1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG
You really mean Sideshow made Luke taller than Han?????????? For real????
But hey: even in marketing images of Luke those SSC guys were carefree enough to let the "buttons" you mention (studs) be as visible as you say they are (and I was so silly to not notice or not care). So yes: they are really sloppy, enough to make Luke taller than Han... unbelievable...

So OK man: I'll switch the bodies when I begin working on these two guys (yes, I got both, sold away their ****** uncovered heads and useless stands though). If you could send a picture of the result, it would be even more encouraging!

Regarding the studs... I wonder if velcro could do the trick... Does anyone in the room if anybody already tried? Velcro that thin must be difficult to get hold of, right...? Never done clothes...

medicomsucks: a big thank you!!!! How could I not notice the studs...???

Besides that, any other grip with thes Echo Base figures, guys?? Just how good/bad are the bodies after some play time? Do boots hold up well? Are they flexible enough, or do you end up hating them after some time?

Regards,
m.

Body is too tall, if you also get hoth han just swap the bodies. Only other eyesore for me are the buttons of his coat are huge and can be seen pretty easily like the old 12" hasbro figures. Otherwise its great if you have the hat on. The likeness isnt great but not the worst I've seen either.

OMG
You really mean Sideshow made Luke taller than Han?????????? For real????
But hey: even in marketing images of Luke those SSC guys were carefree enough to let the "buttons" you mention (studs) be as visible as you say they are (and I was so silly to not notice or not care). So yes: they are really sloppy, enough to make Luke taller than Han... unbelievable...

So OK man: I'll switch the bodies when I begin working on these two guys (yes, I got both, sold away their ****** uncovered heads and useless stands though). If you could send a picture of the result, it would be even more encouraging!

Regarding the studs... I wonder if velcro could do the trick... Does anyone in the room if anybody already tried? Velcro that thin must be difficult to get hold of, right...? Never done clothes...

medicomsucks: a big thank you!!!! How could I not notice the studs...???

Besides that, any other grip with thes Echo Base figures, guys?? Just how good/bad are the bodies after some play time? Do boots hold up well? Are they flexible enough, or do you end up hating them after some time?

Regards,
m.

Yes, Luke is taller than Han. That can be fixed.
Yes someone here used Velcro.
Don’t see how the stands could be useless. They’re great and the attachments are awesome.
But this is a bit odd... If you actually do have the figures you wouldn’t have to ask if Luke really is taller than Han and if the boots are flexible... They are very flexible indeed and yes the bodies should be switched. But as you know by now the bodies aren’t ass sturdy as HT.

I’m not a fan of that sculpt but a paint job might be an improvement. I used the DX sculpt on mine.
bc4401f3ae5fb996deb09b6902974131.jpg

105543fbe82a0f65c20f87ca18848d58.jpg

9f0bcf6b1bc84b75dfc5b3a6437d3b25.jpg

0e4809ecf30c8c8be4e7c3b4f5a4adda.jpg

8b2fad8d22c5b161488b43162d764a0a.jpg

I did try the DX hairsculpt on the original sculpt and it is an improvement I think.
d3034e8ab8045e759d89cd9b42b7cc69.jpg

916d129682eb4b76257f4e0417234a2c.jpg

94bfdae5ca3fa6f5f6e4031aa0e739ec.jpg

e0e10c9d915941cbf9aa48a1c0d677b4.jpg

Yes. All mods done by me. I did them with the intention that I did not want to ruin the DX sculpt in any way so everything I did was to accommodate the preservation of that sculpt.

I first removed the cloth scarf from the head and then I boiled the hat to make it easier to get the face out. I had to trim or shave the inside of the hat parts so the DX sculpt would fit. I also added a piece of metal that the magnet on the sculpt to attach to so it would be easier to swap out the hat for the hair when I wanted. I think I still have pics I can provide.

6207b8600de762d64b03644060562430.jpg

4db9df93341b6d4cf1793eb499469616.jpg

66468547314613f42b2386fa7e1b907f.jpg

b3b98182813dd91e4de5b1a841e4e98c.jpg

35c54b425e803f3c414aa452c5f2b9c9.jpg

37f5082976f7c04b5df728757570f04d.jpg

10fae681d1d2f8ae6b2b5a9b98f00c58.jpg

I still wanted to be able to use the PERS system so the magnet solution seemed like the best bet. Trimmed out the inside of the hat enough for the forehead to fit inside.
a4e03d4c2224bdab598f115b7f182f58.jpg

I also glued the strap a bit more together and overlapping so it would be tighter to the chin.
5a57fcc6ecd7727f1549ab02fd90b05f.jpg

I never liked the snaps on the vest or the pants because it looked like they were always busting to get open so I removed the snaps and added Velcro discs and I am much happier with the way it turned out.
2ef7f9a7a666129b59f314917adb4e9d.jpg

d45e67709c96a842ed16f8234f3e44be.jpg

127e57d6abfa44e642162cb7ff1272ae.jpg

b1d7756b8d7b5e53ac5041901f9f570e.jpg

b18b7f57162cef337028de47cc2926e5.jpg

b3e9a1c64e025300a15dd78ee7c96ee4.jpg

d9152fbbddf74708af2263f0e1f5e9cf.jpg

I should also mention that I swapped the body with a DX Luke body to make everything easier on the head swap and body proportions. Also the DX ankle pegs fit nicely into the sideshow boots.

