1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Man 3: MMS197D02 Mark XLII Diecast Series Official Spec/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i find myself going on more trips and buying less hot toys.

years ago, $200 can't get me anywhere, but it can buy hot toys and so i did.

the reverse is true now.

I am not disagreeing with anything said but remember all of this is based on perception. The main reason people are not happy with the prices on here has to do with seeing the prices increase. If you didn't have the knowledge of previous prices you would base value on the object itself. So with the ever expanding collector community, their first impression is that initial price. Most don't know that the prices have steadily been climbing. And let's be honest, that first impression in this hobby is pretty impressive. Its like going to a magic show. You sit and stare and wonder how do they do it. And if you don't, then you probably won't stay in this hobby beyond that first experience. And you pay that price because that's what it costs and because you don't know any better.

I am not disagreeing with anything said but remember all of this is based on perception. The main reason people are not happy with the prices on here has to do with seeing the prices increase. If you didn't have the knowledge of previous prices you would base value on the object itself. So with the ever expanding collector community, their first impression is that initial price. Most don't know that the prices have steadily been climbing. And let's be honest, that first impression in this hobby is pretty impressive. Its like going to a magic show. You sit and stare and wonder how do they do it. And if you don't, then you probably won't stay in this hobby beyond that first experience. And you pay that price because that's what it costs and because you don't know any better.

Great post. With the increasing pricing of $300 or more per piece, it remains to be seen if the number of new collectors will be able to help HT keep up profits at this clip with many of the older collectors getting priced out.

Little known fact.

Gold and diamond have artificial scarcity. The people/coproations who own the majority of the land these things are found on controll how much is allowed into the market in a given year. They also control the price by agreeing not to undercut oneanother.

Before I get "tinfoil hat" accusations, allow me to back t hat up a little bit, Excluding my history as a jewler, and having been told this NUMEROUS times ( which i unfortunately CAN'T back up)

I can offer you a bit of logic to consider.

Diamonds are terribly rare.. yet we use them in tools near constantly.
Gold is highly prized...but again, why?

Amusingly, the percieved value of gold and diamonds is a holdover from human history.

Diamond is expensive today, BECUASE it was terribly difficult to work with before the advent of lasers. You need to remember that at one point in time, all lapidary was done by hand, and imagine how diffult it would be to work with diamond.
The cost is directly related to the work put into it to shape and cut the stone.

Gold, on the other hand was higly prized by metlworkers for the opposite reason. Gold is highly malable, and never oxidizes. It's loved by metalworkers for these two facts, as it is much easier to work with, allowing for a greater degree of detail to be put into it. All that leads to nicer things being able to be made from it.

Nicer piece of art = Higher percieved value.

the important thing there is the word percieved.

" an object is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and not a penny more" is a rather simple concept, but also a very true one.

To the other question, Why are they stupid? There is an aold saying that " a fool and his money are soon parted".

Let's take Sean long, a fairly well known youtube toy reviewer as an example. Long is a collector of most anything.. he was even fetaured on collection intervention at one point. What's interesting about sean long, is that at one point in time, he was known for spending OBSCENE amounts of money on ebay to get acess to stolen Hasbro prototype transformers, in order to get reviews out several months ahead of anyone else.
And when I say obscene, I'm talking in excess of 1000$-$2000 .
For a hasbro toy, that would see Mass release a few months down the line, for 9-15$.

I know that some people would say " well, if he can afford it, so what?" But here is the thing, he couldn't. After making said purchases, he would then make tear-filled youtube videos, complainign that due to "unforseen circumstances" he had no money to pay rent, or buy food for the month, and asked for his viewers to donate money to him so he wouldn't starve, or get evicted.

And people would give it. He did this SEVERAL times in fact. So much so that other youtbe reviewers posted videos about careful spending, and that he needed to prioritize better, not wasting 100% of his income on such things as the prototypes.

I suppose that also begs the question of who is more the fool.

