1/6 Hot Toys - MMS288 - Avengers: AoU - Black Widow Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, these are expensive collectibles, people have the right to shop elsewhere if they find it at a lower price, SS prices are usually higher. I only buy from SS because of the RP and I can get the figures as soon as they hit the US. Plus, there's a chance a figure might come out worse than it appears in the prototype pictures, like Stealth Caps, sure there was a lot of cancellations for that one, probably the reason for the NRD on AoU Caps.

This has to be the most self entitled generation in the history of the planet! People think they are entitled to do whatever they feel like regardless of its effect.

It still doesn't excuse the fact that cancelations eat up space and people's time at the warehouse

Sorry, but it is part of doing business in retail, not everything will come out the way people want it, there will always be unsatisfied customers, if they don't deal with cancellations, they may end up dealing with returns/refunds later.

Sorry, but it is part of doing business in retail, not everything will come out the way people want it, there will always be unsatisfied customers, if they don't deal with cancellations, they may end up dealing with returns/refunds later.

Agreed. Plus, the people in the warehouse are compensated for their time right?

Exactly. I don't see how potentially cancelling an order makes one entitled. Sideshow will have the stock one way or another it's not as though they or Hot Toys are making these figures based on how many pre-orders they get. I don't think consumers are completely innocent either and posts declaring that a person will order now and cancel later if they find a better price are equally dumb, but that doesn't represent every person that may need to cancel for other reasons.

Plus worst comes to worst, I'll just swap the headsculpts and take the bits and pieces from each figure I prefer (WS's Widow has a way better belt holster and I also prefer her Widow Bites)

And depending if the hair comes out okay (I remember the initial pictures of WS's Widow making it look like copper wiring coming out of her head, and it looks a lot better in person, so we'll see.

Exactly. I don't see how potentially cancelling an order makes one entitled. Sideshow will have the stock one way or another it's not as though they or Hot Toys are making these figures based on how many pre-orders they get. I don't think consumers are completely innocent either and posts declaring that a person will order now and cancel later if they find a better price are equally dumb, but that doesn't represent every person that may need to cancel for other reasons.

With the lead time on these figures how could you know that? Sure they may have a set amount they make no matter what, but they may also adjust up if PO are high. And even if that's not the case...on the retail end it almost certainly is. They place an order amount based on how many PO they get (there's a formula based on PO and time and past orders but I'm not explain that again..I did it like a month ago).

As for the excuse "it's part of retail"..that's an easy thing to say when it's not your money. If your the type of person that needs figures to be exactly like the proto then don't order till you see the final product. "That's part of collecting". It shouldn't be other people's responsability to finance your collection.

And NRDs are also "part of retail". I wish every figure carried them. It would stop a lot of the canceling for the next best thing.

As for the same old "a lot of things can happen.." In X amount of time of the PO process...sure. It's true. But go thru this forum and Facebook..I have yet to see a single one of those mythic cancelations where it's based on death or lost job. It's always the new figure is coming or I lost my interest in that one or a bunch of that stuff. And those same people that use the "a lot can happen" argument are often the same ones flaming sideshow and hot toys for figures being pushed back or not announced fast enough. So if it's not good enough for them...anyway...

Since you've never read of a death in family or a person losing their job being a reason of a cancellation, it must never happen. Just a "myth"? Interesting logic you have there dude. :cuckoo:

And depending if the hair comes out okay (I remember the initial pictures of WS's Widow making it look like copper wiring coming out of her head, and it looks a lot better in person, so we'll see.

:exactly: I think everyone needs to chill and wait for the final photos(asking a lot). What if they completely rework the head?

Since you've never read of a death in family or a person losing their job being a reason of a cancellation, it must never happen. Just a "myth"? Interesting logic you have there dude. :cuckoo:

I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen. I'm saying the excuse that it's even close to a common issue is silly. When over two years every time someone has stated they canceled it was not for those reasons (that's years worth of releases) it's not something that happens enough to count. It's not the number one, two three or tenth reason people have stated they are canceling. As I said, not once in two years have I seen it. Sure it happens. Hundreds of thousands of people die a year. My point was, in every single defense argument about why a figure may be canceled that reason(s) is used. But it happens so in frequent that it is statistically irrelevant.

