1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Anyone have any reputable links for Han only? Thanks.

Theres several reputable sellers on ebay. Same price as SS.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Budget Stark mentioned his reasoning as to why the Rocket probably shouldn't get a fur treatment and I agree with him. With that size of a figure, and he has way more minute details and expressions (digital vs an actual furry suit from source material).
Hot toys is good but sometimes they can't work miracles.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. The fur on the cgi raccoon is meant to be as close to real fur as possible. I think a combination of sculpted features with real fur would have been best. Maybe the scale would get in the way that's the only excuse I can think of. He is rather small. Then again I thought a real fur chewbacca was impossible or holy grail material as well and look where we are.

I have a theory that all these in hand pics of tfa chewie are photo shopped to make it look bad to drive down demand drive up pre order cancels and free up cheap inventory for resellers to make a killing once we all realize it is a nice figure in hand.

nah mang.^

1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

I disagree. The fur on the cgi raccoon is meant to be as close to real fur as possible. I think a combination of sculpted features with real fur would have been best. Maybe the scale would get in the way that's the only excuse I can think of. He is rather small. Then again I thought a real fur chewbacca was impossible or holy grail material as well and look where we are.

I do realize the cgi is supposed to mimic real fur. But I still believe his face is way more complex...something that maybe is hard to achieve with even a real life puppet rocket or an animatronic suit and thus very difficult to translate into a sixth scale figure. I think getting the 2 head sculpts is a better option than a furred Rocket.

11b662a47cc973be7d9486dea9225312.jpg

8555bc37c2620da2895a005b1175b67f.jpg

I think you have a valid point though. It is possible. But I do not think we will ever see a furry raccoon from hot toys

I think what's disappointing about the Chewbacca is it should be a noticeable improvement over the ANH version & it isn't. It does look like an improvement in almost all areas except the likeness. So for anybody who doesn't have a Chewbacca yet & is getting TFA, prepare to be very happy with it. For those who do have Chewbacca it's hard to justify another $300. Really looking forward to old Han though.

I think what's disappointing about the Chewbacca is it should be a noticeable improvement over the ANH version & it isn't. It does look like an improvement in almost all areas except the likeness. So for anybody who doesn't have a Chewbacca yet & is getting TFA, prepare to be very happy with it. For those who do have Chewbacca it's hard to justify another $300. Really looking forward to old Han though.

Wise man talking here. I've learned one thing from HT over the years and that's not to buy the first figure of ANY really popular pop culture figure unless it's bloody perfect. I also suspect they messed up the ANH han likeness on purpose. There is zero ford in there.. that can't be a coincedence. It's the reason I haven't bought a Luke yet. I'll just wait till they nail it. With these prices I just don't have another choice. Haven't got time anymore to customize any blemishes these days and not willing to with 200$+ figures.

I do realize the cgi is supposed to mimic real fur. But I still believe his face is way more complex...something that maybe is hard to achieve with even a real life puppet rocket or an animatronic suit and thus very difficult to translate into a sixth scale figure. I think getting the 2 head sculpts is a better option than a furred Rocket.
11b662a47cc973be7d9486dea9225312.jpg

8555bc37c2620da2895a005b1175b67f.jpg

I think you have a valid point though. It is possible. But I do not think we will ever see a furry raccoon from hot toys

Like I said: maybe a combination of fur and sculpted areas. Like the spiderman figures who have sculpted gloves but a real suit for the rest. I mean the sculpted head is fine, but I really see no reason for a sculpted body on rocket. The body isn't any more intricate than chewbacca. I'd go as far as to say it's less intricate. Sculpted head + hands and fur the rest on rocket. Just match the colors properly and youre set.

Anyway it's just something that doesn't bother all collectors. I just HATE joints on figures. It's the reason I really prefer headsculpts with a sculpted neck attached instead of a joint at the jawline. It just makes it less of a real miniature version. It's why I would never want a temple of doom indiana jones even though I prefer that look in the movie. Or why my evil dead Ash hasn't gotten the ripped sleeves. It's just ugly to my eyes, people call these "action figures" but to me, they aren't toys. Not at this price range.

^ it sounds like you may just want to which over to statues.

^ it sounds like you may just want to which over to statues.

Well I kind of look at these as posable statues. Most statues don't have poses I agree with. I don't see a reason why anyone would love the look of joints on these highly accurate figures.

I agree! They're not figures! You wouldn't give them to a child to play with and break! They're ultimately display peices!

Well I kind of look at these as posable statues. Most statues don't have poses I agree with. I don't see a reason why anyone would love the look of joints on these highly accurate figures.

Yeah but personally I find it hard to get very many good poses with a stiff, sculpted neck. At least any that look very natural. Even turning it slightly to the side always looks odd to me, with the way the entire neck moves along with the head.

And the fact you can see an occasional neck joint or whatever doesn't keep these from still looking like expensive and sophisticated collectibles to me.

Well for the purpose of being posed I would go as far as to say the neck seams are a bother. Calls for some sacrifices. Even some joints can be done well

I had sworn I would not buy anything outside the OT. I had to reconsider after seeing Han (my favorite character, by far).

I hope I did not open Pandora's box...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Go for it, I would think it would be really tough to pass up the last iteration of Ford as Solo if he's your favorite character, such a damn good job they did too. I have to say that I think he might look best with the blue coat on, even though I'll probably display him most of the time in his regular jacket. The blue will look great on the shelf too since I sold off my Hoth Han.

16796912_10154236742247344_2457015524472943739_o.jpg

16835788_10154236742942344_1720365321335844027_o.jpg

Yeah if the sculpt already looks this good in photos, I can only imagine how amazing it'll look in hand.

You're cherry picking the TFA photo though, the ANH space between lip and mouth is pretty consistent. The TFA one looks all over the place, with some photos looking close, like the one above. And others looking way too large. Not just camera angles accounting for that.

I love how people use the only good photo of Chewie out of 50 to make their case.

Anyway, I'm sure some people here will manage to futz this head into something nice.

It's all 'space-filler' until the ESB Chewbacca comes out anyway for most of you.

Agreed.

Like TT mentioned, with the majority of pictures I've seen of ANH Chewie, the nose to upper lip gap have all been pretty consistent. With TFA Chewie, pictures vary, with the overwhelming majority of them looking bad.

I have a theory that all these in hand pics of tfa chewie are photo shopped to make it look bad to drive down demand drive up pre order cancels and free up cheap inventory for resellers to make a killing once we all realize it is a nice figure in hand.

honestly Chewie, even the ANH version, never looked great in photos to me, but once i got him in hand i thought he looked great.

I wont be buying the TFA version of Chewie, but definitely getting TFA Han because he's mind blowing amazing!!! Easily the best likeness of all the human Star Wars figures IMO. if he looks that good in pics, in person will be amazing!!!

I'll only get another Chewie if and when they really nail the face. In person ANH looks really good. Not 100% perfect by any means, but for their first attempt they did a nice job, especially with all that fur.

Back