Reposting these for asboy. Here are all the mods I did to mine.

Regards,
m.

The only thing i dont like about han's oufit is the leg strap for his holster. Its fixable but I'm not sure why sideshow messed that up so bad. Its a great set overall. I want to get the space trekker han head for my hoth han but there are a lot of things i want. Now we just need a tantaun with split belly (stuffed with rice?)

As I said, these guys wait in their boxes, which, as you could have imagined yourself, implies:

- I have never put them side by side. Couldn't even imagine SSC wouldn't respect statures (let alone invert them!).

- Never posed them. Touched the boots. Rubber. Might be flexible enough, or not. You need some playtime to see. Didn't have the time nor the space. And if HT should ever make these, I'd rather have kept them untouched.

FYI: I don't use stands. They go against my religion, which is diorama-making for synergies, superior realism and enjoyment. I kept the ice/rock thingies, of course. Useful for my Hoth domination schemes.

Satisfied slikkerias? Any other suspicion of wrongdoing I could clear up for ya? Oh thanks for the info btw.

Now, does anybody remember at which kilometer of this thread did the velcro thing happen?

I must confess I'm intrigued slikkerias: when you say "that can be fixed", do you refer to just the body switching or to some more elaborated something else?

Best,
m.

Yes, Luke is taller than Han. That can be fixed.
Yes someone here used Velcro.
Don’t see how the stands could be useless. They’re great and the attachments are awesome.
But this is a bit odd... If you actually do have the figures you wouldn’t have to ask if Luke really is taller than Han and if the boots are flexible... They are very flexible indeed and yes the bodies should be switched. But as you know by now the bodies aren’t ass sturdy as HT.

As I said, these guys wait in their boxes, which, as you could have imagined yourself, implies:

- I have never put them side by side. Couldn't even imagine SSC wouldn't respect statures (let alone invert them!).

- Never posed them. Touched the boots. Rubber. Might be flexible enough, or not. You need some playtime to see. Didn't have the time nor the space. And if HT should ever make these, I'd rather have kept them untouched.

FYI: I don't use stands. They go against my religion, which is diorama-making for synergies, superior realism and enjoyment. I kept the ice/rock thingies, of course. Useful for my Hoth domination schemes.

Satisfied slikkerias? Any other suspicion of wrongdoing I could clear up for ya? Oh thanks for the info btw.

Now, does anybody remember at which kilometer of this thread did the velcro thing happen?

I must confess I'm intrigued slikkerias: when you say "that can be fixed", do you refer to just the body switching or to some more elaborated something else?

Best,
m.

Nah, I just think it’s weird that you are so negative and judgmental in general towards the companies that make these figures - especially SSC - when you don’t even bother taking them out of the box to see what your own opinion might be. But each their own. Also, if you won’t even take them out of the box IF someday HT would do them, then why would you sell off pieces and make them much less valuable?
Excuse my apparent ‘rudeness’ with you, but apparently you have these figures and you are asking people their opinions about every single detail about them, and it seems without even bothering making your own opinions by looking at the figures yourself. The last 1000 pages here, as you point out, are people making up their own opinions about these figures. I just don’t find it very constructive being so aggressive towards the makers of these things just based on other people’s opinions.
But again, at least you are well behaved towards people in here.
The Velcro is not that far back in the thread, so you won’t spend much valuable time finding it.
‘Can be fixed’ means you can switch the bodies as you have both.
Best, s

Best,
m.

Nah, I just think it’s weird that you are so negative and judgmental in general towards the companies that make these figures - especially SSC - when you don’t even bother taking the figures out of the box to see what your own opinion might be. But each their own. Also, if you won’t even take them out of the box IF someday HT would do them, then why would you sell off pieces and make them much less valuable? Now that you already opened the box and sold off stuff, I’m sure taking the figure out and try out the flexibility of the boots won’t devalue it any further.
Excuse my apparent ‘rudeness’ with you, but apparently you have these figures and you are asking people about every single detail about them, and it seems without even bothering making your own opinions by looking at the figures yourself. The last 1000 pages here, as you point out, are people making up their own minds about these figures. I just don’t find it very constructive being so aggressive towards the makers of these things just based on other people’s opinions. Each their own, but you should expect to get some negativity back.
The Velcro is not that far back in the thread, so you won’t spend much valuable time finding it.
Best, s

It was me that used the Velcro. I bumped up my post on it so it is easier to find even though I found it in less than a minute. Trying to be helpful.

