1/6 - Hot Toys: MMS481 - Avengers: Infinity War - Captain America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got Infinity War cap!
05d77250a35fa03adf6b746101cc6a42.jpg
d01c301e14705d869b26308319afac95.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

That looks cool. Yeah the sculpt did turn out very well imo. Once you have it in hand it really shines

Hope so. Gmoney will sneer at me, am sure.:monkey3

Sourced the IW vest and some other stuff for a 'bash - and pickin' over the differences between the CW uniform and IW - there's differences.

And IMO after looking over the sourced vest anyway - construction-wise - as 1/6 goes, it's a pretty complicated piece. Padding, multiple parts. Yeah, it's some kinda coated cloth - but then thinking about it in production - there's the bulky seam problem. E.g. at 1/6 with the HOLES, cut holes in thin cloth to show the scale maille and it will look like *&^%:horror. But if you use a heavier cloth, the seams bulk. Hadn't thought of THAT problem.:banghead

I was just gonna pull the parts I needed for a 'bash. But the coated cloth vest in hand - it was stitched well. Not "peely" pleather; something tough almost like coated canvas. E-bay pics made it look cheap(er). I wouldn't call it "crispy" either. Also HT literally matched the angle the maille scales go to the screen costume.

So thought about it a while - just how much work did I wanna do and get a *&^ result - when any decent 1/6 company would have had to deal w. same issues re material and seams. IF I spent hours, days, money, could probably get the IW Cap in my head. Don't mind futzing and working, but it looks like HT did a reasonable job w. the costume anyway, for the money. It's not like a thin cheap peely shower curtain feel like I thought. (I'll try to edit this later w. some pics).

Maybe HT could have been more screen accurate:dunno. But I see the problems they ran into, 'coz of those HOLES and the maille. (Really wasn't looking forward to wrecking:( a CW Cap $$$$ to get the look I was after $$$$. And the padding at the bottom of the CW sternum has a different shape than IW....)

ANYWAY threw some points at him and Sideshow ex is on PO. 'Coz of thinkin' about the balance of shelf display vs. costs of what really was turning into a custom project. (Which is worthwhile for sure, but if I'm gonna do a real custom it'll be tackling the Bucky TWS jacket problem first.:horror)

Already have a spare Cap sculpt so don't care about the head that much now. Just curious. Maybe it will be OK in hand. Whole thing for me was kinda messy:cuckoo: but no way to know. I hate shipping stuff back:(. HT has messed up before. But with some points - tho Cap is kinda pricey - can't see, except for the sculpt maybe - that he'd be worse than any other release.

Did I learn anything? Take my foot of the gas, I guess:dunno. Wish I had a comic store that sold HT so I could see in hand.:dunno Now - maybe this Cap could've been better. I don't like BW not being able to take harness off either. Don't like Hela not having a decent zipper (no zipper tab).
But at least my collection won't have a big fat hole next to Bucky. And the End Game trailer freaked me out - I need Cap's whole arc!!!!:panic:

And early reviews for Shuri and Bucky better be off the charts on all points 'coz I can't handle the collecting stress.:chug:cool:

Yeah, I've been looking forward to his reaction - I need a good chuckle today. He's either very busy right now or showing an uncharacteristic level of self control. :lol

Tick, tick, tick....

Haha, nah my angst towards IW Cap has passed. I've already accepted it for what it is and I know he will sadly never be in my collection, so no point in dwelling on it.

Just looking forward to see if HT steps up the quality/likeness for Thanos and Buckster or if they botch it like they did with the Chadwick sculpt. :pray:

Haha, nah my angst towards IW Cap has passed. I've already accepted it for what it is and I know he will sadly never be in my collection, so no point in dwelling on it.

Just looking forward to see if HT steps up the quality/likeness for Thanos and Buckster or if they botch it like they did with the Chadwick sculpt. :pray:

Well, don't get up in arms, but my angst over the Chadwick sculpt is waning. I just watched the last review posted in the BP thread and it didn't look too bad, plus it's not like I'm going to have the prototype sculpt next to it on the shelf to remind me of its faults/limitations.

Well, don't get up in arms, but my angst over the Chadwick sculpt is waning. I just watched the last review posted in the BP thread and it didn't look too bad, plus it's not like I'm going to have the prototype sculpt next to it on the shelf to remind me of its faults/limitations.

Yeah...I did watch a review where the footage made the sculpt look decent, however it is still night and day the difference in quality between the prototype and the final product. The prototype was such 4K HD quality with the paint apps and even the texture of the hair...all that became SD with the final product. Someone said the hair looks like it's the same as a Marge Simpsons toy and I can't get that image out of my head! So true!

41tpCl4NebL.jpg

Yeah...I did watch a review where the footage made the sculpt look decent, however it is still night and day the difference in quality between the prototype and the final product. The prototype was such 4K HD quality with the paint apps and even the texture of the hair...all that became SD with the final product. Someone said the hair looks like it's the same as a Marge Simpsons toy and I can't get that image out of my head! So true!

41tpCl4NebL.jpg

Great, now I'll be thinking of her too. :rotfl

I guess I'm back to my "pose him in the mask" strategy....

LOL. Was just gonna duck.:lol:monkey3

But was rollin' along, collecting parts for my 'bash. Haven't been collecting long enough but just FEELS like my older figs - ranging from TFA Cap I guess to TWS, Ultron, CW, Ragnarok - just "feels" like HT has made some cuts - here and there. Not consistent tho. IMO stuff like a paper? plastic? sheet of printed dirt is pretty laughable vs., yah know, an actual diorama stand:slap. So is BP's packing material/fire hazard light-up.

