1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
obi wan is an AMAZING sculpt. factory paint killed another one. I repainted mine and it's fabulous! haven't seen a repaint of the Luke, but the sculpt is solid. Trevor grove gold!! both of them!!

I agree the Obi sculpt is good the SS paint does murder it. I am not a fan of the Luke sculpt, the hair is too big and soft on detail and the face is too wide, to me. The SS sculpt does get specific features of him right, but as others have stated he like ford is a tough nut to crack for likeness. It also appears out of proportion to the smaller body, looks like a bigger scaled head. Again as stated by many others, its subjective.

Great shots, guys. John, can't help but feel like Luke is showing R2 some kind of rash he's got going on in his groin region in that last shot. "Hey, R2 shine your spotlight over here, should I get this thing checked out?"
"I think I strained something when I was using the Force..."

obi wan is an AMAZING sculpt. factory paint killed another one. I repainted mine and it's fabulous! haven't seen a repaint of the Luke, but the sculpt is solid. Trevor grove gold!! both of them!!

Precisely. Better facial features, hair and general likeness, even if it's somewhat caricature-like by today's standards. I have no idea who repainted my Obi-Wan as I bought it used, but it's great as well.

And to people bringing up price.. It doesn't matter if it's $1 or $1000 for paint - that doesn't change the quality of the sculpt. But in addition to paint, you'd also need to remove the neck on the Sideshow sculpt and hollow it out to fit the HT body. :)

Last edited:
MN5cEg.jpg

opt9Om.jpg

Last edited:
Have ordered the exclusive version via flex pay, has not been delivered yet but thinking about partying ways with it even though I like the figure as I have missed out on a few ANH figures. Not willing to pay the ridiculous eBay prices hence will not go down the ANH road for now. In case you are interested PM me otherwise I will just cancel the item and whoever is next in line on the waitlist will get lucky ;)

ANH Luke is super iconic, but this release while somewhat impressive when you see all the parts distributed in a box, is a pretty low-end affair for Hot Toys. I'll concur with Para that the soft-goods are super weak-sauce and honestly, the sculpted stuff isn't much better. The long rifle for instance is laughable.

You want to know how badly HT wanted to save pennies on this one? Sculpted belt parts and re-use of the ESB/Bespin saber hilt is all you need to know.

More sculpted belt parts? :( Come on, Hot Toys. I don't like the sound of the shirt either. I hate when fabric is overly think/rough and will not lay naturally no matter what you do. I know I've went on about this before but I really think HT should have went with actual fabric for the leg wrappings. Hot Toys is supposed to be the premiere 1/6 company but some of their decisions are odd and below what I would expect from this price point. Like I think they should do away with molded shoe and boots at this point. It's time to move to what DiD and other companies have been doing for years i.e. using real laces, straps, materials etc. for footwear. They've done it before with Joker 2.0 and Indy with great results. But honestly when it comes to a lot of things like tailoring, accessories, packaging there are other companies that are HT's equal if not better. I think sometimes this unrivaled status Hot Toys gets comes from people who have bought only Hot Toys.

More sculpted belt parts? :( Come on, Hot Toys. I don't like the sound of the shirt either. I hate when fabric is overly think/rough and will not lay naturally no matter what you do. I know I've went on about this before but I really think HT should have went with actual fabric for the leg wrappings. Hot Toys is supposed to be the premiere 1/6 company but some of their decisions are odd and below what I would expect from this price point. Like I think they should do away with molded shoe and boots at this point. It's time to move to what DiD and other companies have been doing for years i.e. using real laces, straps, materials etc. for footwear. They've done it before with Joker 2.0 and Indy with great results. But honestly when it comes to a lot of things like tailoring, accessories, packaging there are other companies that are HT's equal if not better. I think sometimes this unrivaled status Hot Toys gets comes from people who have bought only Hot Toys.

Great post, very thought provoking. Real laces and fabrics for footwear etc would much improve the figures, making something that is fabric out of plastic always brings a figure down and makes it 'toyish'. And while I love my HT Star Wars figures it's good to see HT get hauled over the coals a bit.

With the right lighting, this sculpt/paint works for me. I think they just needed to define the area around the mouth - it's more pronounced on MH. Maybe the eyes a little less recessed. The hair works with this light as well - looks like highlighted dirty blonde.

luke-with-t-16-closeup-small.jpg

1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible F...

Awesome shot, Comatoast. Took some portraits of Luke over the weekend under different lighting conditions. The paint work is really impressive on these figures.

d3b29732c6be4638c3c1fdbdf70c2113.jpg

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible F...

Awesome shot, Comatoast. Took some portraits of Luke over the weekend under different lighting conditions. The paint work is really impressive on these figures.

Thanks, man! You too! Is that natural light? A light box? You can see in the front facing shot how they did pronounce the mouth muscles a bit, but I don't think they went far enough.

That one is natural light. Figure is on a detolf shelf, white wall behind it. Window is probably 10 feet from the shelf and doesn't get much light so that's 5 seconds--was messing around with a tripod I grabbed from work. I was trying different lighting settings on the camera though too, so it may have been set to fluorescent giving it a blue cast, which I then tried to undo a bit.

I think a few things happened on proto to production on this one, as far as I can tell. Somehow the cheeks got a little bit fuller around the mouth and I wanna say the nose looks a little bit wider, though I'm less sure of that. The other thing that seems different is the way the hair sits on the head. As has been stated numerous times, seems to be a bit more egg-headed than the prototype so maybe the work for the magnet and swappable hair changed that angle. That's partly why I cropped the hair off where I did.

Was referencing this close up of the prototype when taking the shots over the weekend:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/assets/products/902436-luke-skywalker/lg/902436-luke-skywalker-13.jpg

Wonder if they'll do a Yavin Luke and fix the hair? Just been reading the first Star Wars TPB where Luke's wearing his Yavin outfit and I would love to have a figure of that.

Back