1:6 Scale Sideshow Old Ben Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad i have my old ben. The hot toys effort looks too young and doesn't have the soul that trevor manage to add to it.

I think it was an attempt to put down the $60 Sideshow doll, which years later in a rare instance, still looks better than Hot Toys $250 doll. :lol

Best,

Robert

Last edited:
No, both sculpt and paint look really dated. As bad as HT's likeness is, I think it beats this just by being way more detailed.

So you'd rather have a detailed sculpt with a poor likeness than than a repainted sculpt with a great likeness?

And yeah, I realize how badly futzed Vader tunics are. :lol

Last edited:
I like my old Ben from SSC. I see no need to replace him with HT's. Their sculpts are just off on the human characters so far. Look at their Han. I just have to wait and see what production figures look like. I am not going to pay a lot of money for figures that turn out like That DX-05 ROTL Indy from HT's.

So you'd rather have a detailed sculpt with a poor likeness than than a repainted sculpt with a great likeness?

Well, it depends a bit on circumstance. If I had that repainted Obi-Wan, then, yep, I could see skipping HT's Ben. Their's is certainly not the homerun I was expecting (thought they'd nail Guinness). Really it comes down to lazyness on my part (in regards to buying SSC Ben and sourcing a painter) and hoping HT tweaks their sculpt. Only thing that bugs me a bit with a repainted SSC Ben is how smooth the sculpt is (which is just part of sculpting at the time and not a knock on Trevor), but I'd imagine it's not that bothersome, either, once in-hand. I will say in HT's favour that have captured a good deal of the character for me (even if a bit too samurai-like, as someone mentioned), even if likeness is off.

IMO, comparing stock vs stock I would go with Hot Toys.... but if you can get a repainted SS one then yeah it looks great, although the SS outfit material looks kind of cheap, reminds me of Chamois Towel material.

Well, it depends a bit on circumstance. If I had that repainted Obi-Wan, then, yep, I could see skipping HT's Ben. Their's is certainly not the homerun I was expecting (thought they'd nail Guinness). Really it comes down to lazyness on my part (in regards to buying SSC Ben and sourcing a painter) and hoping HT tweaks their sculpt. Only thing that bugs me a bit with a repainted SSC Ben is how smooth the sculpt is (which is just part of sculpting at the time and not a knock on Trevor), but I'd imagine it's not that bothersome, either, once in-hand. I will say in HT's favour that have captured a good deal of the character for me (even if a bit too samurai-like, as someone mentioned), even if likeness is off.

Ok, fair enough. I can understand that I guess. But overall it wasn't that bad for me either. I payed $75 for Old Ben and payed Skiman 80 for the repaint. The 'softness' of the sculpt really is diminished after a repaint.

The Old Ben out there is Short Rounds:

IMG_4905.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

I don't see anything cheap about the clothes.

The SSC clothes ain't cheap, it's just HT's looks more PT gear rather than an old man living like a hermit like he's supposed to. Still, I really dig the HT stuff and want to see it in hand. I may be down for the robe at the very least because the one I have isn't the stock one that supposed to come with Old Ben and it's inaccurate.

Damn seeing all the repaints...hot toys got nothing on ss obi sculpt

Best,

Robert

These are yours, aren't they Fiend??

You know where it's mate - nice figures, albeit I think Ben's hair needs a little 'rust' through it.

Marfmaster also has an Old Ben I've envied for some time.
Ah! Yes, Marf and ShortRound have the best Obi's. Marf had that great Yoda. :rock
These are yours, aren't they Fiend??

You know where it's mate - nice figures, albeit I think Ben's hair needs a little 'rust' through it.
Yep, those are mine. Thanks. :) I did all the custom work with the exception of Old Bens repaint. Agreed about the hair though. Its a bit too white. I still love him though. :)

Ok, fair enough. I can understand that I guess. But overall it wasn't that bad for me either. I payed $75 for Old Ben and payed Skiman 80 for the repaint. The 'softness' of the sculpt really is diminished after a repaint.

The Old Ben out there is Short Rounds:

IMG_4905.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

I don't see anything cheap about the clothes.

The SSC clothes ain't cheap, it's just HT's looks more PT gear rather than an old man living like a hermit like he's supposed to. Still, I really dig the HT stuff and want to see it in hand. I may be down for the robe at the very least because the one I have isn't the stock one that supposed to come with Old Ben and it's inaccurate.

I agree man!! And your modded and repainted Ben is awesome. I've to do the same with mine. Awesome....awesome...

Back