Hey jedijim3002! How is the velcro holding up since you've done it? Have you had to replace any pads or is it all still sticking together well?

And to asgardianboy, any pics of your dioramas? I love seeing that stuff, and can see how a stand would detract. My own display is pretty static, museum-pose-esque, and thus all my figures are on stands. Also, I'm afraid of earthquakes.

Great work, jedijim3002! :clap
Thank you!
Hey jedijim3002! How is the velcro holding up since you've done it? Have you had to replace any pads or is it all still sticking together well?

Velcro still holding up great. Haven’t had a problem. Of course he’s been sitting on the Taun Taun ever since so I haven’t moved him around much.

Did you use some special, thinner velcro? Usual velcro can be so thick.....
Did you glue it, or sew it?
m.

Thank you!

Velcro still holding up great. Haven’t had a problem. Of course he’s been sitting on the Taun Taun ever since so I haven’t moved him around much.

Can't show anything yet because of lack of space, and even when I shall have it, I'll have to customize the furniture that will contain them.
Let me explain.

My grip with posing figures in isolation is that it doesn't look natural, and with all the effort gone into making this figures almost photorealistic, exposing them as if they were nice toys... feels kind of incoherent. Set in their stands, as if they were inert icons to worship, they don't look real to me. My whole point is going "realistic" that last mile (exposing), and bringing the figures to life by having them enact some situation, within the frame of a diorama, and w/o stands. As you might imagine, 1/6 dioramas tend to be ginormous, and that's why my whole scheming is just that right now. Scheming. And purchasing. And asking. I am planning for the very long term you know (yes, it might not happen at all, that's a risk).

One last thing about space: granted, 1/6 dioramas take up a lot of space, but try to imagine combining all the space taken by all your detolfs to make one single stage to put all those figures in. That might be a hell of a big stage, right? And you wouldn't be sacrificing more of your house for your hobby, right? Imagine also that you had bought all your figures (and diorama accessories) not in a one by one basis, but as members of a diorama (or several dioramas) that you had in mind since the beginning. Imagine that you were intending to pile dioramas one on top of another, within the space of a single piece of furniture (going from the ground to the ceiling), so that to save as much space as possible (well, true, you would also need some sort of ladder from time to time, yeah). In the lower part of that furniture you could even keep artboxes you'd wish to carefully keep (not to be left to rot in come cellar). Do you get the vibe?
Hey! Don't laugh at me! It is my dream, right??

Sorry not to have something cooler to show at this point, mate. :-((((

Regards,
m.

And to asgardianboy, any pics of your dioramas? I love seeing that stuff, and can see how a stand would detract. My own display is pretty static, museum-pose-esque, and thus all my figures are on stands. Also, I'm afraid of earthquakes.

It is not weird. It is weird to you.
I read reviews. I like other people's take on things. With all that info, I will better poised when I go all hands-on with the figures, should the time come. Is this weird? And even if it is, why do you care so much? That's weird to me! :)
Doesn't arise the idea in your mind that maybe that's none of your business? That, if you don't like my asking you can just ignore me? Do you really prefer spending your time going all Sherlock on me, and letting me know that it is just so wrong to find out about figures you own but keep in their boxes?
OK then.

Back when I sold the parts I sold, it was not so clear to me that HT was going to enter the SW scene so harshly. They had done Bespin Luke, but I was not certain about what was going to happen (or I didn't even care). Otherwise, I'd have sold these things away, as I am doing now with some other SSC stuff I own (yes, they are still in their boxes too: you see? useful!). Because I am positive HT is going to do EVERYTHING SW they haven't done yet, given enough time (yes, even Hoth Han/Luke, and the bounty hunters), so yes: I'll have to sell the figs for less, now that they are deprived of certain parts.

I can't take the time right now to form an opinion of my own on my figures, which would take quite some time (you find issues, you search workarounds, so that those issues might or might not be actuall issues, you fail, you ask around, you retry, finally reach conclusions, you change your mind, etc etc etc etc). So I just ask what other people (who have had the time) think. I compare points of view and write down what I will have to check and verify).

Oh man..... It is so tiresome having to justify all this... :-(

You are not rude. You are just inquisitorial, and not talking openly. You suspect something awful is afoot (I might be a freeloading community destroyer, or something) and you are deeply worried about it. There are others who answer my questions (with awesome generosity, I must say) and don't even stop to think twice. But you do, so I say: come on, go ahead, speak your mind and let's finish this for good, shall we?

Regards,
m.

