1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)

IMG3364.jpg

Last edited:
Reading the last few pages of this thread got me thinking about making a head piece with actual hair to replace the sculpted hair. This is what I've ended up with. I'm not thrilled with it, but at least it satisfied my curiosity to see how the Hot Toys sculpt would look with different hair.

IMG_20170818_121207_869.jpg

Reading the last few pages of this thread got me thinking about making a head piece with actual hair to replace the sculpted hair. This is what I've ended up with. I'm not thrilled with it, but at least it satisfied my curiosity to see how the Hot Toys sculpt would look with different hair.

View attachment 360568

That looks terrific! Really a great improvement ... Please show us how you did it ...

View attachment 360568

No offence. You've made a commendable effort there. But it looks like Tom Cruise after he's been on some weird cross dressing drinking session. 😜

That's an admirable effort there ajp4mgs! I think it looks pretty good.
Maybe take a better pic of it in better lighting will help bring out the hidden Mark Hamil in the sculpt.

I couldn't take not having the main character in his main costume in the first SW movie, so I bought one on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Looks great and has an amazing assortment of accessories! I wish more ~$200 HT figures were packed out like this one.

That's an admirable effort there ajp4mgs! I think it looks pretty good.
Maybe take a better pic of it in better lighting will help bring out the hidden Mark Hamil in the sculpt.

I couldn't take not having the main character in his main costume in the first SW movie, so I bought one on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Looks great and has an amazing assortment of accessories! I wish more ~$200 HT figures were packed out like this one.

Thank you (and thanks to everyone else who took the time to leave comments/suggestions/criticism). Congrats on getting the ANH Luke; I agree with your assessment of the figure/accessories.

As for the photography/lighting, I don't think it helps convey the likeness any better, but I took a couple of new pics under different lighting conditions anyway. One thing I did change slightly is the bangs (thank you to davejames for making that point). I wasn't feeling brave enough to try adding more hair, so I just rearranged what was already there in the hopes of getting closer to looking like it.

My goal with the actual hair versus sculpted hair is to make the figure seem more "alive." The sacrifice is that screen accuracy suffers since I'm far from a pro at this. Luke's hair looking different from one scene to another doesn't help either.

And to answer the question from One-Figure-Collector, I made this by removing the original hair piece and sculpting a new one onto the head to look like a bald Hamill/Luke. When it looked right, I removed the new clay piece and baked it. From there it was gluing hair I cut from a 1/6 scale wig onto the new bald piece. I go around the perimeter from bottom to top. It ends up looking like a Luke who stuck his finger in a light socket. So, then it's using water, gel, and scissors to tame and style it as best as I can. That's it. If I do the same for the ANH Han figure, I'll take pics of the process in case the question comes up again.

IMG_20170819_104400_214.jpg

IMG_20170819_105701_713.jpg

That is a commendable effort indeed. I personally just think sculpted hair benefits this figure better, as it usually does on most figures.

I understand what you're saying about making the figure seem more "alive" by using rooted hair. "Real hair" equals "more realistic", basically. However, I think many times for male figures, sculpted hair is able to better capture finer details in hair at 1/6 scale that rooted hair is unable to do. Not to mention that you have to spend a great amount of time futzing and styling the hair to get it to look accurate, whereas sculpted hair already generally makes it look accurate.

When a character has longer hair, such as Thor for instance, it can go either way. I've seen some really good Thor rooted hair sculpts, and some not so good ones.

I also think rooted hair can sometimes actually have the opposite intended effect and actually end up making a figure look too doll like as opposed to more "real".

Thank you (and thanks to everyone else who took the time to leave comments/suggestions/criticism). Congrats on getting the ANH Luke; I agree with your assessment of the figure/accessories.

As for the photography/lighting, I don't think it helps convey the likeness any better, but I took a couple of new pics under different lighting conditions anyway. One thing I did change slightly is the bangs (thank you to davejames for making that point). I wasn't feeling brave enough to try adding more hair, so I just rearranged what was already there in the hopes of getting closer to looking like it.

My goal with the actual hair versus sculpted hair is to make the figure seem more "alive." The sacrifice is that screen accuracy suffers since I'm far from a pro at this. Luke's hair looking different from one scene to another doesn't help either.

And to answer the question from One-Figure-Collector, I made this by removing the original hair piece and sculpting a new one onto the head to look like a bald Hamill/Luke. When it looked right, I removed the new clay piece and baked it. From there it was gluing hair I cut from a 1/6 scale wig onto the new bald piece. I go around the perimeter from bottom to top. It ends up looking like a Luke who stuck his finger in a light socket. So, then it's using water, gel, and scissors to tame and style it as best as I can. That's it. If I do the same for the ANH Han figure, I'll take pics of the process in case the question comes up again.

View attachment 360786

View attachment 360787

That´s so cool! Thank you ...

Yeah, the curls/flips are a problem for me with the hair. I'm gonna keep trying to figure out how to better replicate those.

The pic you posted is a good illustration of why I would prefer to replace the Hot Toys sculpted hair, though: his hair kinda goes all over the place in most scenes (not all, of course). It rarely looks "uniform" and tightly packed together. Here's a compilation of what I'm trying to describe from different scenes. The celebration scene at the end of the movie is the one time I think Luke's hair has the "uniform" look. In the other scenes, the hair fluctuates and seems more unsettled (to varying degrees). The actual hair at least gives me a chance to keep tweaking it, so that's what I'll do (probably endlessly). :lol I don't think there's a perfect solution, so it's just a matter of personal preference.

Luke2.jpg

Still ....it's just a bad sculpt....

Tom Cruise Nose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solid base colour, dark wash, then highlights. I don't remember the specific colours used, but i can try to find them... but base sand colour, dark brown wash, golden ish highlights!!

Calling JNIX: revisiting the ANH Luke sculpt?!?!?!????

Revisit as in start over from scratch. That thing is pretty bad. I have the Han and its amazing but I passed on Luke. Obi Wan needed better paint which cost more that I was willing to put into it.

Back