1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the bulge above the eyes will be hidden by the dome. You really won't see the error once the helmet is complete, so it's really not such a big deal. The cheeks and chin really doesn't need fixing, as the stock Kaiyodo LOOKS like Vader enough to not need it. It will make it more accurate, but... it can't also make it look wrong if not done right. It really isn't such a big deal.

Btw: it's important not to go too light with the gunmetal. It really should be dark, so it reads as light hitting a black surface.

My_VaderHelmet.jpg

This is the silver I´m going for. Fanmade but it just looks so swag!!!

MY_VaderArmor.jpg

Same goes for the chest. I enjoy the contrast and bling haha!

Yeah, the gunmetal looks a little too light in those fanmade pieces. Though, if you find a light gunmetal that has a nice metallic shine, without being too grainy, you can always darken it a bit with 1-3 drops of flat black.

The eyebrow mod looks great. :)

20150102_170756.jpg
20150102_170658.jpg

No contest with the Sideshow figure. Just no contest. One small thing I will fix after the gloss coat has dried up. Small blemish of silver.

totally happy with him now, thanks so much Garlic, you pushed me!

Modified the sideshow to see whats what, cut off a piece of the flare parts to make it fit better. Looks great will resculpt the top of the dome accordingly!

11v79rt.jpg

I still think you should go darker with the gunmetal. Try to match the Sideshow gunmetal color or a tad bit darker.

And if you cut some of the skirt off the Sideshow dome, I think it will look better. But be careful how you cut it.

I still think you should go darker with the gunmetal. Try to match the Sideshow gunmetal color or a tad bit darker.

And if you cut some of the skirt off the Sideshow dome, I think it will look better. But be careful how you cut it.

I prefer the lighter look. I guess it's not accurate though, I just think it looks good. Though the pictures make it seems worse than it is. :)

I also already cut the skirt. Just dont want to do too much.

Last edited:
Yeah I think the gunmetal definitely needs to be a lot darker and more subtle (almost barely noticeable in fact, like on the actual helmet).

Looks absolutely fantastic otherwise though!

Some pictures on the shelve, where it's darker, he feels more like Vader in it.

au9zbl.jpg

sli9aa.jpg

qn3h2s.jpg

Now to paint that Kaiyodo chest set...

Also, in the end you can tell the eyebrows make a difference. They reflect more because of the lift. :D

Not accurate but I think the contrast helps it at this scale, common technique when painting scaled figures the smaller the bigger the contrast

Back