1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Pretty much exactly how I feel about TFA too. I can still sit down and thoroughly enjoy watching it.

Yep, and Finn's character didn't/doesn't bother me in the slightest. Would he have been out of place in a movie like Rogue One? Sure. But in TFA he was very entertaining. It was fun to watch a SW movie in a packed theater with the entire audience laughing throughout and having such a good time, myself and my kids included.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

I thought Phasma said something about there not being any reported problems with Finn or his training? So clearly during that first mission something snapped and his conscience was able to overtake all the conditioning and programming he was under. And with all the Stormtroopers under their command, it only makes sense there would be an occasional "defective" one like him.

Whatever the case though, I thought the character was a lot of fun and played off the others really well, whether it was Poe, Rey, or Han.

Anyone have any info about when these'll start shipping from Sideshow? Seems like it should be pretty soon.

I thought Phasma said something about there not being any reported problems with Finn or his training? So clearly during that first mission something snapped and his conscience was able to overtake all the conditioning and programming he was under. And with all the Stormtroopers under their command, it only makes sense there would be an occasional "defective" one like him.

And I can buy that, but there should have been something, anything that hinted at the life he had been raised in.

This was a man that was raised in such a harsh environment that even names were considered too strong an expression of individuality. No families, no hobbies, no life outside of your job. The entire knowledge of your existence and all that you know is simply about the mission and your part in it. Where is a single shred of that in his character?

But that's what they were going for, for whatever reason. I just don't buy that inserting a different actor automatically solves anything. Does Poe come across as edgy or badass in any way? No, because he wasn't written or directed that way. Just seems like wishful thinking.

I think Isaac is great but nothing I saw from Poe tells me that him playing Finn really would have been all that different. The only serious lines they give him are his speech at Maz's castle.

I think it honestly is just how Oscar Issac looks. Some actors just project a certain energy naturally without even having to say a line. And honestly I think he just could project "badass anti-hero with a troubled past" more easily than Boyega, who just comes off as wholesome and friendly.

Not only would it make more sense logically, but I think Issac's Finn would have had a bit of a "world-weary but desperate to hold onto idealism" vibe that would have played off nicely with Rey's more innocent optimism.

Last edited:

Anyone have any info about when these'll start shipping from Sideshow? Seems like it should be pretty soon.
Sideshow starting shipping this a couple of weeks ago. Are you in the US?

Here's another picture closer up. The shirt can be futzed to hide the joint from all but the most close or high angles. View attachment 329913

That looks so perfect.:clap

I mean with a well lit scaled background (and maybe a bit of dulling on the jacket,) that could look like a pic of the real guy. And the hair looks spot-on there.

Yep, and Finn's character didn't/doesn't bother me in the slightest. Would he have been out of place in a movie like Rogue One? Sure. But in TFA he was very entertaining. It was fun to watch a SW movie in a packed theater with the entire audience laughing throughout and having such a good time, myself and my kids included.

A solid evening of family entertainment is not without merit.:dunno

1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

That looks so perfect.:clap

I mean with a well lit scaled background (and maybe a bit of dulling on the jacket,) that could look like a pic of the real guy. And the hair looks spot-on there.

A solid evening of family entertainment is not without merit.:dunno

Agreed. Any suggestions on what to use to do the "dulling" of the jacket?

Without the fat suit on the upper portion I think TFA Han is the best out of the box figure yet that has a screen accurate sculpt, clothing and accessories all spot on.

After watching Budget Stark's video last week TOP 5 TIPS FOR COLLECTORS, I felt bad about wanting things to be more screen accurate, like how the TFA Chewie, in some cases, just doesn't look that good. He suggested that people who complain maybe should pick up another hobby, or spend more time with their families. I have always enjoyed his videos for the most part, he does a great service by showing stuff from Secret Base pretty much instantly, and he is clearly a highly intelligent person. However, discussion and differences of opinion can bring about improvement. The subtext, at least to me, seemed to be no one can say a bad word about Hot Toys, if you do, you must be a negative person. For the record: Hot Toys is an amazing company, and Howard Chan is an incredible entrepreneur. I have disagreed with people on this board before, but, in many cases, I then see their point and new creative thoughts, and, in some cases, the ability to improve a collectible happens. There are many amazing and talented customizers in Hong Kong, incredible artists who do work from re-scuplting, custom paint jobs, to custom clothes, etc (of course this board has many amazing and talent customizers from around the world) . Glad to be a part of a community where people can freely express differences of opinion, whether we agree with them and or that specific opinion or not.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."

