1/6 Luke & Leia swing bridge Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks buddy, what kind of things do you build ?. My own personal stuff has hit the rocks of late, I find lots of enthusiasm to start a new one but haven't manage to complete one for months

Pete

I enjoy pretty much any genre but main interests are military aviation, real space and Sci-Fi.

Here's a pic of my current project: Dragon's 1/72 scale Saturn V rocket. It's 5 feet tall, not counting the Mobile Launch Platform (MLP). It's been fighting me the whole way, as the kit and instructions leave much to be desired...

Saturn V build so far.jpg

I enjoy pretty much any genre but main interests are military aviation, real space and Sci-Fi.

Here's a pic of my current project: Dragon's 1/72 scale Saturn V rocket. It's 5 feet tall, not counting the Mobile Launch Platform (MLP). It's been fighting me the whole way, as the kit and instructions leave much to be desired...

View attachment 355882

That's looking great ! and at that height you will need to cut a hole in the ceiling to display it lol. Your interests sound very similar to mine I just wish my mojo would return as I have a stack of unfinished builds on my shelf of doom.

Is there an area on this site where we can post pics of scale model builds ? I had a quick look but couldn't see anything

Pete

Panels are all in

And I've done some testing for the grease stains that runs down the front of the step

It's nothing fancy just Tamiya smoke mixed with a dot of semigloss black to give a wet look

I won't be adding the oils stains until the weekend so let me know if you think the oil looks ok, it's hard to see how it will look on my bit of test plastic but I think it will be fine on the diorama

Pete

That's looking great ! and at that height you will need to cut a hole in the ceiling to display it lol. Your interests sound very similar to mine I just wish my mojo would return as I have a stack of unfinished builds on my shelf of doom.

Is there an area on this site where we can post pics of scale model builds ? I had a quick look but couldn't see anything

Pete

It actually will fit inside a shelf-less Ikea Detolf display case.

There's really no dedicated section for scale models in this forum, as it deals with collectibles. My go-to sites are Hyperscale, HobbyTalk, Aircraft Resource Center, AgapeModels, RPF and several others.

I won't be adding the oils stains until the weekend so let me know if you think the oil looks ok, it's hard to see how it will look on my bit of test plastic but I think it will be fine on the diorama

Pete

I had to go back and look at pics of the real set, in regards to the oil stains. While they are indeed there, I think it would be best if done lighter, if possible. It could become distracting if too heavy. Just my humble opinion.

View attachment 355882

Very impressive build BTW, but I'm intrigued with the background.
Looks extremely "steampunkish" (think that's a real word) to me and tbh very very cool

Jas

Panels are all in

And I've done some testing for the grease stains that runs down the front of the step

It's nothing fancy just Tamiya smoke mixed with a dot of semigloss black to give a wet look

Awesome as usual buddy, but I agree with Peter, looks a bit heavy to me too mate. Think they just needs some sticky streaks rather than thick skid marks :rotfl

I'm at my bench right now and will do another quick test with just tamiya smoke and also another with pigments, I'll whack some pics up later and see what you think.

Pete

This is pigment on the left and smoke straight out of the jar on the right it looks too light to me

This is my reference pic

And I still think that this looks more like it. Lines are too thick but it was just a test for colour and texture

Had two brill undisturbed days in the J-Cave this weekend, with no call-outs from work and made some great progress.
My new blinds got delivered so had to install them first

Got the last of the frame parts machined & cleaned

I find it gives a better effect if I make the panels separate & then glue them back together to create a distinct "V" separation line, quite a bit more work but I don't mind as it gives a far better finished look once Pete works his magic

And this is my workspace at the minute, busy as always :yess: just need to machine the last few side panel details and spend a few hours sanding & cleaning the edges then for the big glue up

Was hoping to get these over to Pete's before I take a trip over the pond to the U.S but don't think I'll quite manage it.

More updates very soon :wave

Jas

Pete, the heavier lines are probably more film accurate but I for one prefer the lighter applied pigment.

It just blends in better and doesn't appear heavy-handed. It looks great with the rest of your airbrushing work.

As I'm sure you are aware, when it comes to weathering, just when you think you need a little bit more, "that's" when you should stop.

Jas, it looks too cool seeing all of those parts in one photo!

Pete, the heavier lines are probably more film accurate but I for one prefer the lighter applied pigment.

It just blends in better and doesn't appear heavy-handed. It looks great with the rest of your airbrushing work.

As I'm sure you are aware, when it comes to weathering, just when you think you need a little bit more, "that's" when you should stop.

Jas, it looks too cool seeing all of those parts in one photo!

You are absolutely right wih your comment regarding weathering my friend. I will do the effect on one of the bridges in the morning and post the pics, the beauty of the pigment is that it can easily be removed without leaving a trace. Paint on the other hand is a bit more permanent and would require a strip and repaint of the whole metal area of the step.

Although it's not screen accurate personally I think they are fine as they are and don't need anything else ( hence my apprehension and hesitation ) but let's see how it looks with some pigment on

Pete

Back