorama that led me to build my own smaller version. But I'm not sure I'd have done it without displaying the figures first to see how they looked in the space.

If you feel that kind of question is trolling you then that's fine. Although I'm not sure why. It seems a very defensive stance.

Enjoy your boxes.

From memory, 1/4 inch, maybe even 1/2 inch. It was very noticeable when they were standing side by side, the swap is easy. Besides the clothes will probably fit better when you redress them yourself.

It’s funny, having swapped the bodies both seem to be the exact right size and the clothes fits better. It’s like they did a switch by mistake when they assembled the figures or if they made Han smaller than intended after noticing Luke was too tall - so that we could make the swap ourself... dunno, but it’s kind of a coincidence. Glad you pointed it out.

It is clear now!
I love them boxes!
Thanks buddy!
m.

Maybe check my edited post.

I didn't read through all your responses but in reading through various posts that I follow (I normally checkin on anything OT) I've seen the same post from yourself about owning a figure or getting a figure. I then saw a post about you making dioramas for figures and not needing stands as you feel figures need the right environment to be displayed based on the work that's gone into creating them in the first place.

With asking for the tips/tricks/hints/upgrades to each of these figures I'm assuming you want to make the most of each figure you have and then have them displayed in an environment that would further enhance them.

Based on that I simply asked if you had ever displayed anything without this level of care and attention. Simply by futzing the existing figure into a pose and viewing it for a while to better get a feel for it. It was when I'd displayed my Stormtrooper figures and watching the JazzInc diorama that led me to build my own smaller version. But I'm not sure I'd have done it without displaying the figures first to see how they looked in the space.

If you feel that kind of question is trolling you then that's fine. Although I'm not sure why. It seems a very defensive stance.

Enjoy your boxes.

It’s funny, having swapped the bodies both seem to be the exact right size and the clothes fits better. It’s like they did a switch by mistake when they assembled the figures or if they made Han smaller than intended after noticing Luke was too tall - so that we could make the swap ourself... dunno, but it’s kind of a coincidence. Glad you pointed it out.

No problemo. I'm not sure what happened either. Luckily the people assembling these figures for sideshow arent amputating any limbs.

I'm sorry guys, I never stoop to childish name calling and such (the compulsion is overwhelming right now though), but damn....asgardianboy certainly is a huge a s s hole! slikkerias and Robianco replies back were very respectful and cordial, but '....boy' wasn't havin' it. Even though I don't know you guys, I just didn't take kindly to you guys being treated with such disrespect.

tenor.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/238TBqADQsqBy/giphy.gif

m.

I'm sorry guys, I never stoop to childish name calling and such (the compulsion is overwhelming right now though), but damn....asgardianboy certainly is a huge a s s hole! slikkerias and Robianco replies back were very respectful and cordial, but '....boy' wasn't havin' it. Even though I don't know you guys, I just didn't take kindly to you guys being treated with such disrespect.

Hopefully the voice of reason here.., can we cut the B.S. and hurt egos and just get back to the futzin?! Typing literally cant convey the emotions that they were typed in and all. But the negativity is enough to have the energy of intent in it and I'll be honest my backs in knots just trying to catch up from where my last post was. So please guys I beg anyone to just IGNORE that mess.

slikkerias: Found my HOTH Luke and Han. Found it from an awesome seller here, big shout out to Jon_B. Luck would have it that they both were EX, and I got a clone trooper I didn't have and r5-d4 from him as well. I'm super stoked. The only thing more I could've asked was the blue parka for Han, but I'll live. It was brown anyway and kenner made it blue from the hue cast on it from the movie stills. Now! I am in need of a taun taun. ANYONE?! Anyone?! Bueller?! bueller?!

slikkerias: Found my HOTH Luke and Han. Found it from an awesome seller here, big shout out to Jon_B. Luck would have it that they both were EX, and I got a clone trooper I didn't have and r5-d4 from him as well. I'm super stoked. The only thing more I could've asked was the blue parka for Han, but I'll live. It was brown anyway and kenner made it blue from the hue cast on it from the movie stills. Now! I am in need of a taun taun. ANYONE?! Anyone?! Bueller?! bueller?!

That sounds awesome! I have a tauntaun on the way from the US now and crossing my fingers it’ll arrive safely. That creature is a beauty!
I personally like the brown coat even though I had/have the old Kenner Han.
Btw as I was told earlier in the thread, you should swap the two bodies, Luke’s and Han’s. Suddenly Luke becomes significantly smaller than Han as he should be.

I'm still contemplating The Hoth Han and then using the Tracker head in the hood. Definitely brown coat for me now though... even as an old blue-coat Kenner kid.

Patience will have to be my friend with this though... Snowie Commander should come first.

@robianco I like that snowy commander Idea~! I just need a chew and probe droid and the taun taun now! Thanks for growing the list longer! haha Tracker solo hs for the win @slikkerias! I must get one too!

Back