1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think someone else used that same shampoo bottle in the Vader deluxe thread. Looks familiar...

I didn't see that. Retailers seem to be dumping them - I bought two but there were lots of them. They made Stormtrooper and Yoda also, but those sculpts aren't any good. I guess we're coming into the end of the line of the TFA merchandise frenzy.

With a fair amount of work (cutting out the shampoo bottle parts in the back of the neck area, adding pin heads for chin spikes) this could be made to look pretty decent. I was surprised how close to the Kaiyodo it is, though the detail is obviously slightly softer.

Here are pics from phodis. He paid $3 so who knows. He got ripped off it sounds like. :)

Guys.. I present to you... believe it or not a really...really nice... top of a $3.00 Darth Vader bath soap bottle!!..from the local grocery store, that I prefer over the Sideshow version
that costs about 40X the price. Yes 40X ($130 on Ebay occasionally).

View attachment 226667
View attachment 226668
View attachment 226669
View attachment 226670

I know its not perfect but it's better than my current one....So this weekend I am going to buy several more of these for backup and try to work out how to cast it effectively. I have sculpey clay... latex rubber and liquid plastic ready to go so ~hopefully~ this will work out well after a few small changes...tusks and neckline.. $3.00 (THREE DOLLARS!) :D love it!.

Soap bottle heads now.... :slap

I'll admit only that its better than the 1997 Hasbro 12 inch Vader. And you spent time and energy to paint up this head for what reason...? To replace the SS or HT head? Or just for "fun"?

Soap bottle heads now.... :slap

I'll admit only that its better than the 1997 Hasbro 12 inch Vader. And you spent time and energy to paint up this head for what reason...? To replace the SS or HT head? Or just for "fun"?

Well, to be fair, I spent 20 mins of time and energy, a clean swap of time and energy spent on Freaks. I made a choice whether I wanted to have a face-off regarding Freaks member apologies being a ban-able offense... or paint the shampoo bottle top.

And I'll admit only that I did it for "fun." But the kind in quotations, not the normal kind. And I will say no more of my plans.

Here are pics from phodis. He paid $3 so who knows. He got ripped off it sounds like. :)

HA! I scored!:yess::lol

I'm having trouble finding anything about it in this thread, but has anyone tried the HT Vader suit on the SSC Deluxe?

-Kevin

I'm having trouble finding anything about it in this thread, but has anyone tried the HT Vader suit on the SSC Deluxe?

-Kevin

I haven't tried but I have both and I doubt it will fit since the SSC Deluxe is a bigger body and the HT is the same body they used for Man Of Steel Superman. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

-Kevin

The two jumpsuits are quite different - the DX is very thin and plasticky (not real quilting - molded) whereas the HT is thicker, relies more on padding and has actual sewn quilting. My guess is it wouldn't fit the DX body and would make him look pretty puffy - the HT already looks a little chubby - but the HT jumpsuit could certainly solve the skinny arms issue on the SSC.

One issue with the HT jumpsuit if you're buying it as parts is it comes in two bits - the vest/torso part is separate so is an additional cost.

I just got the HT jumpsuit and vest in this week. My plan is to use it for my custom mix of kaiyodo, SSC DX and HT parts.
As TaliBane (and MchaleyArt a few pages back) said, it's really quite puffy. If you look at the HT body parted out, as piccolo said, it's very lean, to make up for the puffiness of the suit. I had already modified my SSC DX body extensively, with a new smaller midsection, and dremeled parts, and it still looks too puffy. The SSC body is very large. I'm probably going to modify the body even more, but it's not for the lighthearted. I may make irreperable damage on the way. Another idea is to modify the bodysuit itself, though I'm not sure I want to go that far.
I also tried a Kaustic Heroic KP02 body, but the arms are too stubby IMO. I'll play around around some more with different options and post when I find a satisfying solution.

I'm getting to a place where I'm starting to like the proportions of my Darth Vader. I continued to heavily modify the SSC DX body. Next time I undress him I can take some pictures if anybody is interested.
The bodysuit is HT, and most parts from the kaiyodo (unpainted), some from the SSC DX. This is just a testfit to see how he's shaping up. I hate the SSC inner robe, so I left it off for the fit. I need to create a new one from scratch. The cape is also WIP. The HT Stormtrooper for height comparison is the tall version.
Any comments/suggestions on what to improve?

IMG_6819_2_rotated_small.jpg

IMG_6823_2_small.jpg

IMG_6830_2_small.jpg

He looks great! Very promising. As you know you had a big part in the modding of my Vader, now you're taking it a step further.

I was tempted to get the HTs jumpsuit but I knew it looked to thick for the SS Deluxe body. But it looks great there, doesn't look like you trimmed that much either.

Kaiyodo gears looks perfect, head, chest armor and boots are really my last nitpicks with mine and you just fixed them with yours. Can't wait to see him finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since you are using the ht body I go for the boots to soft goods and you wont have to mod it to make the ankles have articulation. nut looks good. what helmet is that is that from the model or the dx vader

Here's what i did with the shoulders bells,i sanded a little off the front of them for a more accurate look. The SS ANH bell is on the right just to show how much i took off. At the end of the day it's no big deal as the bells are covered by the cape for the most part.

