1:6 scale Gonk kit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries guys

Forgive my ignorance but just to confirm that the Episode 4 version is the grey coloured one ( Jawa scene ) finding a good clear reference paint. Has eluded me so far and if anyone’s has a got a clear pic then please share.the main colour for the body isn’t a problem and I can use a bit of artistic licence on the weathering but I’m still not sure about the legs and wether they need to be a silver or dark grey/black on the corrugated section

No worries guys

Forgive my ignorance but just to confirm that the Episode 4 version is the grey coloured one ( Jawa scene ) finding a good clear reference paint. Has eluded me so far and if anyone’s has a got a clear pic then please share.the main colour for the body isn’t a problem and I can use a bit of artistic licence on the weathering but I’m still not sure about the legs and wether they need to be a silver or dark grey/black on the corrugated section

Talibane has the most reference pics I think. Unfortunately I don't think there is a nice clear one.

Any good grabs from the Disney+ 4K version of ANH?

Yeah, the Sandcrawler power droid colors are hard to judge because the only ref pics are in high contrast lighting that varies a great deal.

This to me is a bit of a Han Hoth brown coat/blue coat situation - do you want the color you saw in the movie, or the color the item was in reality on-set?

In reality, I think this is what the sandcrawler PD really was, which is the color of lightly rusted older industrial/construction equipment (for example a well-used backhoe/digger's bucket or the tray of a well-used dump truck) along with some subtle oil stains and very little metallic sheen:

(A) ACTUAL COLOR OF THE PROP:

5LXPQTb.jpg

If you look at the pic below, you can see the contrast between the rusty/red-brownish color of the PD's body versus the grey of the floor, the silver of R2D2 to the left in foreground, and the dull silver of the legs/feet. This proves that the rusty color is not just a product of the lighting/color balance in this particular shot.

49424172946_8d9b30c38a_k.jpg

This pic of the Hasbro variations actually (unintentionally...) summarizes all three shades that the sandcrawler gonk appears to be in various ref pic shots (though the one of the left skews too gunmetal and the tannish one on the right should be a shade darker):
tacBF2droidsADcomp.jpg

However.... for most people, they think of the "gom-gom" shot, which looks like the pic on the left below. On the right I have included a look at the "tortured" PD from Jabba's Palace dungeon in ROTJ, because I think the lower part of it informs how the gonk color should look if you're wanting to match that "gom gom" shot look, which is a dull greyish metal (with a slight metallic sheen) with light weathering/grime/ corrosion.

This look is similar to what Hot Toys went with for their Power droid, though their weathering app is somewhat weak (a light "oil staining" look) but their base color is probably right for the "gom-gom" shot look.

(B) HOW PROP APPEARS ONSCREEN IN "ICONIC" SHOTS:

gNxH7ye.jpg

The feet and legs on Sandcrawler power droid are both a dull silver, with the (duct work) legs being a more reflective metallic sheen but also having a slight grease-like weathering which mostly makes them appear duller/darker than the feet.

Keep in mind there are a few small colored squares/"buttons" on the feet (one is red) so I'll have to post a pic of that.

I would go along with whatever everyone else wants but I am a fan of that actual color of the prop look Tali posted above.

I agree with prop. I don't think it's to dissimilar to the "hero" shot in the movie which could be replicated with lighting.

Wanting 2 power droids and 1 donut (unpainted). But for those who are getting theirs painted I would go for the extra dirty sandcrawler look. I figure the majority would be going for a Tatooine display.

I was watching the new 4k version of ANH and thought these stills might be useful.

https://i.imgur.com/FfP2GJ0.jpg

Awesome, thanks for posting those pics.:clap There's actually some roughness and four bolt heads on the lower body (below waist belt in pic on left) I never noticed before. Not a huge omission, but I may add the bolt heads to mine.

I wonder if Pete can add some of that "bumpiness" to the lower body side just by adding something to the paint. The previous images weren't high enough resolution to see that texture. Almost looks like where something is so rusted that parts of the rust have flaked off, giving it a rough texture.

The colors were a bit desaturated and the images were slightly dark so I tweaked them (tried to sharpen and color correct, overall it's a bit off because the pics were off in different ways.) Maybe people can look at both to see what looks right:

Gn1xkTn.jpg

It's cool to see that the two discs on the upper back of the body we got right. I love that this is being outputted in the UK - where the PD prop was built (just like the landspeeder - "made in Great Britain.") And so many SW things have British-made parts like Bossk's "King D1ck" brand small spanner on his chest (not to mention his suit is a British aerospace pressure suit Windak,) the British Medical syringe on the interrogation droid and those two bumps on PD here being a British navy passageway light base. There's a ton of Britain in SW.:clap

Wanting 2 power droids and 1 donut (unpainted). But for those who are getting theirs painted I would go for the extra dirty sandcrawler look. I figure the majority would be going for a Tatooine display.

I think I'm wanting my sandcrawler droid painted and my Hoth droid unpainted. There's work I want to do with the Hoth droid that I'd hate to do with a painted item.

Great reference pictures.

I am in for a dirty, Sandcrawler paint job as well.

Looking forward to this.

Hope this will pop up soon ready for payment/shipping.:yess:

Is it possible to get this kit unpainted now, or does it still need to be cast or something?

While I'd be in the market for a fully painted ANH/sandcrawler version, the ESB Hoth base version with "donut" accessory I'd probably prefer to paint myself because there's a few mods I want to do to the body before painting.

Apologies for the silence but please be assured this build is still alive :yess:
As you can imagine things have got very real at work, front line healthcare is a scary place at the best of times but during this COVID-19 stress & workloads have extremely demanding, so I need a little chill-time when I eventually get back home :medic

Any who......I have remade brand new moulds and have 3 unpainted all ready to go.

Image 006.jpg

Image 007.jpg

Image 008.jpg

Image 009.jpg

Will update as and when I can

Stay safe people

Jas

Looks good.
Are these off to Pete or would you be able part with 2 unpainted now? Also what are the painted vs unpainted prices?

Apologies for the silence but please be assured this build is still alive :yess:
As you can imagine things have got very real at work, front line healthcare is a scary place at the best of times but during this COVID-19 stress & workloads have extremely demanding, so I need a little chill-time when I eventually get back home :medic

Any who......I have remade brand new moulds and have 3 unpainted all ready to go.

View attachment 482431

View attachment 482432

View attachment 482433

View attachment 482434

Will update as and when I can

Stay safe people

Jas

I'm ready to buy whenever they're ready to ship!:yess:

I'd ideally like a painted one and second unpainted one with donut (because I'll be doing some tweaks on the body for Hoth base look gonk) but I can take them both unpainted if need be.

That is some amazing work. But more importantly, stay safe!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back