1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might have already been addressed, but is the grill on the side going to be a bit dented and uneven as we see in this shot, or will that be an extra mod we have to make ourselves? I'm fine either way you go. Just curious. :)

e00de7863b480127d0ce2ee078e73d72.jpg

Hope this isn't too late to bring this up, but is the small curved area right behind the seats able to be opened up? My one concern is that a lot (if not most) people will be displaying this with Luke, Ben, 3PO and R2 sitting in/on it in the iconic set-up and there doesn't seem to be a way to in some way accomodate 3PO from the knees down.

I understand that you get into the reality of how the 3PO costume sat in the speeder - ie it didn't - his hips weren't able to go to 90 degrees and it's also just upper leg parts with gold tin foil covering the rest for filming purposes (i assume it was just bare legs from keens down to squeeze into the cavity.)

Given many people are going to try to use a 1/6 3PO somehow with this, it might be good to at least have a cavity behind the seat area to see what people can fudge, even if it's going to be super tricky to figure it out. The Tamashii can actually be pulled apart (so you could maybe just have the below-the-knees parts popped off and the hips disjointed so it can achieve the 90 degrees), but not sure on the Sideshow 3PO.

The curved area void I'm talking about is visible in this pic:

My7HtdT.jpg

And the "simulated seating you can kind of see here:

pOlPFFP.png

This might have already been addressed, but is the grill on the side going to be a bit dented and uneven as we see in this shot, or will that be an extra mod we have to make ourselves? I'm fine either way you go. Just curious. :)

e00de7863b480127d0ce2ee078e73d72.jpg

I plan on making this as close to movie accurate as possible so yep, the side grille / bodywork will have the damage

Jas

Hope this isn't too late to bring this up, but is the small curved area right behind the seats able to be opened up? My one concern is that a lot (if not most) people will be displaying this with Luke, Ben, 3PO and R2 sitting in/on it in the iconic set-up and there doesn't seem to be a way to in some way accomodate 3PO from the knees down.

I understand that you get into the reality of how the 3PO costume sat in the speeder - ie it didn't - his hips weren't able to go to 90 degrees and it's also just upper leg parts with gold tin foil covering the rest for filming purposes (i assume it was just bare legs from keens down to squeeze into the cavity.)

Given many people are going to try to use a 1/6 3PO somehow with this, it might be good to at least have a cavity behind the seat area to see what people can fudge, even if it's going to be super tricky to figure it out. The Tamashii can actually be pulled apart (so you could maybe just have the below-the-knees parts popped off and the hips disjointed so it can achieve the 90 degrees), but not sure on the Sideshow 3PO.

The curved area void I'm talking about is visible in this pic:

My7HtdT.jpg

And the "simulated seating you can kind of see here:

pOlPFFP.png

That's a really good spot and something I missed.
I'll have a look this weekend it won't be that difficult to add a removable hatch.

Jas

That's a really good spot and something I missed.
I'll have a look this weekend it won't be that difficult to add a removable hatch.

Jas

Great! What I'm doing (and others could, even with the SSC C3PO) is pop the legs off at the hip of my Tamashii 3PO and then take a cheapo threepio (either an old vac-metallized hasbro one or the newer TFA gold plastic 3PO) and cut the legs off and use the upper legs to create a "cradle" (basically, the thighs of the cheapo 3PO glued together with an area dremeled out fo the torso to slot into) for the high-end 3PO's torso/upper body. It's not going to be perfect but will create the illuiion that 3PO is sitting on the back.

So having that hatch or void there for the legs to disappear into (even if they don't go very far) would be great. I'm probably only going to have 1cm or so go past the knee because the rest would be hidden within the crevice anyway. What I like is it kind of like the way they faked it in the movie.

I'm loving the group input going into this project 👍 You guys really know your stuff and all that info is solid gold.

I want to say something regarding the price of this and Jay & I do have one in mind but the reason we haven't said anything yet is purely down to me as I want to get one finished up so I get an idea of what Paints etc I'll need and also how long it will take me to do a run of them. I honestly have no idea how long it will take me to paint until I actually get one done and we don't want to over estimate and make the cost too high and whilst our main motivation isn't money it's also important that we cover material costs and hopefully something for our time.

We want to do the best that we can on this and from the start we knew it wouldn't be a quick project and therefore didn't want to take deposits and then have you waiting for ages for your Speeders But it shouldn't be too much longer and as soon as I have castings in the Pete Cave I will be working on the paint job full time and I promise the finished piece will be worth the wait

Pete

:goodpost:

This is the now my very very short to do list:

• Create removable leg room hatch in storage well
• Make steering wheel & install fixing points
• Remake side grilles
• Add small details / damage / distressing to bodywork
• Very minor size adjustment & improve mesh to thrust turbine intake vents
• Windshield / Screen (this can be done whilst Pete is painting so won't hold up progress)
• Secret stuff
• Cut the whole thing up into mouldable pieces and get um over to Pete

Apart from the screen and the moulding I should get most of the above completed this weekend (I'm on-call at the hospital so fingers crossed all is well) :pray:

Will post plenty of updates as I'm getting a little excited seeing this build creep closer to completion and for Pete to work his thang all over it.
As you all are aware Pete is an amazing model spray artist and I have no doubt what so ever he will do an amazing job.

Jas

Have posted some progress pics on my Twitter feed as I won’t be able to post any images on here until Monday morning.
Added a figure in the drivers seat holding the wheel & gear knob & chucked R2 on the back for scale and a bit of a teaser

Leg space created for C3PO to put his legs in also made a removable panel....done
Steering wheel and fixings points....done

Will improve the intakes & complete some of the little details to the bodywork tomorrow, just leaving a few little bits.

Soooooo close to release now chaps

Jas

Back