Forgot to thank you for this. :) I did one shoulder bell so far. I decided to take a bit less off from the bottom, and instead also 1-2 mm from the top. Looking over many screenshots, I'm still confused as to what they look like on the real suit. I thought they were identical in ESB and ROTJ, but some images just seem like they are completely different in shape, and the way they are attached.

He looks great! Very promising. As you know you had a big part in the modding of my Vader, now you're taking it a step further.

I was tempted to get the HTs jumpsuit but I knew it looked to thick for the SS Deluxe body. But it looks great there, doesn't look like you trimmed that much either.

Kaiyodo gears looks perfect, head, chest armor and boots are really my last nitpicks with mine and you just fixed them with yours. Can't wait to see him finished!

Thanks, Ray. I remember your Vader looking pretty good, as well. Are you planning on updating the mask, or will you wait for the inevitable HT ESB/ROTJ version?
I'll take some shots of the body underneath, soon. There's quite a lot of work needed if you want to use the HT bodysuit. I dremeled the hell out of it, his ribs look really skeletal on the sides. :lol

since you are using the ht body I go for the boots to soft goods and you wont have to mod it to make the ankles have articulation. nut looks good. what helmet is that is that from the model or the dx vader

I'm using the SSC DX body. Still haven't decided what to do for the feet exactly. I already separated the shin armor and boots from the kaiyodo set, but the body is just floating there/resting on the feet, hence the stand in the shots. Since the body/legs are SSC, I can't use a regular ball-jointed foot in the kaiyodo boots, which are the ones I want to use. I thought about transferring the SSC foot joint to another foot, but I always disliked the articulation, so I think I'll come up with a way of using a proper balljoint somehow.
Regarding the head, I'm using the kaiyodo mask with the SSC DX dome. I already sanded the skirt about 2mm shorter than it was before (thanks again for the tips, matrix69), though I'm thinking to shorten it some more. Still hesitant though, I think I'll wait until I painted the mask to see how it looks. Once it's shortened, there's no going back.

Yea man, thought I was happy with him then you come along and do this.. Haha jk. But everyone's Vader looks great with the kaiyodo parts or HTs head. Definitely want to see how much you shaved down on the body. I might have to do the same.

I actually have a Hurricane ROTJ head coming and maybe chest armor. Still want to change his boots but as you said, it's a bit tricky with the SS joints. Hopefully we could come up with something.

'm from Venezuela have a Darth Vader as voya medicom and buy another I'm tired of customize it until you get to be the best Darth Vader there,

*** Well here you put a ejemlpo so many things I've done as you change the voice circuit and place a mini mp3, whom I put the soundtrack of Star Wars, sounds and voices of Darth Vader and Spanish, and customizable rechargeable battery when you want, you can also observe the modification of the dome as seen on the screen I get tired of seeing the movies a thousand times to put the exact size as seen ...

** Videos amount more friends then when he put the LEDs in the belt and chest box light up and blink when the mp3 sound is activated when the sounds ...
* greetings their views ...

Ahoy!

Workin on updating my SSC Vader... In addition to the HT body suit and boots, I'm working on modifying the HT dome while keeping the stock mask. A little bit more to do before I prime (chiefly thinning the helmet walls), but I'm liking where its going. [The dome is loosely secured with blue tack until final placement...]

Cheers

Vader Helmet Mod.jpg

Ahoy!

Workin on updating my SSC Vader... In addition to the HT body suit and boots, I'm working on modifying the HT dome while keeping the stock mask. A little bit more to do before I prime (chiefly thinning the helmet walls), but I'm liking where its going. [The dome is loosely secured with blue tack until final placement...]

Cheers

View attachment 242155
Looks better! If I may, I'd suggest that you use the HT mask as well, but paint it to match ESB. Yes...the ANH mask has some differences, but is still a more accurate shape than the SSC mask AND it will fit your dome better.

Ahoy!

Cheers

View attachment 242155

wow, the new dome makes the face look much better... I'm confused. :gah:

Yea man, thought I was happy with him then you come along and do this.. Haha jk. But everyone's Vader looks great with the kaiyodo parts or HTs head. Definitely want to see how much you shaved down on the body. I might have to do the same.

I actually have a Hurricane ROTJ head coming and maybe chest armor. Still want to change his boots but as you said, it's a bit tricky with the SS joints. Hopefully we could come up with something.

Damn, a hurricane sculpt; you'll end up with a better Vader than mine. :lol
I'll take some shots of the body soon. Want to shave down some more of his outer thighs, as they are slightly too bulbous at the moment.

I got an extra HT Vader helmet off of Toy Anxiety so I decided to throw it on my Sideshow Vader to see how it looks. The Sideshow neck peg did not fit so I changed it out with a standard hot toys neck peg. Note that my cape chain tore so it is much shorter than usual. Other than that, the figure is completely stock except for the HT Helmet.

My opinion: Even though the HT helmet is distinctly ANH, it still looks more like the ESB helmet than the Sideshow one due to the Sideshow one being incredibly inaccurate in shape (both the mask and dome). Overall, I think it adds to the figure tremendously.

Last edited:
Back