1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Man 3: MMS197D02 Mark XLII Diecast Series Official Spec/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JazzInc your BD mod work is exceptional! Wonderful techniques you have mastered there and such attention to detail - love them all.

JazzInc your BD mod work is exceptional! Wonderful techniques you have mastered there and such attention to detail - love them all.

Thanks so much man! I really appreciate it. I always wonder how people will respond. It's a critical crowd here, so that really means something when you mod something that should be kept original and intact, including the brown shipper. :D

Some bad news for my fig. I did get the updated arms with the new joint but the part that holds the arm to said joint just sorta failed on me. Literally went to pick this guy up and arm comes falling off, took some pics. Gonna send these into sideshow for a replacement
d12c84c73a2b2a1a2d11f278076a3d1a.jpg

70041b8cee6c20de2b65a2e3a7869005.jpg

4890fa0e67e4791b90fc50d69e92e4ba.jpg

Im just thinking it was just a bad settling of plastic, hopefully isolated.

As others have mentioned, that does look like a different fault, to the problem reported on the first batch.. hope Sideshow get your replacement sorted quickly.

Here are some shots of mine. I did a repaint (as usual) to get it more screen accurate, which meant toning down the 'yellow' for starters. And then, since I like the battle damaged look, I added battle damage. I don't like battle damaged parts on an otherwise mint figure. Just looks wrong and mismatched. I hope you'll give me some feedback!

View attachment 130733

:rock

Mine came in to the UK on Thursday but got held at Gatwick. :<

They released it, though, and it'll be with me by Friday. So that's nice.

Mine hasn't even shipped, I paid for it last wensday and with the holiday it won't ship until at least Tuesday. Almost a full week:impatient:

Guh, this shoulder **** makes me iffy on getting the 42 anytime soon. I don't play with/move my figures much anyways, but I still don't want the arm to drop off randomly.

I definitely only buying this fig from Sideshow or BBTS or anyplace I can replace defective figures. No private seller for this fig.

Some bad news for my fig. I did get the updated arms with the new joint but the part that holds the arm to said joint just sorta failed on me. Literally went to pick this guy up and arm comes falling off, took some pics. Gonna send these into sideshow for a replacement

Thanks guys, it is definitely a different shoulder problem and I haven't seen or heard of anyone else's breaking like this. Like I said, hope this was just a fluke.

And I agree, no private sellers guys, buy from somewhere where they do exchanges. No ebay preorders ;)

I finally received my MK42, I'm a bit overwhelmed. It's quite stunning, the colors are spot on and it just looks intimidating.

When I pulled it out from the box, the right arm did fall off though and it seems a bit loose, but nothing is broken which is comforting. Just going to keep the Diecast's in museum poses for the most part with the Legion in flying poses around.

In all honesty I told myself if I get a defective 42, I was done hehehehe. Since I have a small collection would've been easy. Guess it's the love hate relationship of HTs collecting. Luckily 42 was awesome. Now my wallet is worried.

That's the same as the previous shoulder issue. The silver plastic ring on the arm snaps and the entire arm comes off.

Rorywan is correct, I checked back in the thread and some of the early reports, did show a break in that part of the articulation -

Not my pictures, some guy posted this on toysdaily

Apparently it is not some one off individual QC issue, the entire first batch are like this.
Numerous HK collectors are reporting issues with theirs.

If you apply enough force to the arm joint or move it a number of times, it will bunch up and break
The topic author said he moved his MK 42's arm less than 10 times before this happened.

Hot Toys and Secret Base are starting to delete all FB posts regarding arm breakage.
Here's the original topic for those who are interested

https://toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-225812-1-1.html

View attachment 119736View attachment 119737

I had mistakenly only remembered the photos with a break in a different part of the articulation -

View attachment 119933
A new break on the mark 42! Taken from a guy on facebook!!

Looks like this figure will need to be handled with care ..and Hot Toys need to revert the articulation design to the more robust joint, used for their WM2 and IP.
:gah:

Rorywan is correct, I checked back in the thread and some of the early reports, did show a break in that part of the articulation -

I had mistakenly only remembered the photos with a break in a different part of the articulation -

Looks like this figure will need to be handled with care ..and Hot Toys need to revert the articulation design to the more robust joint, used for their WM2 and IP.
:gah:

Took me half an hour and I found that post :lol

It just might be it needs to have a stronger joint like you said, this plastic ring holding the arm up isn't cutting it

An entire day to repaint? It really shows, you made a great-looking figure look even better! BD on the legs makes this really pop.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409518564.964361.jpg

Thanks. Yes, from the base silver to the washes but especially in the dark and silver damage and chipping have to be done by hand piece by piece. Especially the silver is done with the tiny brush that you only dip in minutely for a minimum drop so you can apply one chip. Go figure. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took me half an hour and I found that post :lol

It just might be it needs to have a stronger joint like you said, this plastic ring holding the arm up isn't cutting it

Yep.. looks like Hot Toys have tried too hard to increase the articulation capabilities and have reached a tipping point between aspiration, and robust design.. hopefully they will revert to the WM2/IP shoulder design for future releases.. I doubt we will get a further 'hot fix' at this late stage in production of the Mk42, beyond the existing change to a single plastic bush, to reduce friction pressure.

I would say you might be right that it might be a defective piece since had it broken right out of the box. I had an issue with my patriot right arm and side show did provide me with a new arm I think they will do the same for you .

However with so much articulation its has got me worried in the future about this figure I do not push the shoulder extension all the way in because i think the repeated pull will strain that same joint .

So more banana hands collectors broke their **** again so lets all curse HT out :lecture

I'm simply trying to reach a balanced conclusion, on the evidence available.. Hot Toys have released some absolutely stunning Iron Man figures recently and I'm pretty sure I'm still going to get the MK42.. but I am going to handle it carefully... very carefully.

I would also prefer to see Hot Toys drop this version of the shoulder articulation for future figure releases, and revert to the WM2/IP version.. because there does appear to be a fragility inherent in this particular design.. just saying

Back