1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Amazing job Matrix. Just amazing.

You guys think theres any chance a new bunch of him will be better a year down the line. Im surprised they are even shipping them in the quality they are considering the price point.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

No i didn't use any paint or dye but i did add a few strands of the darker fur/hair(plucked from the back of the legs)to the moustache..

:duff

I'm afraid i don't have the time to take/do commissions,but this figure should have looked a lot better out of the box. For me it's easily HT worst offering yet in the SW line and should never have left the factory. They should have concentrated more on getting the likeness right instead of adding the hinged jaw which is poorly executed and barely opens....then again maybe they'll get it right with TESB solo/chewie release:)

Do you have any straight-on pics of the modded head?

"It's alright, pal. It's alright."

392EFCBC-F8C0-46A5-B78F-D2C715D91D59.jpg

1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Saw this at person today at Midtown Comics. Almost looks like they displayed him so he's hiding something (or pointing to his most glaring flaw).

SS Maul was easily the most impressive figure among TFA Chewie, Snowtrooper, both Rey figures, Phasma, RO Jedha Stormtrooper, ROTJ Boba, X-wing Luke, TIE pilot, and Finn. Admittedly not the most impressive company.

0ae1f02a29e67eee14b9ab713e56ea7c.jpg

wow, that looks so bad. At least he looks better than this:

$_58.JPG

...somewhat.

This figure is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Right out of the box.

And after about 5 minutes of futzing.

Definitely will give him some more detailing later on.

Really inexcusable that they released the left version:

Chewie and his dopey cousin, Dewey.

attachment.php

Great job on the mod.

Right out of the box.

The fur, yes it's fine. That head sculpt is the problem. It's just super confusing that HT actually released it. It's so obviously wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Amazing job Matrix. Just amazing.

You guys think theres any chance a new bunch of him will be better a year down the line. Im surprised they are even shipping them in the quality they are considering the price point.

I emailed hot toys but they just said if I had a problem I'd have to look at the retailers return policies. Which means this is pretty much what we're getting.

Matrix, why don't you pose him with the mouth open? Doesn't the mod allow for it? :)

I'm actually so depressed that I have literally just spent £500 on a figure set for one of them to look this bad! It's not even like I can sell it because the box is a twin pack.

I don't even think a simple mod can make this look ok and I'm not about to start pulling it apart like some others have.

Absolute disgrace that Hot Toys think this **** is acceptable tbh! They should offer a returns policy for this.

Right out of the box.

Nope. It's a travesty of a release.

Really inexcusable that they released the left version:

Chewie and his dopey cousin, Dewey.

attachment.php

Great job on the mod.

Lol. Dewey... good one!

I look at these pics of Chewie and then the anh one that I own. Mine looks really solid on display.
ae5f686b2e5122f8ecf6e7c503829db0.jpg
But he's behind glass and I'm never right up in his grill like all these pictures are of Dewey. So I wonder if over time this TFA Figure will also look better from a distance??

I personally won't find out as I'm ok with just having the one Chewie on my shelf. But man HT really out did themselves with this newer version. The mouth area is just strange looking. Dewey.. perfect!

"[emoji991] - @dl44blaster [emoji374] - dl44blaster"

It (Chewie) actually really is, but as long as you're happy with it, that's all that should matter from your perspective. :duff

It (Chewie) actually really is, but as long as you're happy with it, that's all that should matter from your perspective. :duff

I mean given, yeah its not a figure that you can just take it out of the box and, boom there it is, ready for display. Personally I feel not even the ANH Chewie captures that, not by a long shot (certainly a shorter shot than this new one haha). But I think it can be made to look good, as Matrix has so wonderfully shown. But I can understand that not everyone has the capability to do such work to a figure and I agree that for the price tag it shouldn't have to be, but being that I'm always working on custom figures its not a big deal to me. Just another project.

Got my set today. Let's bring this thread back for a second to how FANTASTIC Han is! Amazing likeness and great all around figure.

Now as for Chewie, I decided to take a crack at modding the upper lip area issue. Surprisingly, I didn't end up having to cut away any of the sculpt. What I did was I heated up the mouth area with a hair dryer, then using a small knife tool I dug into the area where the upper lip meets the fur and peeled down the upper lip/mouth plate. Then using the knife I scraped down the fur, sorta tucking it in and flattening it out, cutting away a very small amount of fur to make sure the area was flattened out as much as possible. Finally, I reheated the mouth and pulled the upper mouth plate back up to line it up with the fur (also had to realign the bottom jaw piece). The rest is just futzing to try to make the hair look as accurate as I could.

It seems to me that the main issue with the snout is that HT put way too much fur in that area, and not necessary an issue with the sculpt itself.

Anyways I'm pretty happy with the result, especially compared to how he looked out of the box. Hope you guys like :)

33186264573_6728a305cf_b.jpg

33841495962_8de13f464d_b.jpg

33613694660_f6b62555f0_b.jpg

33155808954_efa299e879_b.jpg

Got my set today. Let's bring this thread back for a second to how FANTASTIC Han is! Amazing likeness and great all around figure.

Now as for Chewie, I decided to take a crack at modding the upper lip area issue. Surprisingly, I didn't end up having to cut away any of the sculpt. What I did was I heated up the mouth area with a hair dryer, then using a small knife tool I dug into the area where the upper lip meets the fur and peeled down the upper lip/mouth plate. Then using the knife I scraped down the fur, sorta tucking it in and flattening it out, cutting away a very small amount of fur to make sure the area was flattened out as much as possible. Finally, I reheated the mouth and pulled the upper mouth plate back up to line it up with the fur (also had to realign the bottom jaw piece). The rest is just futzing to try to make the hair look as accurate as I could.

It seems to me that the main issue with the snout is that HT put way too much fur in that area, and not necessary an issue with the sculpt itself.

Anyways I'm pretty happy with the result, especially compared to how he looked out of the box. Hope you guys like :)

33186264573_6728a305cf_b.jpg

33841495962_8de13f464d_b.jpg

33613694660_f6b62555f0_b.jpg

33155808954_efa299e879_b.jpg

Fantastic. So does Han have gold or grey hair in hand..It's driving me crazy the hair keeps looking gold in pics :slap

Fantastic. So does Han have gold or grey hair in hand..It's driving me crazy the hair keeps looking gold in pics :slap

I'd say it's a goldish-gray haha. It looks a bit grayer in person than in my pics, but it has a very light brownish hue to it.

Back