1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks excellent, zeiss. Very nice upgrade. Do you have the SS legs positioned so that he appears shorter? Height difference seems minimal when they're side by side in that second shot. Only thing I really don't like about the HT helmet is the nose insert. Other than that it's really great.

They are both standing up straight. I was surprised by this so I took both of them off the stands and compared them at the same level. The Sideshow figure is only minimally taller. They are almost completely the same height.

I made a slight mod since I posted the pictures yesterday. While I was initially concerned that the cape chain was too short after I accidentally tore it, I realized the movie costume didn't have a long chain either.

ESB_Vader.jpg

As such, I all I needed to do was not use the clasp on the chest armor and put the chain under the helmet. I think it looks pretty good now.

I like the Hot Toys body suit on the Sideshow body. The longer legs make it look less squat.

Did some more work on my Vader, got to a stage where I really like the HT bodysuit on the SSC DX body. Everything is still unpainted, and I still need to work on the inner robe.
Here's the current state:

IMG_6908_2_small.jpg

IMG_6917_2_small.jpg

did un shortened the ss body?

Fantastic pics!

Nice mods!

:clap
__

Thanks. :)

did un shortened the ss body?

Yeah, I did. I replaced the midsection with a smaller one from a HT Truetype body. Next to that, I also shortened the forearms, and heavily dremeled the body to make the HT bodysuit fit without looking puffy.

Here's pretty much what he looks like underneath (since the picture, I removed some more on his sides to get the arms in closer, and added a bit of biceps to add some definition under the suit). I also replaced the feet with modded kaiyodo ones, which took off another ~2mm of height.

IMG_6848_2_small.jpg

Here's what the original body looks like (from rebelscum):
Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-017.jpg

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I did. I replaced the midsection with a smaller one from a HT Truetype body. Next to that, I also shortened the forearms, and heavily dremeled the body to make the HT bodysuit fit without looking puffy.

Here's pretty much what he looks like underneath (since the picture, I removed some more on his sides to get the arms in closer, and added a bit of biceps to add some definition under the suit). I also replaced the feet with modded kaiyodo ones, which took off another ~2mm of height.

Love your works on the body! Can't wait to see your vader finished!

I made a slight mod since I posted the pictures yesterday. While I was initially concerned that the cape chain was too short after I accidentally tore it, I realized the movie costume didn't have a long chain either.

View attachment 243821

As such, I all I needed to do was not use the clasp on the chest armor and put the chain under the helmet. I think it looks pretty good now.

Yeah...the chain looked the longest on the ROTJ armor. Maybe it was longer on ROTS, but I don't look at that one as much. Also, the clasp on the cheat armor didn't appear until ROTJ. He didn't have it for the Ep 4 & 5...so you'd be good there too. The sideshow Belt is ROTJ and the Chest Box is ESB. A lot of these customs are going to be all over the place but better looking figures as well!

Interesting. I never knew about the differences in the belt and chest box. It just goes to show that Sideshow referred to references from both movies while making the figure.

The custom is indeed all over the place, even with mostly using Sideshow's stock figure. Of course, the most noticeable mismatched element is the helmet. I really thought I would have more difficulty in accepting the Hot Toys helmet. However, now that I have it on there, I think it actually works pretty well. I think that the Hot Toys dome is still somewhat glossy and does't look out of place with sideshow's armor. of course, my acceptance may be that I am just happy to have any kind of helmet that actually looks like Vader after Sideshow's two attempts.

The HT helmet looks great on the deluxe, zeiss. I thought I saw someone had some luck polishing the dome to bring out some shine. Might be worth it if you're indeed going for a ESB/ROTJ look.

Continued with the modification of Darth Vader Medicom repainting of the face and eyes, green and angry look ..

** Repainting and sanding mask.

2016_02_09_12_57_27_ProShot.jpg2016_02_09_11_44_58_ProShot.jpg2016_02_09_11_19_57_ProShot.jpg2016_02_09_11_20_45_ProShot.jpg2016_02_09_11_36_54_ProShot.jpg2016_02_09_11_36_46_ProShot.jpg2016_02_09_11_36_38_ProShot.jpg

opinion

Yeah...the chain looked the longest on the ROTJ armor. Maybe it was longer on ROTS, but I don't look at that one as much. Also, the clasp on the cheat armor didn't appear until ROTJ. He didn't have it for the Ep 4 & 5...so you'd be good there too. The sideshow Belt is ROTJ and the Chest Box is ESB. A lot of these customs are going to be all over the place but better looking figures as well!

The ESB stunt performer had a cape chain on the armor, so it was present in ESB during the Bespin duel.
Bespin-Duel-02-Stunt-032.jpg

The ESB stunt performer had a cape chain on the armor, so it was present in ESB during the Bespin duel.

Do you happen to know if the shoulder bells were also different on the stunt suit in ESB? In the process of modifying my shoulder bells, I've come across seemingly different shapes, and they look most different in the ESB duel shots, as in the one below. They also look like they are attached differently.

4244922-3180824368-Vader_2.png

Back