1/6 VTS VM053 Hypersonic Mission - Navy Test Pilot (Top Gun -Maverick Darkstar Pressure Suit)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
v1.jpg
v2.jpg
v3.jpg
v4.jpg
v5.jpg
v6.jpg
v7.jpg
v8.jpg
v9.jpg
v10.jpg
v11.jpg
v12.jpg
v13.jpg
v14.jpg
v15.jpg
v16.jpg
v17.jpg

Part list:
Detailed Head sculpture
Action body with over 30 points of articulations
Hand palms x2
Underwear
Hypersonic jet test mission full-pressure suit
Full-pressure suit helmet
Full-pressure suit gloves
Flight boots
Ejector seat boots pads
Full-pressure suit ventilating unit
Ventilating unit air tube
Ventilating unit oxygen hose
Checklist
Flag patch
Test mission patch
Food tube x2
Drinking bottle
Figure stand
1/1 Full size patch A
1/1 Full size patch B

This is a continuation of the pressure suit line they started under their DAM brand name:

d1.jpg
d2.jpg

d3.jpg

No idea on accuracy of the Tom Cruise suit as I haven't got any interest in the film, but it looks similar to the S1034 Pressure Suit worn by the U-2 pilot, which was in use from 1996.

Not bad. Sculpt is decent enough. But super odd that they went for this look from the beginning of the film, instead of the more iconic look that everyone wants.

I kind of want this as I have the other three. I swapped the sculpts on all of them as they were more useful for other figures.

However, for me Tom Cruise isn't useful for anything, so I'd drop the visor to make him less distinguishable. :monkey3

No idea on accuracy of the Tom Cruise suit as I haven't got any interest in the film, but it looks similar to the S1034 Pressure Suit worn by the U-2 pilot, which was in use from 1996.
Can’t find the best pics off hand but the suit looks pretty accurate to the movie based on these BTS photos

IMG_0115.jpeg

The helmet however isn’t accurate and appears to be too big

1690532699399.jpeg

Can’t find the best pics off hand but the suit looks pretty accurate to the movie based on these BTS photos

View attachment 652391

The helmet however isn’t accurate and appears to be too big

View attachment 652393

VTS were lucky that the suit used in the film appears to be almost identical to the S1034 they already had the pattern for. It's harder to distinguish the details in black but there's some minor differences, plus being slimmer.

Looks like they cut a corner by re-using the old helmet.

I made a few quick searches for the suit used in the film, but only found superficial details based on early speculation.

The helmet does look a little too big and it's missing the raised centre section on the lower edge, around the chin. The rest of the figure looks very good though.

The helmet does look a little too big and it's missing the raised centre section on the lower edge, around the chin. The rest of the figure looks very good though.

It's weird watching the film again, because his helmet looks too small, like a 1950s Mercury space suit helmet.

Don't know whether it was specifically designed for the film, and was slimmed down. It's simplified on the back as well.

It came to me yesterday what the slimmed down look of the Darkstar suit and helmet reminded me of...

CoverFirefoxFacts.jpg

Or maybe it's just that black is more slimming than yellow. :lol

Firefox came out four years before Top Gun and, coincidentally, Clint's character name was Mitchell Gant while Maverick's was Pete Mitchell.

Clint's costume was more of a regular jumpsuit, as opposed to a bulkier pressure suit.

Firefox2.jpg

His helmet was the smaller HGU-20/P:

firefox4.jpg

Trying to find a full shot of the costume with helmet, the only one that turned up was from an advert for the Atari arcade game:

firefox5.jpg

U-2 pilot, Joel Leveille, described the David Clark S1034 pressure suit as "like wearing a big sleeping bag."

They're constructed from several layers of material: a comfort layer; a rubber layer to provide the airtightness, and a braided sleeve.

Every suit is tailored to the pilot, and costs around $250,000.

Last edited:
Finally found something on the Darkstar helmet/suit:

Maverick helmet.jpg

Costume designer, Marlene Stewart: "General Issue flight suits, uniforms, whatever, they're not great. I mean they're fine for, you know, the average person, but obviously for our hero, Tom Cruise, everything was custom made. All his uniforms, all his flight suits were cashmere lined,. We wanted to get the scale right, better quality fabrics... of course, the space suit for the Darkstar was all custom made and had to be fully functioning like a real space suit...reproducing an iconic image that everybody knew...and getting it to look like all the designs, that they fit Tom perfectly... everything was custom made."

https://webcache.googleusercontent..../movietalk/90255260&cd=22&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
https://www.instagram.com/ironhead_studio/?ref=Instagram Panda&hl=fi

The Jose Fernandez built Darkstar helmet:

Maverick Jose Fernandez helmet.jpg
Maverick Jose Fernandez helmet 3.jpg
Maverick Jose Fernandez helmet 2.jpg
Maverick Jose Fernandez helmet 4.jpg

Jose was also the person who put the helmet on Tom in the film:

lorenzo_lofat

Jose is that you put it on him in the film? I thought that was you. But am I mistaken?@ironhead_studio?

ironhead_studio

@lorenzo_lofatyup

The socket that's missing on the back of Fernandez' helmet is referred to as "Take-Up Assembly".

