1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Landspeeder looks incredible.:) (I wish the companies made more official releases of dioramas and vehicles to go with the 1/6 scale figures)

#2 steering wheel vote for me Jas.

Pretty sure I should be on the list but please double check. Thanks man.

Will be very interested in the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 steering wheel for me too.

I think that full car-like wheel was only used on the driveable speeder (most of which was filmed in California without the cast,) not the one where Hamill is seen behind the wheel. Not sure the round wheel was ever intended to be actually seen onscreen, though it's on the speeder that has been used in SW prop displays so its associated with the vehicle. Either way, the non-car type is more "spaceship-like".

e00de7863b480127d0ce2ee078e73d72.jpg

Looks like No 2 is a go :yess:

Pete & me have been thrashing ideas about the base and think we've cracked it, so no matter what or who is sitting on or in the speeder it will hold level.
The tricky part now is making it invisible......which I think we also sorted.......no spoilers just yet sorry :naughty

Jas

The exhibit one does seem to have a few differences in the dash versus the Tunisia one, but I think they swapped stuff after the landspeeder was shipped to California for the high speed desert driving shots (with real steering wheel vs the sci-fi one.)

I4ZTQSY.jpg

A bit of a poll needed here chaps for which steering wheel you would all prefer:

No#01
View attachment 439115

No# 02
View attachment 439116

Jas

I'm a real layman when it comes to these types of details but what is that other type of steering wheel from a post a ways back?

Looks like No 2 is a go :yess:

Pete & me have been thrashing ideas about the base and think we've cracked it, so no matter what or who is sitting on or in the speeder it will hold level.
The tricky part now is making it invisible......which I think we also sorted.......no spoilers just yet sorry :naughty

Jas

My idea does make it pretty much invisible Jay, I will send you a pic tomorrow of my mock up it's not a Landspeeder but a 007 lotus submarine lol but it shows the look well enough 👍

Number 2 please.

I'm a real layman when it comes to these types of details but what is that other type of steering wheel from a post a ways back?

I believe there are three yokes/wheels that were used during production: the curved yoke in the pic I posted a month or two ago (from a behind the scenes shot from the scene where Ben and Luke look down over Mos Eisley) is the one used on location in Tunisia, most clearly visible in the "how long have you had these droids" scene.

The more angular yoke in the pic Jas posted a few days ago I believe is the one used for the London soundstage work, which I think was a few inserts but glimpsed in the moment where Luke has just sold his speeder (EDIT: I just had a look at that scene and it's tricky to tell - the fingergrips look similar to the curved style, but the bar looks like the angular style.)

The full "car type" steering wheel I believe was fitted in California for all of the high speed wide shots of the speeder going fast over the salt flat. To my knowledge, it's never seen onscreen, but it's been on the one that is seen in all the SW prop displays, so it's become known as the correct one.

So that curved yoke in the pic I posted a month ago is probably the most "iconic" as in seen-onscreen - and indeed Hasbro used that style (kind of) for its most recent Black Series 6" scale landspeeder. I think either of the yoke style (they are both 1960s aircraft control yokes) would be fine.

Here's the two clearest pics I can find of the yoke styles. There may be better angles, or better still, behind-the-scenes pics. And Jas is correct, in the pic I posted the yoke is "upside down" - it spins like a car steering wheel (even though an aircraft yoke isn't supposed to do that.).....

pOlPFFP.png

hxo5Plm.jpg

I believe there are three yokes/wheels that were used during production: the curved yoke in the pic I posted a month or two ago (from a behind the scenes shot from the scene where Ben and Luke look down over Mos Eisley) is the one used on location in Tunisia, most clearly visible in the "how long have you had these droids" scene.

The more angular yoke in the pic Jas posted a few days ago I believe is the one used for the London soundstage work, which I think was a few inserts but glimpsed in the moment where Luke has just sold his speeder (EDIT: I just had a look at that scene and it's tricky to tell - the fingergrips look similar to the curved style, but the bar looks like the angular style.)

I just put the blu ray in and i reckon that one when he sells his speeder is the angular one. It seems to have that "arcade joystick" top half with a trigger grip(The best way i can think of to describe it).
So i reckon you are right on the money with that being the soundstage one in that scene.

Great posting chaps, always willing to take on board advice from you guys rather than just plod on and make something terrible that you're not going to be happy with.
It's really important that you're pleased with what Pete & me create for you and believe its vital that you all get involved with the development of our movie accurate builds.

Will definitely get stuck into this and other builds as I need to make some space on the bench as we have some very exciting news and insane builds planned for 2019 / 2020.

Jas

Not sure I posted a clear shot of the highly detailed rear section showing the new bonnet profile and a close up of the jet exhaust...so here you go.

Image 48.jpg

Jas

My idea does make it pretty much invisible Jay, I will send you a pic tomorrow of my mock up it's not a Landspeeder but a 007 lotus submarine lol but it shows the look well enough 👍

Got the pictures and that is an epic idea mate and will look absolutely stunning with the “other” :wink1: thing I’m making to go with this speeder.

PS: just lovin the Lotus......1/6th?..

Jas

Having no idea how hard or easy it is to build these things, my one thought would be to just make both that aren't the regular steering wheel and give the user plug and play options for what they want.

Back