I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen. I'm saying the excuse that it's even close to a common issue is silly. When over two years every time someone has stated they canceled it was not for those reasons (that's years worth of releases) it's not something that happens enough to count. It's not the number one, two three or tenth reason people have stated they are canceling. As I said, not once in two years have I seen it. Sure it happens. Hundreds of thousands of people die a year. My point was, in every single defense argument about why a figure may be canceled that reason(s) is used. But it happens so in frequent that it is statistically irrelevant.

Are you claiming that over a 2 year span you've documented the reasoning as to why every single collector on every toy forum has cancelled their order? The truth is you don't know, so just quit the bs.

:exactly: I think everyone needs to chill and wait for the final photos(asking a lot). What if they completely rework the head?

Chill?! These are our dollies! Blood will be spilled! :lol

Last edited:

:exactly:

and 'dollies'..........
not-mad-amazed.gif

I agree that much

This forum gets noticeably grim when something imperfect comes along.

I can only speak for myself and say that when you consider that these do not come along very often and often can take a year or so to finally ship, frustration at lets say a disappointing and uninspiring release is hardly 'grim'.

I have been waiting for this since the build up to and indeed after the release of the WS version. Imperfection isn't the issue; it's a matter of subjective personal taste, it's why this will still shift plenty of units, where as others (Such as myself) are not going to pay for something the simply don't like.

We're not talking a £10 action figure here, it's a lot of money to drop on something that doesn't really float your boat.

Yes, in this instance it's only a prototype, but when I look back to the WS the final version (if you will) wasn't vastly different, the issues that concerned me at the start, mainly the dead expression where still abundantly obvious in hand. I foresee the same issue with this one. I passed on spending money for the sake of it and put that money toward something else (as it happens a Poison Ivy PF statue pre-order which is absolutely stunning), with the hope that AOU BW would have a more expressive sculpt.

It's a forum, so you're naive to think there won't be an array of opinions and reactions, good, bad, ugly, indifferent - especially when it comes to collectables but lest you forgot a lot of these are because of passion and a high level of standard. So substandard, argubably rushed offerings with a somewhat higher then usual price tag are going to raise a few eye brows and start a few fires...

So long as it doesn't get personal, or silly and people post objective reasons as to their issues with the product I don't see what the problem is. Again speaking for myself, if it's something I had intended to buy I may have my say but ultimately move on and simply don't pick up the piece.

Can't decide wether to get this or just the WS version. Tons of accessories for AOU but HS is not really an upgrade. It would be very tempting to get WS BW though when it gets a big sale on spook.

Are you claiming that over a 2 year span you've documented the reasoning as to why every single collector on every toy forum has cancelled their order? The truth is you don't know, so just quit the bs.

Documented, no. But I am saying over a two year period I have been on hear nearly every day, and days I'm not I go back and read, and during that time I have not seen a single instance of someone saying they canceled because of some catastrophic incident. But I have seen dozens, probably hundreds, of people saying they canceled for the reasons I stated before.

How many of those death or job lost reasons have you seen? And how many for other reasons. I didn't claim it never happens or that it didn't happen and I didn't see it. I said, over two years, I have never seen it, but have seen TONS and of the other kind. How exactly is that BS? As i stated, it's always the first defense and reason given why NRD are bad or why things get canceled...when in reality it's not just uncommon it's rare. Rare enough that it really has no effect on the argument. Yes, I am sure it happens. But not so much that it would make any difference to sales. I'm sure there are more actual collectors that die then having a death in the family be a reason for a figure to not be afforded.

If you add up all the canceled orders how many, or what percentage, do you think are actually becuase of unforeseen circumstances? And how much is becuase of the normal, something new, or I lost interest, or it didn't sell out so now I don't want it or a hundred other things like that?

Back