But had to figure in cost of time/materials vs. shelf appearance for a fig that isn't classic Cap anyway. Am sure like someone pointed out - HT will milk license for years. Bet I can look forward to a $500 DX Cap sometime.:horror

But I wouldn't of POd, "decent" costume or not, if I didn't have another sculpt. Don't have the IW sculpt in hand. Maybe it is OK(ish) in person from the front. But didn't want to spend the cash just to stuff Cap to the back of the shelf.

For me the real melt-down will be Bucky and HT *possibly* ruining a stellar sculpt:(. From DS to Cap to BP to me the sculpts all look "softened". Don't trust HT:thwak except for IM diecasts 'coz it's not just production paint problems lately.

Re collecting just let me get through End Game figs, and finish Cap/Chris Evans movie arc unless HT does Bucky/FalconLoki from TV series and BW movie:chug

Someone said the hair looks like it's the same as a Marge Simpsons toy and I can't get that image out of my head! So true!

:rotfl:rotfl:rotflOh gawd...that and the ear-of-corn Aquaman suit w. the lady hips. Not forgettin' my new premium IW Cap has a ziggy head seam either.:monkey3

41tpCl4NebL.jpg

anyone who says that doesn’t have a clue what they’re talking about.
And if you believe it...
this is one of the best HT has done and it’s the finest Cap sculpt to date.
The hair is incredible. And the sculpt is top notch.

And if you believe it...

Just watched a BP review vid and the hair line and details IMO do look - er, "less detailed" than I would've expected.

Re Cap at this point just gonna wait and see. But - if I hadn't had another sculpt I wouldn't have PO'd him. IMO customers shouldn't have to hope it looks better in hand. Customers should open a box and feel like they did about Hela's sculpt and paint, or Spiderman's I guess.

I think the sculpt is good

I'll wait but I DID order him, finally. Right now to me some pics are better (like yours) and some not so much. I DO think HT could've done better to begin with - they do some stellar work when they want to.

And if you believe it...

The Marge hair is about Chadwick sculpt, not Cap haha.

Well, I'll finally receive my IW Cap at the end of this week (fingers crossed) and from everything that I've seen so far, I'll probably like him more than CW Cap. The body looks much better and the suit looks like it's much better tailored too. Not so sure yet about the sculpt but most sculpts look much different on photos or videos so I'm excited to see him in-hand.

I always find it a bit funny when people complain and complain about certain figures without ever having seen it live. :dunno

The Marge hair is about Chadwick sculpt, not Cap haha.

Sorry about that, then.
It's a bizarre thing about headsculpts.
It seems like a lot of people forget it's an inch high and complain about accuracy. Or take a pic with the flash on and moan it looks like a doll. Of course it *is* a doll...
But with some shading and downlighting, the nuance of the sculpture comes out and it can look amazing.
I'd always wait till someone with a decent camera and some photography knowledge takes a pic before i judge a sculpt.
That Chadwick one does look like a bootleg, but i wouldn't rush to judge it till i see it in hand, or we see a good pic that makes it look bad.
Always remember it's small. It can't be shown on a modern computer monitor full screen and still look good. Lighting is everything.

Sorry about that, then.
It's a bizarre thing about headsculpts.
It seems like a lot of people forget it's an inch high and complain about accuracy. Or take a pic with the flash on and moan it looks like a doll. Of course it *is* a doll...
But with some shading and downlighting, the nuance of the sculpture comes out and it can look amazing.
I'd always wait till someone with a decent camera and some photography knowledge takes a pic before i judge a sculpt.
That Chadwick one does look like a bootleg, but i wouldn't rush to judge it till i see it in hand, or we see a good pic that makes it look bad.
Always remember it's small. It can't be shown on a modern computer monitor full screen and still look good. Lighting is everything.

Yeah, but I figure that's what I'm paying for. Not custom level, but production quality that HT is known for at their best. Like when I waited on CW Natasha for a while, 'coz I already had TWS Black Widow and liked the look, but finally get CW and she's stunning. Glad I have TWS, CW, Ultron Widows.

Some of the vids I see look pretty high res too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oolb92H5040

D@mn tho gotta admit BP looks great lit....:monkey3

Maybe I can slap some blacklight paint on parts of Proxima's spear and make it *glow* for the Cap scene *thinking*. :frank

I don't think anyone cares, and even less people will remember that I had my Infinity Cap stolen off my porch the day it was delivered, and I just took it for a loss because I signed for it online so they would just leave it... Well I finally got over it enough that I felt it was time to order it again because I still want it and the RPs would lessen the blow of having to pay for it twice, but I couldn't order it again because it's one per person... So I explained what happened to SSC and asked them if they could make an exception for me and let me order it again... Well, they're sending me one for free... I'm absolutely floored. I never expected this.

I don't think anyone cares, and even less people will remember that I had my Infinity Cap stolen off my porch the day it was delivered, and I just took it for a loss because I signed for it online so they would just leave it... Well I finally got over it enough that I felt it was time to order it again because I still want it and the RPs would lessen the blow of having to pay for it twice, but I couldn't order it again because it's one per person... So I explained what happened to SSC and asked them if they could make an exception for me and let me order it again... Well, they're sending me one for free... I'm absolutely floored. I never expected this.
That's bad ass! Really happy for you. Get the sign up for ups or who ever delivers your packages and when a package ships you can have it left at a drop off point. I've started doing this when I'm not off work and works out great.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back