1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Man 3: MMS197D02 Mark XLII Diecast Series Official Spec/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A point was brought up in the Robocop thread that I hadn't considered.

Aluminum Diecasting is cheaper, and easier than standard diecasting.
It creates the same look as other types of diecast, with a much reduced weight.

Given the reduced cost ( once the molds are made) I THINK this might likely be the type of diecast that Hot toys is doing.

if this is in fact the case, then it means the end figure will not be any heavier than the earlier ones. Not in any meaningful way, anyways. Which, to me, is a VERY good thing.

opinions?

the one of the left is a PPS

I saw them take out the die cast version to pose (upon request) and it is mostly diecast held up by a plastic skeleton at the moment, so I won't read too much into the figure since it is likely a placeholder.

What exactly makes you think it's a placeholder?

Did the date change already? Wasn't he started in January 2014 - SS has February listed...

What exactly makes you think it's a placeholder?

because when they took it out of the acrylic case, it was loosely held on to what appears to be a plastic skeleton, the parts of the abdomen were shaking around as the guy was posing it so I doubt the actual figure will be so flimsy and loose

ps when I was at the exhibit I asked them if they could repose the mark XLII so that it doesn't look like he is doing a pelvic thrust and they nicely did even though it looked like it was a lot of work

All of this talk is not very comforting. If this turns out to be a loose jointed piece of crap because of the die cast gimmick, then count me out!

Given the reduced cost ( once the molds are made) I THINK this might likely be the type of diecast that Hot toys is doing.

if this is in fact the case, then it means the end figure will not be any heavier than the earlier ones. Not in any meaningful way, anyways. Which, to me, is a VERY good thing.

opinions?
Surprised you haven't gotten any feedback, but if this is the case, I, for one, would be very happy. Aluminium is a quality metal, would give a very nice look and feel (RoboCop especially would be perfect for it) and at the same time not add unnecessary weight (I'd still be able to get a hovering pose with a re-released die-cast Mark IV, for example). Plus it's strong and doesn't feel "cheap", like I guess high-quality plastic does to some folks. Best of both worlds, IMO.

opinions?

I question the notion its cheaper. Toy diecast uses soft cheap metals with low melt temps. Aluminium has a low melt temp but is more costly then others. I doubt they would use aluminium. China is the leading producer of one of the primary components of diecast material. I think the addition of die casting doesn't affect the process much. PVC is a hot melt material requiring machined molds just like diecast.

But I'm just going from what I have read.

he spent 95% of the movie in a BD suit.. not buying this one..I'm pretty sure HT. will pull a fast one on us and release a completely BD next yr..smdh

All of this talk is not very comforting. If this turns out to be a loose jointed piece of crap because of the die cast gimmick, then count me out!

The protoype placeholder looks like that, but the final one won't...
You understand these things are going to take a year to make, and that this one is hand made to show people what it's going to look like, right?

He doesn't get it:slap

Lol.
It's this same thinking that wonders WHY these things take a year to make, when they have one in the store right now!!!!
This is one of the reasons Hot Toys figures prices continue to rise.
ALL costs rise over time. Cost to live, heating, food, fuel, etc.
Now if YOUR costs rise, so do HT's costs.
A lot of people argue that with great success, HT prices should come down over time.
There is a reason this isn't the case, and it's NOT that HT are greedy.
When manufacturing an item(Let's say an iPhone for example). There will be tooling costs for the initial moulds and parts, and an assembly cost per item.
They will assume a certain amount of sales over the 1 year life of the item(As they bring out a new one every year), factor in how much profit they want and that will give them a ~per-unit~ price.
After that year is up and they have a new one on sale, the new one has the "high end" price, and the relegate the old one to a cheaper price point, so people who don't have as much cash can pick up a new one of "Last years' model". They already amortised the tooling and production costs last year, so the development costs(Except for the small labour costs), have already been covered, and all sales are just icing on the cake as that model is *paid for* by the previous year's sales.
With HT, that never happens.
Sure, if they got out the old MKIII Iron Man moulds, they could pump out copies and sell them for $120. The same goes for any "hard body" figures.
But for every NEW figure, costs rise steadily due to the factors i mentioned above.
And for people who wonder why figures cost more, even in a version with a high numbered edition still cost more, the reason is this:
No matter HOW MANY Avengers Captain America figures they make, EVERY tunic needs sewn together by hand. EVERY face and glove and boot needs painted. EVERY Iron Man needs the electronics soldered together.
Their production costs never go down. Only up. Which is why we are seeing an(Approximately) $30 rise per year for normal clothed figures and about $50 per year rise for moulded Iron Man style figures.
It's just about maintaining a profit margin in the face of rising costs for everyone.