Frank Zappa

"It's okay to disagree with the thoughts or opinions expressed by other people. That doesn't give you the right to deny any sense they might make. Nor does it give you a right to accuse someone of poorly expressing their beliefs just because you don't like what they are saying. Learn to recognize good writing when you read it, even if it means overcoming your pride and opening your mind beyond what is comfortable."

Ashly Lorenzana

The TFA Han and Chewie show the absolute best, and absolute worst (yes, in some cases, not all) of what can happen.

27569359d9b2f9965ed85ef6dd4b863e.jpg
593dc07d765c28da480161978eee25b6.jpg

Look at what an entire community did, including several artists in Hong Kong to improve the Sideshow Raiders Indy:

Before:

5b9daefa2db4041fd89099e0f6b502e7.jpg

After:

25205959365ae0df855dd15c1eb5a147.jpg

Difference of opinion is healthy and spurs creativity ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps you didn't watch the whole video.... the subtext wasn't about Hot Toys. He (in the same sentence) goes on to say if you don't like Sideshow, stop buying them, or 3 Zero, etc.... He was just talking about them as manufacturers as a whole. The subtext was that whatever you collect should make you happy.

Perhaps you didn't watch the whole video.... the subtext wasn't about Hot Toys. He (in the same sentence) goes on to say if you don't like Sideshow, stop buying them, or 3 Zero, etc.... He was just talking about them as manufacturers as a whole. The subtext was that whatever you collect should make you happy.

He's also sitting in front of something like two dozen reissues of the same HT figure. Being "happy with the product" has different thresholds for different people. FSOHK's point is that people "not being happy" is what pushes 1/6 companies to do better.

For a few years there's been this almost hypnosis surrounding HT figs - criticize at your peril (the HT fanboy thing that emerged - like a Ferrari owners club,) despite the fact that nearly all their SW stuff have had issues with the sculpts - both human and helmet. It's gorgeously finished stuff for the most part, but that Chewy FSOHK has been modding is yet another SW HT head with only so-so likeness that also happens to look like Lorax.

And don't think for a second BS is trying to equate HT and SSC (in terms of "don't buy...") - he despises SSC stuff and worships HT stuff. That was the reason for the side-by-side Snowie pic with the SSC looking its worst (when there's a ton of decent pics on here he could have used.)

Agreed.

And for the record, I like Budget Stark's videos, I also like customizing, "different thresholds for different people". Strange that as this is being discussed that the South China morning post just put up this great article, including a cool video, that directly relates to all of this:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong.../toying-fantasy-how-hong-kong-collectors-have

0a41079a160c57afc407d01fc1cf236f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting the TFA Han sculpt to good use! Work in progress...
IMG_9161.jpg

Has anyone gotten a shipping soon alert from SS on Han or the two pack yet?

I hope the two pack ships soon. I'm on the waitlist and need my to convert. I waited too long and I'm not very confident in My bigbadtoystore preorder.

I love this set....more than the original pair!

IMG_5474.jpg

I like the lighter colour Chewbacca fur...

IMG_5480.jpg

I do wish HT had totally nailed the younger ANH Han version and then gave us just a "decent" TFA Han version.

I've seen a few older HF sculpts (the Cowboys and Aliens one, and the SSC KOTCS one) that are really quite good in terms of likeness - obviously this newest TFA one is the best - but there are so few younger HF that even come close.

It may be that the wrinkles and saggier face give sculptors more to work with in crafting the likeness.

Great pose for Han. Might use that pose for mine, provided it doesn't damage the jacket at the elbow joint.

Back