1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

A big thanks to Matrix for sharing his process.

First took out the neck plug.

Then the bottom jaw and upper mouth plate.

Trimmed back the hair and repositioned the upper plate.

Lastly cut the neck plug to allow for the hinged jaw to still function.

Then I did some futzing and color work. Very pleased with the result as compared to the out of box version.

And the jaw opens with ease.

Then there's this.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Really inexcusable that they released the left version:

Chewie and his dopey cousin, Dewey.

attachment.php

Great job on the mod.

This should be posted on the HT facebook page so they could all just feel ashamed for a while.

This should be posted on the HT facebook page so they could all just feel ashamed for a while.

Yeah, while the work on here is great, it's truly abysmal that there's a need to do this to such an expensive figure.

It's as if HT learned absolutely nothing with the first Chewy.

The ANH Chewy it was kind of optional to do the fur recolor and tweaks - it could be made to look pretty decent just with a lot of futzing/combing. But this TFA Chewy just desperately needs the heavy modding - which is okay for those few who have the skills, not so okay for the many who don't.

Does anyone have any issues with Chewie's head popping off very easily? I just got mine in today and may contact Sideshow for a replacement if I'm alone in this problem.

Are you planning to pose him upside down?

Got my set today. Let's bring this thread back for a second to how FANTASTIC Han is! Amazing likeness and great all around figure.

Now as for Chewie, I decided to take a crack at modding the upper lip area issue. Surprisingly, I didn't end up having to cut away any of the sculpt. What I did was I heated up the mouth area with a hair dryer, then using a small knife tool I dug into the area where the upper lip meets the fur and peeled down the upper lip/mouth plate. Then using the knife I scraped down the fur, sorta tucking it in and flattening it out, cutting away a very small amount of fur to make sure the area was flattened out as much as possible. Finally, I reheated the mouth and pulled the upper mouth plate back up to line it up with the fur (also had to realign the bottom jaw piece). The rest is just futzing to try to make the hair look as accurate as I could.

It seems to me that the main issue with the snout is that HT put way too much fur in that area, and not necessary an issue with the sculpt itself.

Anyways I'm pretty happy with the result, especially compared to how he looked out of the box. Hope you guys like :)

33186264573_6728a305cf_b.jpg

33841495962_8de13f464d_b.jpg

33613694660_f6b62555f0_b.jpg

33155808954_efa299e879_b.jpg

That looks great!

Exactly how did you go about trimming the fur?

Did you trim it at the bottom towards his lip or some how where it attaches to his face so that it wasn't so bulky?

Thanks!

Great job Spudtrooper. It really disappoints me this needs to be done for a figure at this price point. Would you suggest this to someone who's never really messed with figures before, I'm not sure how easy/risky it is.

Great job Spudtrooper. It really disappoints me this needs to be done for a figure at this price point. Would you suggest this to someone who's never really messed with figures before, I'm not sure how easy/risky it is.

SAME, I would be too scared!

Only thing I ever modded was Medicom 1:1 Gizmo.

SAME, I would be too scared!

Only thing I ever modded was Medicom 1:1 Gizmo.

Ugh yeah. I don't think i've ever modded anything I really cared about since I always felt I'd just ****** it up. I know theres a 0.1 perecent of this happening, but I am kinda hoping in a year or two a new batch of Chewie's will be rolled out with a better muzzle. I remember Jame's one great and he never modded the area so I'm doubtful but hope something happens.

I may need to send mine out to be modded. I don't want to risk making it worse.

A big thanks to Matrix for sharing his process.

First took out the neck plug.

Then the bottom jaw and upper mouth plate.

Trimmed back the hair and repositioned the upper plate.

Lastly cut the neck plug to allow for the hinged jaw to still function.

Then I did some futzing and color work. Very pleased with the result as compared to the out of box version.

And the jaw opens with ease.

Then there's this.

This looks great! So no need to sand anything down? Just reposition? I'm going to be trying this tonight as i am just not happy with what I have received.

I didn't sand anything down on the top of top mouth plate itself. I did cut back a little on the sides to help with the jaw movement. Most of it was getting rid of the excess hair and glue build up under the top plate so it moves up closer to the nose.

Holy Christ!.... WTF happened to the likeness on these pieces.?!?!?

:rock

Amazing work on both. Look more like the same underlying Chewie now.

Beautiful Matrix. Hell I think I like the FA Chewie better than the ANH one. Both are awesome

Back