1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread needs more pictures!

Ooh I got 1 haha just took the base out & really takes this figure to a next level. 898800F4-A3A9-4C94-824D-5FD287960B0C.jpg

This thread needs more pictures!

Did nothing with the figure since the first futz outta-the-box. Today I'm stripping it down and taking some time with ESB on repeat. Nothing dramatic -- not my style -- but let's see what kind of subtleties I can find.

I’m mostly interested in figuring out the articulation and making everything sit and hang better, but first thing I’ve done is detach the battery box from the waistband on the codpiece.

It makes futzing a pain, so maybe having it free floating or maybe tucked into the small of the back will work better.

6f4a6d8a629220dee71d5022bd49c814.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got this and ESB Fett on the weekend. I have Vader set up in the deltof--simply amazing figure in hand and like others have said the base complements the overall look--sure this figure has a few nits--but I am not too OCD about my figures...(I will use the extra gloved hands for my IV Vader.) For those on the fence the wait for the ROTJ will be a long one...just saying :impatient:

There’s quite a bit of movement in the ankles

Is there a full range of motion? My pegs seemed to only want to go back and forth -- side to side had no give and I was afraid to break it. Maybe I need to revisit and use some heat?

Also, I moved the battery pack on mine to the middle so at least the bulge in back is centered. But I agree leaving it hanging behind him might be the best place for it so it doesn't interfere with the tunic drape.

Is there a full range of motion? My pegs seemed to only want to go back and forth -- side to side had no give and I was afraid to break it. Maybe I need to revisit and use some heat?

Also, I moved the battery pack on mine to the middle so at least the bulge in back is centered. But I agree leaving it hanging behind him might be the best place for it so it doesn't interfere with the tunic drape.

Had the same feel with the ankles, but very gentle movement got them working. Full side-to-side pivot but be careful. I have the box just hanging and that seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does look great, Rudimus. The purple makes it pop like an old Topps card.

Thanks Wor-Gar! Before this forum I’d have the VC Vaders from all the movies & couldn’t tell the differences between them, now I’m looking at the alignment of tusks lol

So 10 days makes it Sept 20th. Then a day to sort. Another 4-10 days to ship to you (depending where you are -- used to be 7-10 for me)... so most everyone is looking at end of month at best.

Too dark for decent photos now, but I finished the epic futzing. I manipulated the components of the suit and the inner robe, messed with the articulation which is mostly obscured by padding, armour and the suit.

There's a degree of asymmetry I was looking for, and while I had him in neutral for days, I've gone back to the pointing finger. It's a subtle but menacing gesture that reminds me of Empire Vader more than anything.

I'm still very happy with the figure. It strikes me that Vader is difficult to get looking right in figure form, because his costume and character are so dependent on atmospheric lighting, dramatic movement and subtle gestures.

If I have one gripe at this point, other minor flaws aside, it's that the cape and tabard are maybe a hair too long. They were different lengths in the film, noticeably shorter when he enters Echo Base and during the Bespin duel, likely for practical filming reasons. In other shots the hem trails the floor but not quite as much as the Hot Toys figure.

Easy enough fix if you want to use longer ankle pegs or something, but I like his height where it is, so I'll live with the extra material, unless someone like Jaxon comes up with something amazing.

If I have one gripe at this point, other minor flaws aside, it's that the cape and tabard are maybe a hair too long.

Can't wait for pictures, but I agree -- I hate that the cape once again bunches on the floor. Drives me nuts.

I'm thinking, since HT didn't hem the cape and silk lining together thankfully, I may just trim the excess material off the cape myself. Need very sharp scissors and a very steady hand, but that's the fix I see in my future -- I doubt you'd even notice if my cutline isn't machine-like perfect since its lost in all those folds.

I re-hemmed the RO cape shorter to get it off the floor and that turned out nice.

Back