:lol

Bottom line, diamonds are only worth so much because one company practically owns nearly every major diamond mine in the world, de beers. Everyone allows this because they too are making a huge profit. The same applies here, HT controls the supply and because of this can control the demand. Again as I said earlier when you look at how many of these figures are made on a global level it really isn't that much so I don't really see the prices going/slowing down anytime soon. Say what you will but for the most part HT makes some pretty amazing figures, yes there are a few things you can nit pick here and there but for the most part you get a good product. Are they making a huge profit per figure? Most likely yes but you have to also add into account the overhead it cost to run this business, all the R & D that is used on each figure not to mention the high cost of buying the licensing they have to pay these companies to even be allowed to make this stuff. That aint cheap.

And as for your example of sean long I don't know what your point really was, it only proves that there are/is always someone willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for this type of stuff and as long they exist prices are only going to go up :(

:exactly: :goodpost:

I really don't know how much further they can push the envelope on the pricing of these things before interest drops off a lot.

It's funny, I've heard that comment a lot ever since I started collecting. Each time I nod thinking the same thing, yet each time the theory is proven wrong. New money will always find its way.

There was the $90 ceiling on Star Wars 1/6th. Then the $100. People screaming that they would never pay $150 for a toy. But it happened. Then $200. Everyone here has seen the $250 threshold pop. Now $300. We're headed to the $400 ceiling... and it will pop too. Tamashii 3PO, Iron Monger, BD VII all moving the dial in that direction. Some will drop out... but will be replaced by people with more expendable cash and fresh blood.

True, 1/6th collecting en mass won't go on forever, but it won't be the pricing that kills it.

It's funny, I've heard that comment a lot ever since I started collecting. Each time I nod thinking the same thing, yet each time the theory is proven wrong. New money will always find its way.

There was the $90 ceiling on Star Wars 1/6th. Then the $100. People screaming that they would never pay $150 for a toy. But it happened. Then $200. Everyone here has seen the $250 threshold pop. Now $300. We're headed to the $400 ceiling... and it will pop too. Tamashii 3PO, Iron Monger, BD VII all moving the dial in that direction. Some will drop out... but will be replaced by people with more expendable cash and fresh blood.

True, 1/6th collecting en mass won't go on forever, but it won't be the pricing that kills it.

:goodpost: Well said sir.

I think I do pretty well for myself financially, but we all have bills and life expenses that come first. At least I hope they come first for the majority of us. I have a difficult time believing that the average collector in this hobby wouldn't be taken aback by $400 for an basic MMS Hot Toys action figure.

Unfortunately, you might be right, though. They push the price up and up and people keep ordering them, so I guess it is very possible that people will just keep paying whatever price they ask no matter what. I'd think there has to be a limit at some point where enough would drop out to no longer keep profits up where they are, but like I said, I could be wrong.

Whether it's because of loss of collector interest or a slowing down of the secondary market, I think this hobby will lose steam some time down the line similar to the comics and cards craze of the 90s. Regardless, I'm happy that I got the cool stuff I have now. Even if it ended today, I think it was worth it and I'm happy I got into this hobby even if I think prices are insane these days.

I think I do pretty well for myself financially, but we all have bills and life expenses that come first. At least I hope they come first for the majority of us. I have a difficult time believing that the average collector in this hobby wouldn't be taken aback by $400 for an basic MMS Hot Toys action figure.

Unfortunately, you might be right, though. They push the price up and up and people keep ordering them, so I guess it is very possible that people will just keep paying whatever price they ask no matter what. I'd think there has to be a limit at some point where enough would drop out to no longer keep profits up where they are, but like I said, I could be wrong.

Whether it's because of loss of collector interest or a slowing down of the secondary market, I think this hobby will lose steam some time down the line similar to the comics and cards craze of the 90s. Regardless, I'm happy that I got the cool stuff I have now. Even if it ended today, I think it was worth it and I'm happy I got into this hobby even if I think prices are insane these days.

nah, we will just see a flood of youtube videos begging people for money so they can still afford rent, after they shell out 2699.99$ for that Hot toys Iron man MkIII ver 9.7
:lol

that, or people will just keep duming them on the for-sale section.

Hell, how many Tamishii 3po's are on there o for 350 shipped now? there were quite a few last week.

I don't like the price hikes any more then the rest of you and I am honestly reaching my disposable income threshold, like I imagine many are as well. I'm having to buy WAY less, and avoid impulse ordering. There are many figures I wish I could get, but thems the breaks.