S1034.jpg

I had to search to find what that meant: "take-up assembly to more positively position the pilot's head within the helmet."

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/document/cia-rdp75b00159r000400140040-9

So, the suit and helmet were inspired by the real thing, but due to the necessity of movie magic were custom designed so that "they fit Tom perfectly."

That same movie magic that allowed Maverick to survive ejection at Mach 10.3. :monkey3

Or allowed him to steal the Iranian F-14, because according to the Goofs on IMDB "The connectors for the F-14 and F-18 oxygen masks are very different. So Maverick and Rooster wouldn't have been able to connect their air hoses or radio mics, and would have had to shout at each other (if that has even worked). This would also mean their G-suits would be inoperable."

View attachment 652361View attachment 652362View attachment 652363View attachment 652364View attachment 652365View attachment 652366View attachment 652367View attachment 652368View attachment 652369View attachment 652370View attachment 652371View attachment 652372View attachment 652373View attachment 652374View attachment 652375View attachment 652376View attachment 652377

Part list:
Detailed Head sculpture
Hand palms x2
Underwear
Flight boots
Ejector seat boots pads
Checklist
Flag patch
Test mission patch
Food tube x2
Drinking bottle
Figure stand
1/1 Full size patch A
1/1 Full size patch B
hi. its possible to buy it now???? where can I find it??? Thanls so much. [email protected]

Finally found something on the Darkstar helmet/suit:

View attachment 653122

Costume designer, Marlene Stewart: "General Issue flight suits, uniforms, whatever, they're not great. I mean they're fine for, you know, the average person, but obviously for our hero, Tom Cruise, everything was custom made. All his uniforms, all his flight suits were cashmere lined,. We wanted to get the scale right, better quality fabrics... of course, the space suit for the Darkstar was all custom made and had to be fully functioning like a real space suit...reproducing an iconic image that everybody knew...and getting it to look like all the designs, that they fit Tom perfectly... everything was custom made."

https://webcache.googleusercontent..../movietalk/90255260&cd=22&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
https://www.instagram.com/ironhead_studio/?ref=Instagram Panda&hl=fi

The Jose Fernandez built Darkstar helmet:

View attachment 653126View attachment 653127View attachment 653128View attachment 653129

Jose was also the person who put the helmet on Tom in the film:

lorenzo_lofat

Jose is that you put it on him in the film? I thought that was you. But am I mistaken?@ironhead_studio?

ironhead_studio

@lorenzo_lofatyup

The socket that's missing on the back of Fernandez' helmet is referred to as "Take-Up Assembly".

View attachment 653130

I had to search to find what that meant: "take-up assembly to more positively position the pilot's head within the helmet."

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/document/cia-rdp75b00159r000400140040-9

So, the suit and helmet were inspired by the real thing, but due to the necessity of movie magic were custom designed so that "they fit Tom perfectly."

That same movie magic that allowed Maverick to survive ejection at Mach 10.3. :monkey3

Or allowed him to steal the Iranian F-14, because according to the Goofs on IMDB "The connectors for the F-14 and F-18 oxygen masks are very different. So Maverick and Rooster wouldn't have been able to connect their air hoses or radio mics, and would have had to shout at each other (if that has even worked). This would also mean their G-suits would be inoperable."

Another excellent bit of research, Asta! Thanks!

the-force-awakens-jess-pava-cover-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

For films, the helmets like this have to accommodate the proper lighting, audio and offer enough "display" area to see the actor's face and recognize it for viewers. Probably also other custom elements to help with ventilation and cooling ( for the actor's comfort and to stop the fogging effect, etc, etc)

People who get a lot of plastic surgery and other treatments like botox ( Cruise clearly has had some work done), often tend to get puffy faces from all the "adjustments" So the helmet has to not squeeze his face together and make him look like he's pudgy.

Jessica Henwick ( the only good thing about Iron Fist and Matrix 4) is stunning. She's hot as hell. But look how a helmet mashes her face together.

From the 1/6th side, I can see how VTS wants to keep the helmet roomy, so it creates future options to reuse the mold again and again, to accommodate different kind of head sculpts besides Cruise. No one knows what other licenses and films will be made in the future, good to have those options in the back of one's pocket.

This is a great looking figure IMHO, it's a bit out of my range at this point, but glad it's an option for others here who want it.

View attachment 652361View attachment 652362View attachment 652363View attachment 652364View attachment 652365View attachment 652366View attachment 652367View attachment 652368View attachment 652369View attachment 652370View attachment 652371View attachment 652372View attachment 652373View attachment 652374View attachment 652375View attachment 652376View attachment 652377

Part list:
Detailed Head sculpture
Hand palms x2
Underwear
Flight boots
Ejector seat boots pads
Checklist
Flag patch
Test mission patch
Food tube x2
Drinking bottle
Figure stand
1/1 Full size patch A
1/1 Full size patch B
Hi. Someone know how can I buy it?... How to order? Thanks.

Back