1/6 Hot Toys - MMS278D09 - Avengers: AoU - Iron Man Mark 43 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have that much of a problem with the design, blame Marvel not HT. They just make them, not design them.

I'm not "blaming" anyone, White Knight. :slap

It's called making an observation.

And if you don't think Marvel designs these suits specifically with the toy market in mind then you're even more obtuse than you sound.

___

Speaking from experience having worked on IM1 and 2, how a figure translate to a toy is not a part of the design discusion and application. Since it wouldn't matter how they are designed they will usually get toys, and most retail toys (which is where the bulk of toy based marketing money comes from) often are only loosely based on movie designs it really doesn't matter anyway.

Cases in point...

6516c0acc4471e2db0f55723019c8033.jpg
9b33dc939bd3fe3019e5efdd76ee9cbb.jpg

:exactly: When i walk down a toy isle I will see a lot Iron Man toys but most of the time it has little to do with any movie. Kids don't care about screen accuracy and don't think twice about having a red and yellow car for Iron man to drive.:lol

:exactly: When i walk down a toy isle I will see a lot Iron Man toys but most of the time it has little to do with any movie. Kids don't care about screen accuracy and don't think twice about having a red and yellow car for Iron man to drive.:lol

Yep. Often it's the director and producer along with the prop/effects team and a creature designer that come up with the character design. Those people rarely if ever get money from toys. And as I stated and others showed, the design for toys is so often not accurate that it makes no difference anyway.

Speaking from experience having worked on IM1 and 2, how a figure translate to a toy is not a part of the design discusion and application. Since it wouldn't matter how they are designed they will usually get toys, and most retail toys (which is where the bulk of toy based marketing money comes from) often are only loosely based on movie designs it really doesn't matter anyway.

You worked on IM1 and 2? Cool, what did you do for them?

Speaking from experience having worked on IM1 and 2, how a figure translate to a toy is not a part of the design discusion and application.

You've missed the point. It's not about how a "figure"[sic] (actually "character") can translate into a toy, it's about studio marketers demanding lots of characters that they can turn into figures.

Of course this wasn't a consideration for IM1 -- a second tier character with an unestablished track record was an unknown quantity at that point.

By the time of IM3, Disney owned Marvel and we get the "house party protocol" and a swarm of 42 suits. If you think Disney marketing didn't pressure Shane Black to give them lots of suits to clamshell as pegwarmers, then you're naive.

And by all means, tell us where your name is on the credits for IM1 and IM2 . . .

59144612.jpg

:wink1:
____

This is driving me crazy this morning....There was a picture of Iron Man that someone posted......I think is was one of those Biography pics......He had grey bits around the helmet and chest reactor.....people were commenting that Hot Toys Mark 43 was inaccurate because it was missing those grey parts......after seeing that new lego picture.......I'm fairly certain that's Mark 45.

This is driving me crazy this morning....There was a picture of Iron Man that someone posted......I think is was one of those Biography pics......He had grey bits around the helmet and chest reactor.....people were commenting that Hot Toys Mark 43 was inaccurate because it was missing those grey parts......after seeing that new lego picture.......I'm fairly certain that's Mark 45.

Wasn't this one was it? Because if it was, it's just concept art from IM3, though it does appear that 43 and 45 took some ideas from it.
iron-man-3-early-light-weight-suit-concept-art-01.jpg

You've missed the point. It's not about how a "figure"[sic] (actually "character") can translate into a toy, it's about studio marketers demanding lots of characters that they can turn into figures.

Of course this wasn't a consideration for IM1 -- a second tier character with an unestablished track record was an unknown quantity at that point.

By the time of IM3, Disney owned Marvel and we get the "house party protocol" and a swarm of 42 suits. If you think Disney marketing didn't pressure Shane Black to give them lots of suits to clamshell as pegwarmers, then you're naive.

And by all means, tell us where your name is on the credits for IM1 and IM2 . . .

View attachment 166072

:wink1:
____

I worked at Stan Winston and legacy. Feel free to look at the credits.

As for pressure to make suits...again, I'm not the one that's niave...look at the amount of figures for both im1 and 2...there are two dozen figures and variations of iron man that where not on the movie. For toys and marketing they dont need to look like or even be in a film. There is absolutely no need for Disney to pressure for anything. The glut of suits in the film was a plot point. A pretty big one. They don't add that just to make hot toys or the few other companies that do actual film accurate products. The majority of marketing is either of the main armor, or bright colors that little kids would like.

View attachment 166123
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys, first time poster but I've lurked for awhile and have enjoyed my time here. Question for all of the experts here: I got on the wait list for the Exclusive version of this figure (and the Diecast Mark III) in the 3rd week of January. I know there are no guarantees, but how likely is it that I will convert? Do I have any chance at all?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi guys, first time poster but I've lurked for awhile and have enjoyed my time here. Question for all of the experts here: I got on the wish list for the Exclusive version of this figure (and the Diecast Mark III) in the 3rd week of January. I know there are no guarantees, but how likely is it that I will convert? Do I have any chance at all?

Thanks,

Scott

:welcome1: to the forum Scott.

That figure went to waitlist around August last year I think... I checked the thread....
You jumped on the list in January so I'd say its somewhere between almost possible and a long shot :dunno.... but your odds get better the closer we get to its release date..... plus its a pricey figure which will give you more of a chance :wink1:

Anyway, I hope I was helpful. Heres a link to the appropriate thread(https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...th-scale-mark-iii-collectible-figure-118.html) and welcome again :hi5:

whoops my bad, I thought you meant only the MKIII :lol

This went to waitlist around the 23rd December, so I'd say theres a good enough chance it will convert for you.....
Things in your favor:
High Price
Possible BD
Possible MK45

Things not in your favor
Most likely a highly sought after EXclusive
Avengers figure

Overall I think it will convert, hang in there :wink1:

:welcome1: to the forum Scott.

That figure went to waitlist around August last year I think... I checked the thread....
You jumped on the list in January so I'd say its somewhere between almost possible and a long shot :dunno.... but your odds get better the closer we get to its release date..... plus its a pricey figure which will give you more of a chance :wink1:

Anyway, I hope I was helpful. Heres a link to the appropriate thread(https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...th-scale-mark-iii-collectible-figure-118.html) and welcome again :hi5:
Thanks Brainiac. That helps to set my expectations. I guess I'll keep my name on the wait list as long as it's still possible to PO the regular version. I suppose it can't hurt.

I appreciate the quick response!

Scott

whoops my bad, I thought you meant only the MKIII :lol

This went to waitlist around the 23rd December, so I'd say theres a good enough chance it will convert for you.....
Things in your favor:
High Price
Possible BD
Possible MK45

Things not in your favor
Most likely a highly sought after EXclusive
Avengers figure

Overall I think it will convert, hang in there :wink1:
Great; thanks again!

Back