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to HT this time and will reserve judgment until I have a die cast product in hand before I decide whether the price is justified for the "premium materials" and advanced engineering"

Peoples wages frozen and/or reduced isn't helping either. It's about to get really bad in the UK this year. Yet politicians are putting things in place to get wage rises for 2015 for over £100,000 while so many people have had theirs butchered/frozen for years, cut or laid off.

There's lots of people here and Ireland now, it's food or heating.

I can't even get street lamps changed in my area anymore. Nearly my street is in complete darkness now. I phone up and they don't care. Yet peoples taxes goes towards this.

Last edited:
Prices will continue to rise. The hobby bubble will pop. And you will find another new hobby to enjoy. Like it or hate it, it's a cycle we've all been through at one time or another. Unfortunately, this hobby will be no different. Does a $500 price tag seem so unrealistic in the not so distant future for a doll? Hell, people are paying $400+ for a Robocop doll that comes with a chair.

Prices will continue to rise. The hobby bubble will pop. And you will find another new hobby to enjoy. Like it or hate it, it's a cycle we've all been through at one time or another. Unfortunately, this hobby will be no different. Does a $500 price tag seem so unrealistic in the not so distant future for a doll? Hell, people are paying $400+ for a Robocop doll that comes with a chair.

hahahahah .

Poor robocop

Not me i just want robo and ed, i dont need gimmick's

I don't like the price hikes any more then the rest of you and I am honestly reaching my disposable income threshold, like I imagine many are as well. I'm having to buy WAY less, and avoid impulse ordering. There are many figures I wish I could get, but thems the breaks.

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to HT this time and will reserve judgment until I have a die cast product in hand before I decide whether the price is justified for the "premium materials" and advanced engineering"

Quite right, Even though I could possibly afford it, I'd feel very guilty shelling out more than £200 for one figure. That's my limit (admittedly I've had a couple of exceptions in the past).

Impulse buying is so easy and I was seriously going to put down my money for the Mark XLII. For me the best way to avoid jumping into a pre-order is to leave it for a few days, then see if I still want it that badly.

A few weeks ago, my baby brother of 19 was oo-ing and aa-ing over the iPad, which cost about £350. He'd been wanting it for weeks and had been doing the sums to work out his monthly expenses and how much he could save per month. This made me feel bad about window shopping on eBay for figures. Sure, it's my hard earned money and I already pay his college rent each month but on some level it made me feel guilty and irresponsible about lavishing £200 on myself. I'm not a parent but I'm sure those on the forum who have kids or someone to support would understand.

Last edited:
Quite right, Even though I could possibly afford it, I'd feel very guilty shelling out more than £200 for one figure. That's my limit (admittedly I've had a couple of exceptions in the past).

Impulse buying is so easy and I was seriously going to put down my money for the Mark XLII. For me the best way to avoid jumping into a pre-order is to leave it for a few days, then see if I still want it that badly.

A few weeks ago, my baby brother of 19 was oo-ing and aa-ing over the iPad, which cost about £350. He'd been wanting it for weeks and had been doing the sums to work out his monthly expenses and how much he could save per month. This made me feel bad about window shopping on eBay for figures. Sure, it's my hard earned money and I already pay his college rent each month but on some level it made me feel guilty and irresponsible about lavishing £200 on myself. I'm not a parent but I'm sure those on the forum who have kids or someone to support would understand.

Oh, I definitely get that. Part of the reason why I've cut the majority of hot toys out of my spending. My Wolverine will be a Year this month. The wife and I are starting to save up for A house, and trying to tackle the mountian of student debt we've both racked up.
But even then, if I didn't need to, The 1/6th market is rapidly going over my "reasonable cost" level.

And all this talk of how much it costs to make and produce certian figures... may i draw your attention to the LOTR figures coming from asmus? you can't tell me that the production costs for their witch king are any less than most of what Hot toys, or sideshow's are.

Yet their witch-king is fully 1/2 of what Hot toys charges. WITH a metal helmet and armor. and fully articulated hands as well as pre-posed swappable ones, in addition to a specialy modded Liscensed Kaustic plastic body, made taller just for them.

My point, Hot toys and sideshow charge what they do, becuase people will pay it.

Like was said earlier, this bubble is going to pop.

Back