PS: at $220+ a pop, and after seeing SSC giving pats on their own backs for being so awesome, without even facing their customers down here (as Asmus does), I think I have all the right to be negative and judgemental, don't you agree? And oh yes: I criticize Asmus too when I think they screw it. I am entitled to do that too. My saving grace (at least in my view): I think I do abide by that adage that goes "He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help."

Nah, I just think it’s weird that you are so negative and judgmental in general towards the companies that make these figures - especially SSC - when you don’t even bother taking the figures out of the box to see what your own opinion might be. But each their own. Also, if you won’t even take them out of the box IF someday HT would do them, then why would you sell off pieces and make them much less valuable? Now that you already opened the box and sold off stuff, I’m sure taking the figure out and try out the flexibility of the boots won’t devalue it any further.
Excuse my apparent ‘rudeness’ with you, but apparently you have these figures and you are asking people about every single detail about them, and it seems without even bothering making your own opinions by looking at the figures yourself. The last 1000 pages here, as you point out, are people making up their own minds about these figures. I just don’t find it very constructive being so aggressive towards the makers of these things just based on other people’s opinions. Each their own, but you should expect to get some negativity back.
Best, s

It is not weird. It is weird to you.
I read reviews. I like other people's take on things. With all that info, I will better poised when I go all hands-on with the figures, should the time come. Is this weird? And even if it is, why do you care so much? That's weird to me! :)
Doesn't arise the idea in your mind that maybe that's none of your business? That, if you don't like my asking you can just ignore me? Do you really prefer spending your time going all Sherlock on me, and letting me know that it is just so wrong to find out about figures you own but keep in their boxes?
OK then.

Back when I sold the parts I sold, it was not so clear to me that HT was going to enter the SW scene so harshly. They had done Bespin Luke, but I was not certain about what was going to happen (or I didn't even care). Otherwise, I'd have sold these things away, as I am doing now with some other SSC stuff I own (yes, they are still in their boxes too: you see? useful!). Because I am positive HT is going to do EVERYTHING SW they haven't done yet, given enough time (yes, even Hoth Han/Luke, and the bounty hunters), so yes: I'll have to sell the figs for less, now that they are deprived of certain parts.

I can't take the time right now to form an opinion of my own on my figures, which would take quite some time (you find issues, you search workarounds, so that those issues might or might not be actuall issues, you fail, you ask around, you retry, finally reach conclusions, you change your mind, etc etc etc etc). So I just ask what other people (who have had the time) think. I compare points of view and write down what I will have to check and verify).

Oh man..... It is so tiresome having to justify all this... :-(

You are not rude. You are just inquisitorial, and not talking openly. You suspect something awful is afoot (I might be a freeloading community destroyer, or something) and you are deeply worried about it. There are others who answer my questions (with awesome generosity, I must say) and don't even stop to think twice. But you do, so I say: come on, go ahead, speak your mind and let's finish this for good, shall we?

Regards,
m.

PS: at $220+ a pop, and after seeing SSC giving pats on their own backs for being so awesome, without even facing their customers down here (as Asmus does), I think I have all the right to be negative and judgemental, don't you agree? And oh yes: I criticize Asmus too when I think they screw it. I am entitled to do that too. My saving grace (at least in my view): I think I do abide by that adage that goes "He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help."

Fine, and you’re right. I was kind of suspicious and thought you might be a troll enjoying to get people to work for you. But hey, now I think you might be a dreamer that really want all these figures but don’t actually buy them... but again, I don’t care if that’s true or not. What I do care about is you asking for links to posts that you might as well find for yourself instead of spending a lot of time asking others to do it for you. Like the Velcro thing... it was like what? Two pages back? And I don’t know why you would even care about all these fixes on Figures you say you want to sell off anyways. So no matter what you are asking people about fixes that you don’t even intend to use ...usually I and others are very helpful in here, but there are limits - at least to what I find ok. You are asking for other people’s time, not to spend your own. So that’s why I have a problem with your approach to a forum like this. But hey, I could just ignore your posts as you say, and I will from now on. Spending unnecessary time is not something any of us like.
Best, s

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere you go!
m.

Fine, and you’re right. I was kind of suspicious and thought you might be a troll enjoying to get people to work for you. But hey, now I think you might be a dreamer that really want all these figures but don’t actually buy them... but again, I don’t care if that’s true or not. What I do care about is you asking for links to posts that you might as well find for yourself instead of spending a lot of time asking others to do it for you. Like the Velcro thing... it was like what? Two pages back? And I don’t know why you would even care about all these fixes on Figures you say you want to sell off anyways. So no matter what you are asking people about fixes that you don’t even intend to use ...usually I and others are very helpful in here, but there are limits - at least to what I find ok. You are asking for other people’s time, not to spend your own. So that’s why I have a problem with your approach to a forum like this. But hey, I could just ignore your posts as you say, and I will from now on. Spending unnecessary time is not something any of us like.
Best, s

Back