1/6 Hot Toys - MMS632 - Spider-Man: No Way Home - Doc Ock Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will redo this surely. Gonna be an avalanche of complaints across their social media.

Fans had the same reaction to the hot toys Avengers Endgame Iron Man Mark LXXXV Battle Damaged figure that was on display at a convention a while ago, but hot toys did an awesome job of the production piece, so hopefully they'll do the same for Doc Ock before he's released.......:pray:

The face doesn't look bad in actual "real" photos. Whoever did those promo photos didn't do it justice...

I think this looks great. You guys are crazy.

273407899_1464005577347554_5739692816222694908_n.jpg

But for you complainers, there is still hope:

View attachment 561024
Its not that, I just don't want to own a figure that looks like my dentist.

Wow, I’m willing to admit when I was wrong - they really did do the red arms as a deluxe, albeit in the opposite way that people predicted (expecting you’d have to pony up for the deluxe to get the non-red arms). Not a soul is paying extra for the deluxe. What a pointless, worthless bonus.

[...]

Even though in the film he was nullified with the nanotech, I still think the red on the tentacles looked cool, so I'm probably going to go for the deluxe.

JC Hong has already said its not the final sculpt so they're already working on it thankfully.

That's reassuring - I wonder if the sculpt on this proto is a 'work in progress' sculpt in place of the eventual intended production piece. Perhaps they hurriedly showed this one off to let collectors know it is indeed going to be released.

So was Hot Toy's goal to recreate the head sculpt from the Toys Era version? Cause if so they certainly did a fantastic job! But if they were trying to go for Alfred Molina then they did a terrible job.

Can't find a single positive comment on their Insta regarding that horrid attempt of Molina. Hopefully they read the feedback and improve upon it.

So....that's probably one of the worst sculpts I've seen them do. :lol

I'm honestly lost for words at how bad this sculpt is. It almost makes me want to not get this figure. Jesus wtf Hot Toys?

xa92haq.jpg
He's say: "HeLLo PeDrO!" - Counterfeit Ock

Even JC Hong knows it's so bad that he's trying to placate people with his latest Insta post by saying this isn't the final headsculpt! :slap

Tentacles look better on the diorama bade for Spidey than the figure?? Is this prototype just a rush job or something?

D86CEEB9-5D7F-4DEC-B3A8-C0CD9E0240B5.jpeg

So the blurred out photo of the Dafoe head sculpt looked bad already...I think this pretty much confirms the prototype for it is hot garbage as well.

dies-of-cringe-norman-osborn.gif

First things first, the price. Considering how TW priced their Goblin, and now this one, ordering an Ock from my local place would come to 330-350€, taxes and all. Which is a fair enough price, I was expecting closer to 400 with the arms and everything. So on that front I'm more or less okay.

With that out of the way, we move onto the rest. From the neck and down it's pretty good. I can't really point any specific flaws. I guess the tentacles being plastic instead of diecast makes it less "high end", but they'd have driven up the price a lot. The head... yeah. It's bad. It looks better in the showcase pics, but the hair, the stupid grin, it's all just bad. Really bad. So bad it makes me fear that HT's slipping with all of the MCU/SW stuff they have on their plate. I don't know, they put up someone like Fennec and she looks great, meanwhile Ock looks like a 3rd-Party sculpt and the Dafoe tease didn't look much better either. I think at this point it's a matter of whether their heart's in it or not. If they like a character, they'll knock it out of the park. If not, you're ******.

Another thing to note is how blatantly different this version is from the SM2 look. It was evident from the moment he was revealed, don't get me wrong, as entire articles of clothing were changed, but the figure just drives it home much more. I look at it and, likeness aside, I see a realistic version of Doc Ock, but I don't see Ock from SM2. This is purely NWH Ock, and that's what he'd be in any collection. If you like the character in general this isn't a problem, since the turtleneck and greener shades scream "Doc Ock", but from a nostalgia standpoint it's not giving me the 'memberies. From a comicfan's standpoint I see a "cinematic Ock", certainly, and if I was still a big Spider-Fan I'd get it to round up my Spider-Villains, but as I've outgrown those characters and was only tempted by nostalgia... Tsk.

All that said... I'm kind of glad it's so mediocre? 350€ sounds like a "small" amount, especially if I break it to ~15€/month over a 16-month period like all the rest. But those amounts build up. It's a packed year. We've got Kenobi, Moon Knight, Battinson, Strange Cameo Madness, Black Panther 2, Black Adam and more, plus random one-offs. All featuring characters I ultimately like more than Ock. And while those POs keep coming, by the time you've paid one figure off in 1.5 years, you've POed another 15 with this model, and so on and so forth. 2023 is just as packed you know. Eventually the monthly amount goes from "eh, come on, it's basically a night out/x number of lunches" to 2 figures/car payment/mortgage per month. And that's not even talking about the space. It's too much and if you're not careful you can be swept away.

I'm just at that point where if something isn't an immediate and sure want, I find it easier and easier to let go. With Goblin I was debating it for a week or something, before finally passing on it, and that looked far more plasticy than Ock. But this time around I just looked at it and went "nope". I don't know, I feel that the more I get, the less special they become. I want each figure to be worthy of its place, and if I don't feel something when I look at the PO pics, then I drop it. You've got to curate your collection, not merely amass a number of them. If anything I feel guilty about dropping the same money on both favourite and completionist-only characters/figures. I feel it cheapens them. I spent more than a decade obsessed with Iron Man and I only have one figure. Can I really go around doing the same for characters I don't care for even half as much?

TL;DR If I were still a Spider-Fan I'd probably get it because even if the HS isn't great, it still looks like a solid representation of Ock, and it's not as expensive as I'd thought. But as nostalgia-bait, it's far too different. It's not transporting me back to the early 00s so it's a failure as far as I'm concerned!

0de89445e65771cc227852b89442df2e.gif

Joking aside, I'd honestly get it if I just wanted a good Ock representation on my shelf. A generic, AU kind of Ock to flank my Spider-Man. Beyond that though... Yeah, no.

PS: Is it just me or do both this and the teased Dafoe sculpt look of a lower quality? Too plasticy, too smooth, without the final realistic skin layer of sorts.

Back