1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to show how the Kaiyodo sculpt is all manners of accurately scaled. The scan armor is unfixed and hasn't been manipulated into the correct shape, so flares out in the back a bit, but you can see how the armors almost match in size.
View attachment 156046

Kudos to the sculptor really. He got so many things right, not everything, but alot still!

I'll try and get a picture taken of the face masks from the top, so you can see what I'm talking about. But basically, the addition is basically a small piece of pie shape added to the current cheeks, where the pointy end should basically just blend into the cheek face corner in towards the nose. So, a slightly curved triangle shape addition. At the outer corners, when seeing the face mask from the side, the addition is basically going to push the cheek sides about 2 mm forward.

Hope that makes sense, but the pictures will certainly illustrate what I'm talking about.

You are an amazing resource for all things Vader.:clap

Started the re-repaint of my Vader. This time I used Humbrol Gun Metal. Looks great! Needs gloss though. About the same tone as the sideshow but a little bit lighter, just a smidge. Almost the same though.

I instantly regret my decision. Humbrol gunmetal spray paint looks horrible now that I finished it. It has no depth at all looks more grey than metal.

Life suck.

I instantly regret my decision. Humbrol gunmetal spray paint looks horrible now that I finished it. It has no depth at all looks more grey than metal.

Life suck.

:gah: You did an unbelievable job - get this thing in the detolf already!

10fdny1.jpg

2dbotb4.jpg

I did it. Pfew. Looks great now.

This is the humbrol before I fixed it with GW paint. It looks very flat. More grey than metal. No not buy this crap.

okbv2c.jpg

so the games shop iron breaker is still the better to us on this project so I can get started once the item gets here. how did you take the chest armor off since it`s already on the figure

so the games shop iron breaker is still the better to us on this project so I can get started once the item gets here. how did you take the chest armor off since it`s already on the figure

Sharp stanley knife. Or whatever you call it haha.

Yes the games workshop iron breaker mixed with games workshop black looks very good.

I used 2 parts Iron breaker for 1 part black.

It's what you see above.

Shows how inaccurate the SS sculpt is, very clean job! You using an airbrush?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All hand painted. Very thin layers and a steady hand. Same goes for Boba for that matter if you ever saw that one. :D

Even more impressive! And nah, haven't seen your boba but loved your yoda and emperor. Got my first SW 1/6 figs last month, yoda and vader, so been modding them on and off. Darth maul is next... Been keeping an eye out for kaiyodo vaders now cuz of you.

Even more impressive! And nah, haven't seen your boba but loved your yoda and emperor. Got my first SW 1/6 figs last month, yoda and vader, so been modding them on and off. Darth maul is next... Been keeping an eye out for kaiyodo vaders now cuz of you.

5vzqsj.jpg

Here's my boba. Took me years to finish it with all the scratches where I wanted them. His jumpsuit is still too blue though still looking to fix that one day.. It's just such a chore to get the groin piece off.. As for the Kaiyodo, as suggested by Garlic I would recommend resculpting the eyebrows with the correct "lift" to them. Also heating and reshaping his mouthpiece in the correct asymetrical angle.

I went the extra mile and added the sideshow eyepieces which is a chore but looks totally gorgeous imo.

And the words youre looking for are :vader "most impressive." :vader

e65b1l.jpg

Flash pic

10yf0qe.jpg

Last edited:
ofrcdw.jpg

Looks great imo. Still need to gloss it up though. Have to buy new varnish tomorrow! :rock

Wow, looks awesome! I knew the SSC mouth and eyes were oversized before, but I was never really sure by how much until now.

Even without the helmet I can already tell your version looks MUCH more like what it should be.

Wow, looks awesome! I knew the SSC mouth and eyes were oversized before, but I was never really sure by how much until now.

Even without the helmet I can already tell your version looks MUCH more like what it should be.

Thanks! Still needs a final gloss coat! Couldn't be happier with it.

Boba looks crazy! And if you actually got it down to every accurate scratch, YOURE crazy! In a good way. You've got some real commitment with this vader, working fast and I don't see any brush strokes. Def will be using your pics as reference if I ever get the kit. Especially with the areas that are black and gun metal.

Boba looks crazy! And if you actually got it down to every accurate scratch, YOURE crazy! In a good way. You've got some real commitment with this vader, working fast and I don't see any brush strokes. Def will be using your pics as reference if I ever get the kit. Especially with the areas that are black and gun metal.

Boba is pretty accurate.

Used this site because it has good templates showing accurately the scratch pattern.

Boba Fett ESB Helmet Stencils

Vader is a labor of love. As was Boba, Vader is easy compared to boba though.. Boba was a horror.

Also, there is a brush stroke here and there, but they're very minor and will probably be none-existant after the final coat.

Last edited:
Back