/lesson...

:lol

Lol.
It's this same thinking that wonders WHY these things take a year to make, when they have one in the store right now!!!!
A lot of people argue that with great success, HT prices should come down over time.
When manufacturing an item(Let's say an iPhone for example). There will be tooling costs for the initial moulds and parts, and an assembly cost per item.
They will assume a certain amount of sales over the 1 year life of the item(As they bring out a new one every year), factor in how much profit they want and that will give them a ~per-unit~ price.
After that year is up and they have a new one on sale, the new one has the "high end" price, and the relegate the old one to a cheaper price point, so people who don't have as much cash can pick up a new one of "Last years' model". They already amortised the tooling and production costs last year, so the development costs(Except for the small labour costs), have already been covered, and all sales are just icing on the cake as that model is *paid for* by the previous year's sales.
Sure, if they got out the old MKIII Iron Man moulds, they could pump out copies and sell them for $120. The same goes for any "hard body" figures.
But for every NEW figure, costs rise steadily due to the factors i mentioned above.
And for people who wonder why figures cost more, even in a version with a high numbered edition still cost more, the reason is this:
No matter HOW MANY Avengers Captain America figures they make, EVERY tunic needs sewn together by hand. EVERY face and glove and boot needs painted. EVERY Iron Man needs the electronics soldered together.
Their production costs never go down. Only up. Which is why we are seeing an(Approximately) $30 rise per year for normal clothed figures and about $50 per year rise for moulded Iron Man style figures.
It's just about maintaining a profit margin in the face of rising costs for everyone.

/lesson...

Lesson learned for today. I second the motion. :) great key points sir!:clap

And now I know in a year or two. The inflation prices for it will increase. But that storm shadow has some fine detailing . I aggree with that

Lol.

/lesson...

This is how the production costs were lower in the past. HT would make all their figures based off one body. New clothes and head sculpt but same basic under structure. Same goes for almost all the other companies like Sideshow, DiD, and others. Development is easier when you have one size and shape of body to tailor too. When was the last time HT released a figure that didn't have some kind of body modification?

I would like some of the customizers that tailor and produce figures to chime in on how challenging it is to produce these dman things. I know personally it takes me hours and hours to produce one accessory.

Lol.

/lesson...

this is true, however, they will eventually hit a point where they will price their customers out of the market.

There is a difference between Slow increase due to inflation, and a rapid increase becuase tehy think they can get away with it.

While I agree that their production costs ARE a real and prescent thing, I also would be very skeptical of anyone claiming that their current return per figure sale is anything LESS than 500-600%

in short, a company will charge what it thinks the market will pay, and not a penny less.... and I think the 1/6th market as a whole is rapidly approaching something very remiscent of what happened to comic books in the 90's.

this is true, however, they will eventually hit a point where they will price their customers out of the market.

There is a difference between Slow increase due to inflation, and a rapid increase becuase tehy think they can get away with it.

While I agree that their production costs ARE a real and prescent thing, I also would be very skeptical of anyone claiming that their current return per figure sale is anything LESS than 500-600%

in short, a company will charge what it thinks the market will pay, and not a penny less.... and I think the 1/6th market as a whole is rapidly approaching something very remiscent of what happened to comic books in the 90's.

It's possible.
But the only way to cut their costs is to only tackle less complicated subjects.

Back