1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 222/223: Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013): Captain Harlock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - 1/6 Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013 CGI film)

Damn I thought the next HT figure being revealed today would be Harlock, but instead its another Johnny Depp. Oh well.

When they release the "coming soon" announcement, I knew they would not do it this week. Otherwise, they would just flat out announce him, right? It will be at least a few weeks after the teaser until they will finally announce Harlock first. (Think about the gap between the teaser announcement and actual announcement for each Avenger figure) Then, they will probably announce Kei in October.

When they release the "coming soon" announcement, I knew they would not do it this week. Otherwise, they would just flat out announce him, right? It will be at least a few weeks after the teaser until they will finally announce Harlock first. (Think about the gap between the teaser announcement and actual announcement for each Avenger figure) Then, they will probably announce Kei in October.

I just figured HT would have announced Harlock to go with the movie premiere this week and since they obtained the license a few years ago you would think they would have something ready to go. But hey its HT and they'll do what they want. Anyway what's a little more waiting? I hope HT blows us all away!

Early reviews are in:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/harlock-space-pirate-venice-review-622484
https://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/space-pirate-captain-harlock-review-venice-1200601251/

Concensus of those 2 review:
Visually truly stunning, a very nice update from the original 70's material to bring it into the 21st century. Plot maybe too convoluted, making it hard to follow. A lot of technobabble and the story travels at break neck speed, but slows to a crawl near the end. Should satisfy die-hard anime fans, but may have trouble breaking into mainstream.

English version is reportedly in the works!

Either way, can't wait to see this! May have to get the art book for this as well. I remember the last time I was this excited about a CGI movie from Japan was Final Fantasy, back in 2001! Back then, they don't have HT figures!

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013 CGI film): Captain Harloc

Oh boy, in a not so good development, this film dropped from 2nd place to 7th place in its second weekend in Japan. Definitely not a good sign. Harlock will definitely get released (soon, I hope), but Kei is now questionable...

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013 CGI film): Captain Harloc

Oh boy, in a not so good development, this film dropped from 2nd place to 7th place in its second weekend in Japan. Definitely not a good sign. Harlock will definitely get released (soon, I hope), but Kei is now questionable...

I hope you're wrong. sort of a shocker it dropped that much! :(

looking forward to this release--both the flick, stateside, and the figures: it's the perfect combination, the matsumoto characters revamped by yutaka minowa--my favorite character designer. so far, everything i've seen from the film looks sick. love what he's done with the harlock design. think it could translate well into a figure as the art is 3D. just hope we wont have to wait another year.

Correction:
It dropped to the 9th place instead of 7th place in its second weekend as initially reported...It dropped a whopping 52.8% from the first weekend (from $1.3M USD to a little less than $640k USD). Total BO is now near $3M USD (vs. a budget of $30M USD). This appears to be turning into a visually stunning, but domestic (Japan) box office failure ala Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within...So sad...*sob*

https://boxofficemojo.com/movies/in...=JP&wk=2013W36&id=_fSPACEPIRATECAPTA01&p=.htm

It becomes less likely they will make anyone aside from Harlock...I hope I am wrong...

Last edited:

Didn't think it would do that well, but not THIS bad. Ouch.

I just got my hands on the concept art book of this movie. I must say the level of design detail is truly insane on characters, sets, ships and environments. This is a very impressive effort all around. Too bad the book covers only the design/sketches and didn't cover much of the CG renderings. It's a pity that its BO is not that great in Japan. I am now very curious in how HT translates Harlock himself into a figure given there is so much detail. They are also doing his chair as well...oh my...

A friend of mine just visited Hong Kong and went to the HT store "Toyhunters" and asked the following question:

When will Harlock be available for pre-order?

"Don't know yet, hasn't been announced."

very useful answer indeed...*sigh*

the movie is out already and yet no reveal yet on the fig from HT. what's the deal HT?! let's get this out!

Well, if you think about it, when the Avenger came out in May last year, they didn't announce Iron Man until July! A good 2 months later. Even for the box office bomb, Lone Ranger, which came out in July, the Tonto figure just came out a couple of weeks back, so there is a 1 to 2 month gap. My guess is it would be October before they open for preorder.

ugh! :gah: the inhumanity.

the movie is out already and yet no reveal yet on the fig from HT. what's the deal HT?! let's get this out!

Isn't that generally how they roll?

1239411_10151585714947344_917819061_n.jpg

Believe me it's just the bird and the chair that they are planning to do lol!

Okay, with the announcement of The Wolverine yesterday, the September PO calendar closes for HT. I am quite pissed that they didn't even try to release Harlock himself in the month of release. Well, The Wolverine is 1.5 months behind its release date...so go figure (pun intended)

Harlock is not doing well, they might end up not doing this figure now. I hope they still do though.

Back