1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dream come true...?

12227117_1039142522814404_3599765504977984550_n.jpg

Aren't collectors lucky where HT lagged on Threepio and R-2, SSC picked up the idea :lol

Love those pics Feroze...This version of Luke is the most iconic for me so I can't wait to get him. Can I ask where you got the Death Star walls?

Last edited:
I don't think those details were that important to them at the time and they didn't think anyone was going to examine it that closely. After all they used a very recognizable old graflex 3 cell with only minor tweaks and grips added for the lightsaber and in ANH the switch on the side would sometimes be on one side and other times on the other. I think when ESB came around they put a bit more effort into all their props. They probably put the rivets in for practical reasons to hold the grips down better (Luke was using it a lot more in that film). They may have added the nob to the bottom where the "eye" was to make it look a bit different from the graflex tube, or they just thought it looked better. And using the circuitry strip for the "switch" instead of the bubble strip from the calculator was probably just because they liked it better too. And they added the textured reflective tape over the clamp in ESB to cover the word "graflex" printed on it. So, I think they just thought it looked better in the same way the tweaked lots of props.

It's never said by Lucas because I don't think it's an intentional story element but in the context of story I just viewed it as normal maintenance or upgrade that lightsabers needed over time.

Gonna have to disagree... if they studied the hilt enough to get the ESB specific details there is not reason they would not also take the time to add the bubble strip and not add the additional details of the notched grips. I don't know what motivated the decision, but fans (like myself) do notice subtle differences. That's why Master Replicas had no problem selling different versions of the light sabers.

And if Sideshow was able to replicate the differences on figures that ranged in cost from $50 to $70 and are 10 years old there is absolutely not reason HT should not have done the same.

It's not a deal breaker by any means, but I'm pretty disappointed as it could have easily been corrected.

Majority of PT duels = all flash, no depth

Agreed... the final duel between Kenobi and Anakin is so over the top and ridiculous that it becomes tedious :lol

I have a question for my fellow collectors. How do you display all the extras that come with your figures? This Luke in particular comes to mind. Its a sin that I just leave lots of stuff in boxes, to display later on and never do. I've seen some folks use clear stands for the extra head sculpts etc. Where does one find these?

Gonna have to disagree... if they studied the hilt enough to get the ESB specific details there is not reason they would not also take the time to add the bubble strip and not add the additional details of the notched grips. I don't know what motivated the decision, but fans (like myself) do notice subtle differences. That's why Master Replicas had no problem selling different versions of the light sabers.

And if Sideshow was able to replicate the differences on figures that ranged in cost from $50 to $70 and are 10 years old there is absolutely not reason HT should not have done the same.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me about. I don't think you read what I said closely enough or perhaps you are confused about the context. I wasn't talking about Hot Toys decision not to care enough to make sure the saber accessory was ANH accurate. I agree, fans do notice that. I noticed it and was greatly disappointed. I was answering the question as to why the changes were made to the actual prop in the movies; why the ANH version looks slightly different from the ESB version to begin with. I was talking about the decision the filmmakers made, not the toy company. I agree that Hot Toys should have gotten it right.

It's not a deal breaker by any means, but I'm pretty disappointed as it could have easily been corrected.

I feel the same.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me about. I don't think you read what I said closely enough or perhaps you are confused about the context. I wasn't talking about Hot Toys decision not to care enough to make sure the saber accessory was ANH accurate. I agree, fans do notice that. I noticed it and was greatly disappointed. I was answering the question as to why the changes were made to the actual prop in the movies; why the ANH version looks slightly different from the ESB version to begin with. I was talking about the decision the filmmakers made, not the toy company. I agree that Hot Toys should have gotten it right.

I feel the same.

Sorry man, I thought you were referring to Hot Toys studying the hilts... not the prop makers. Your post makes much more sense now.

I'll just be over here in the corner :lol

I'll just be over here in the corner :lol
no worries man. Hot Toys should be the ones in the corner for not getting the lightsaber right. I think it's most disappointing because it shouldn't have been hard to get right and its actually unlike them to get that kind of detail wrong.

Back