1/6 Max Rebo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how I missed this one over the past few days - great work!

(Sounds like such an understatement)

Looking forward to seeing how you piece the organ together.

Max is looking pretty darn good!! Just promise you won't try a 1/6 "Joe Cocker" shouting guy to join him in the band:lol

After much thought about how to go about making Max's organ I decided to give it a go.
I was convinced that the bulk of it could be done on a lathe but after scaling it up,it was too large for the only lathe that I had access to...& it,I though was big,but it will end up being larger than 10 inches in diameter.
with that,I figured the best way for me to go about it would be to build it in layers.I started glued various thicknesses of mdf together,made the rough cuts with my band saw,& cleaned up the pieces with a "radiusing" jig I made for a router.
DSC00270.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

From here these discs will be routed,sanded,etc to get the desired profiles of the layers I've sketched out & glued together....And hopefully it will resemble an organ.
DSC00276.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

When ever I look at your work it totally blows my mind and I love that max so much. This is gonna get even more amazing now you are doing the piano!!! LOL

Certainly excited to see this update! The completed piece is going to be amazing, and using MDF it should have a good bit of heft to it as well.

Thanks guys!

Organ update....

I started to profile the mdf discs cut for Max's organ.
The 2 middle of the 3 bottom layers(left in the pic)I had to take to work with me & shape them with a large 1 1/2" roundover bit on an overhead router.(As luck has it,I forgot my camera that morning)
Some of the discs in the previous set of pics were merely for build up & were not glued.After the routing,these pieces were removed giving the desired curvature & radii to make up the base.The smallest disc(center)has a 3/16" roundover.It will be the 1st bottom layer & will be the base.

DSC00279.jpg

The last 2 discs that make up the top half,I was able to do them at home with another makeshift radiusing jig & a router with a tilt base.

DSC00278.jpg

With all 5 pieces stacked,the overall outer shape really comes together.

DSC00280.jpg

I took the very top layer & set it up with the other radiusing jig & router to cut away the front half in several passes.This will create the shelf for the keys...which I have yet to determine how to go about making:duh
The circle in the center will be cut out just about all the way through for Max after the pieces are glued together.

DSC00281.jpg

Here the stopping points from cutting the shelf have been cleaned up.The small ledge in the back of the shelf towards the center will be for the back portion of the keys to rest upon...& will probably get trimmed back a little more.

DSC00282.jpg

From here,I need to glue all of the layers together.I plan to start priming it as well to seal up the mdf.Then start sanding, smoothing up the sides,& prime some more.I'm sure all of you guys who have used the crap knows how mdf will literally soak up paint...especially on cut sides.The suck factor here is that there are a lot of potential of paint absorbtion:banghead

LOL this is just amazing!!! Looks so good and I am so loving your workshop. I have told the mrs we have to move as my studio is great but my workshop is pants.

I want a Enaudshop :)

LOL this is just amazing!!! Looks so good and I am so loving your workshop. I have told the mrs we have to move as my studio is great but my workshop is pants.

I want a Enaudshop :)

Thanks Dorg.It has been a seemingly neverending project to get it set up the way I would like...I'm far from there but have consolidated the clutter to make it work.

You'ld laugh if you saw the outside.It still has the same abyssmal paintjob(it has had the day I bought the house a few years back)...red with white trim.My nickname for it is candyland(after the game)but "Enaudshop" sounds so much better.

That's great enaud! Looking forward to seeing more... wish I had some good powertools, can't afford much after buying 1/6 figures and silicone/resin for making stuff :monkey2

Stormtroopers couldn't hit the broadside of...

...Enaud's house.

:lol (cuz it's red and white)

Back